Der Red Sidewinder build....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Well I built the Estes Mega Der Red Max ,and then I built a FatBoy "Sidewinder" (in low power)......

....so I had them sitting side by each and thought ,HEY ,time for a build :wink:

4" lOC bt
Loc nosecone
1/8" Baltic Birch fin core
1/16" Basswood for the skins
29mm MMT
49" tall

I actually started this build last Friday ,so things will move along nice and fast (for once) ,so the new camera will get broken in LOL

First, the fin cores.

Paul T

php84zMxLAM.jpg

php125pJJAM.jpg

phpNhynlwAM.jpg

1/16" Basswood skins ,laminated and sanded.

A few weeks ago, I wnet crazy in the old woodshop and made a million centering rings in different diameters and motor sizes ,so I have plenty of scratch building to do.

Sorry Jim ,I forgot to take picutres of them :wink:

Paul T

php0SXEE8AM.jpg

php9XnPxcAM.jpg

The Basswood skins have been cut and ready to be laminated to the cores.

I`ll tell you ,that was a lot of Basswood !

Paul T

php7F0gHuAM.jpg

php9EUUACAM.jpg

I used Titebond woodglue to laminate the fins ,then stacked them betwixt wax paper and sandwiched between weights, nice and flat.

This was done Tuesday ,so since then they have been sanded ,given a coat of West Epoxy and sanded smooth.

Paul t

php4SutubAM.jpg

phpUnGnLIAM.jpg

phpXRsZJWAM.jpg

phpyVfe7CAM.jpg

Made forward canard fins from 1/8" BB plywood.

I kept the fins smaller than scale ,to give better flight performance ,also will keep them back further toward the aft.

These will be TTW.

Paul T

phpXFy5DbAM.jpg

Got the fins on (did this Wednesday) ,just trying to catch up on this build.

Paul T

phpBvIqrtPM.jpg

phpfc0BJDPM.jpg

phpfpJyAAPM.jpg

phppbNxePPM.jpg

The spirals are filled with Bondo spot putty ,just a bit of sanding needed.

Paul t

phpQPcgqHPM.jpg

I made some windows for the seeker head section using Monokote and a punch.

I used black for the base ,red and silver.

Paul T

php2OuZy7AM.jpg

phpDbQrozAM.jpg

phpzyQkNmAM.jpg

Next I made some rolleron covers ,again using Monokote black and aluminum,as well I punched out some circles and used screw heads I got made by Mark(stickershock).

I had Mark make these a few years ago ,along with bolt heads and assorted dots......very handy for adding details.

Paul T

php3qtkYcAM.jpg

phpMBF6WPAM.jpg

All caught up on this project ,and got it painted yesterday while it was warm and sunny.....and just one BUG...but I managed to get him off ,well most of him.....left the legs behind :facepalm:

I used Duplicolor Color Match acrylic lacquer "Pewter" and then when it dried (very quickly I might add) I shot 4 coats of Rustoleum 2X Apple Red (great paint)

This was over several coats of Rustoleum 2X white primer ,also very nice stuff.

So while this dries/cures a bit ,I shall break out my sewing kit and make a shockcord, using some nice hot pink 1/2 inch nylon.

Paul T

php4DHXRjAM.jpg

phpCLoqAvAM.jpg

Here I used my Kevlar thread and a medium sized sewing needle to sew a loop on the nylon SC,then applied a shrink tube to keep everything nice and neat.

I`m not a big fan of bulky knots ,and this technique is very easy to do ,very strong and works well for all type and sizes of nylon SC ,although a thinmble is sometimes needed ,but I have tough fingers, so no biggy.

I also sometimes sew a solid welded SS ring on the loop for bigger projects,then quicklink the parts together.

Paul T

phpkVNAf1AM.jpg

phpOffLadAM.jpg

Here`s an inline loop for the parachute connection,sewn a distance down from the nosecone.A quicklink and swivel is attached here for the chute.

Paul T

phpmbtTPKAM.jpg

phpomMRhMAM.jpg

And here`s the whole shockcord system ready to go to the Kevlar SC that goes to the eyebolt in the MMT CR.

