Der BIGGER Red Max™

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to start a shooting war but why is the Red Max so popular? Is it the decals, the proportions, the fins?
It really doesn't make me want to run a hot bubble bath and pop a bottle of wine.
But hey, to each their own. But having said that I think these are rockin' upscales.
There is something about the unabashed goofiness of DRM along with the cartoon-like proportions that I find appealing. That the general planform performs well is another big factor - however if DRM derived rockets didn’t fly well the looks wouldn’t make up for a lack of performance. For rocketeers of a certain age there is also a definite nostalgia factor - the DRM was pretty big for a sport flyer back when it hit the Estes catalog and the graphics were a pretty big deal, fitting in with the general hippy-dippy, chopper, show car modeling gestalt of the times. Think of the DRM in the same light as a hot rod T-bucket or a stretched out Frisco look chopper - an exaggerated look of performance with a bit of anti-establishment attitude.

Careful going down the Red Max hole - I am in deep ;)

YtgUFfu.jpg

Have to admit, the Goblin is real popular too. Here's a 7.5" one I built in 2001 on a Rx N800. The main chute is in the nose cone so the motor can go all the way to the av bay. It also flies well on 75/3840 and 98/5120 reloads.

Last edited:
I've also wondered why the appeal? I've never ever had a desire to build or fly one... Until one day a short while ago (2 months?) straight out of the blue like a bolt of lightning, I wanted one! And so I built a hot wire foam cutter... And purchased some tubing, and got my fiberglass groove on (although I'm really out of practice)... 16365107117503861055310688534963.jpg
I'll do a condensed build thread on it. I take no responsibility for unsafe breath holding! It will probably progress really really slow.
-Ken

Alright ...I am getting confused here ! Is this a Goblin + DRM love child ?

Yep...Your image looks like a goblin shape with DRM colors.

-Goblin 4 fins, DRM 3 fins.
-Goblin fins span longer than root, DRM span about equal to root length.
-Goblin highr Length to Diameter Ratio than DRM.
Estes_DerRedMax_1.pngEstes_Goblin-1.jpg

I've also wondered why the appeal? I've never ever had a desire to build or fly one... Until one day a short while ago (2 months?) straight out of the blue like a bolt of lightning, I wanted one! And so I built a hot wire foam cutter... And purchased some tubing, and got my fiberglass groove on (although I'm really out of practice)... View attachment 489395
I'll do a condensed build thread on it. I take no responsibility for unsafe breath holding! It will probably progress really really slow.
-Ken
let me know when you do !

The Estes MDRM is an amazing flyer.

I also own the AMW Fibermax and recently flew it on the J275W and it also flew amazing. No video though....

If you want a rocket that you can grown into, get the Fibermax. The Estes is no longer made but as many have stated, you can build one up from a mix of parts from Estes and other MFGs that jumped in to fill the gap when Estes made the poor decision to end production.

The Estes MDRM is arguably their best rocket ever made, in my opinion.

The Estes MDRM is an amazing flyer.

I also own the AMW Fibermax and recently flew it on the J275W and it also flew amazing. No video though....

If you want a rocket that you can grown into, get the Fibermax. The Estes is no longer made but as many have stated, you can build one up from a mix of parts from Estes and other MFGs that jumped in to fill the gap when Estes made the poor decision to end production.

The Estes MDRM is arguably their best rocket ever made, in my opinion.

Did you recover the rocket ?

Did you recover the rocket ?

Yep!! A few weeks later there was a big wind storm and I took a chance and drove back up there (Bong Recreation Area, Wisconsin) to see if it blew down and sure enough, it came down. There was a little water damage but I was able to repair it and its flown several times since! :) Its great an on HJ128W as well as the H115DM.

Latest posts

Back