Nice nad neat and very strong ,and takes no time at all.:wink:

Heck ,I even managed to fix a crotch hole in my Carhartt workpants at the same time....but not with kevlar LOL

Paul T

php1Eth3rAM.jpg

php3uybbtAM.jpg

phpuoy1CEAM.jpg

Wow you really whipped this one together, look great.

AT

Wow you really whipped this one together, look great.

AT

Thanks !

It`s a pretty easy build ,the fins took the longest though ,but that`s to be expected.Like I mentioned (I think) I started this a week ago ,so things are moving right along....FOR ONCE ! LOL

Cheers

Paul T

THe nosecone is now done and pin striped with screws added.I had to place the screws on the nosecone base as they did not fit on top of the skulls where they belong ,the canard fins caused this space restriction.

Paul T

phpE55idGPM.jpg

phpkaxkSePM.jpg

I got a yellow stripe on, made using MonoKote ,and the red forward stripe was painted yesterday.

The rest of the paint on the rocket is cured enough ,so I can now apply the Stickershock vinyl that mark made for me.

I should be finished tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul t

php0DnFOiPM.jpg

phpHVUssyPM.jpg

Paul

As always a very nice job indeed!!

Thanks Dan !

The 1/8" plywood cores were rough cut on my tablesaw and bandsaw ,then using a master template ,I pinned the cores to it and ran them on my router tables using a straight cutting template bit.

The Basswood skins were cut the good old fashion way...Xacto knife !

The skins are 1/16 thick,so they cut easily ,but I`ve cut basswood fins as thick as 1/4" with a knife no problems ,just takes a few passes ,as you know from your Skonkewolf(sp.) build, I love using basswood !

Take care

Paul T

Thanks Dan !

The 1/8" plywood cores were rough cut on my tablesaw and bandsaw ,then using a master template ,I pinned the cores to it and ran them on my router tables using a straight cutting template bit.

The Basswood skins were cut the good old fashion way...Xacto knife !

The skins are 1/16 thick,so they cut easily ,but I`ve cut basswood fins as thick as 1/4" with a knife no problems ,just takes a few passes ,as you know from your Skonkewolf(sp.) build, I love using basswood !

Take care

Paul T

I think the basswood from 1/16" - 1/8" cuts fairly easy if it's a pretty basic design. Anything complex I think you would be best to cut on a band saw. Paul you have a true talent for what you do. Your builds are exceptional!

I think the basswood from 1/16" - 1/8" cuts fairly easy if it's a pretty basic design. Anything complex I think you would be best to cut on a band saw. Paul you have a true talent for what you do. Your builds are exceptional!

Thanks Dan ,it stems from my love of woodworking/metalworking and plenty of tinkering!

I buy those little yellow utility knives with the retractable snap off blades from the local dollar store ,they work really well for cutting thicker Basswood,again it just takes a few extra passes.The nice part about using a razor knife as opposed to using a bandsaw is the edges and shape of the fins come out nice and clean without tear out and so require only minor sanding of the edges.

I then sand the surfaces with 320 grit ,and apply a couple coats of SIG wood sealer (a dope with talc powder as a filler) and then sand smooth again with 320.

The SIG sealer dries very very quickly ,and is applied with a flat brush ,which I clean with lacquer thinner ,so may be used many times over.You can also thin the sealer with lacquer thinner ,as it comes pretty thick in the jar.Aerogloss sealer is pretty much the same thing ,but I use SIG because it`s readily available from my local R/C shop.

That`s why I like Basswood so much ,that beauty tight grain and density makes it easy to fill and work.

Cheers

Paul T

1/16" Basswood skins ,laminated and sanded.

A few weeks ago, I wnet crazy in the old woodshop and made a million centering rings in different diameters and motor sizes ,so I have plenty of scratch building to do.

Sorry Jim ,I forgot to take picutres of them :wink:

Paul T

No pictures? Then I don't believe you made them. I bet you bought them, you faker! :tongue:

THe nosecone is now done and pin striped with screws added.I had to place the screws on the nosecone base as they did not fit on top of the skulls where they belong ,the canard fins caused this space restriction.

Paul T

Great work on your nose cone,the gold is monikote?I would like to try that on my Bullpup build if you don't mind.Overall a Qquake2k level build.Thanks,cjp.

Back