Der BIGGER Red Max™

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeta

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Rocket Heads !

fell in love with the der big red max this weekend and want to know about upscale kits out there.

Starting with the Estes 3" Der Big Red Max, were does it go from there, I hear that limited runs of up-scales sell out fast so what's available ?

Thanks !
Zeta

Sorry in advance to anyone that thought they were coming here to see a monster size Red Max build.... (not saying I wouldn't in the future )

Looks like performancehobbies.com has a Smokin Rockets Kit 6” diameter Red Max.

Here's my Mega Der on an H135W - about as big as I'd go with the hollow core fins. I did the clone with Semroc aftermarket rings and fins - painted at 30oz. If you go light, you can use a lot of mid-power motors. If you go plywood or glass, go big on the MMT : )

Cheers / Robert

VID_20210710_125934_exported_4198.jpg

Robert! Thanks you read my mind. I was going to ask about that. I assume your Max with the hollow core fins has a 29mm MMT? and when you say if you go heavy go big that you are talking about a 38mm or 54MM? Which airframes did you use and how much does your lighter Max weigh ?

Thanks
Zeta

Mine with Semroc fins is 29mm. If plywood, maybe 38mm. If you can get an AMW Fiberglass Max, whatever you want probably! I used the Estes airframe and had no issues with the H135W. Again, 30oz. I used this rocket with an H115DM for my level one cert. After the above flight, Max was retired to the shop and is hanging above the workbench.
Here's a lift on a G80 New Thunder.G80NT-6 1.jpgG80NT-6 3.jpg

So here is what this thread is really about ..... we were inspired by a MDRM at the range. The red and black color scheme clicked with us and it had a lot of real estate for college decals .... I didn't want to copy the Max but took the form factor cues: drew this up on O.R. ....and ordered some parts from the blue tube guy....I am kinda new to all this so I am a little nuts over stability ??!?!?! so these fins were giving me good numbers but lines diverge from MDRM maybe a bit much ...whatevs ... our kid will get this one for Christmas !
1636395019553.png

Last edited:
Not to start a shooting war but why is the Red Max so popular? Is it the decals, the proportions, the fins?
It really doesn't make me want to run a hot bubble bath and pop a bottle of wine.
But hey, to each their own. But having said that I think these are rockin' upscales.

Scratch build one. These are all 4"Bluetube.

I gave away the fin templates on this site hoping someone could use them.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/fin-templates.166872/

View attachment 482507

So here is what this thread is really about ..... we were inspired by a MDRM at the range. The red and black color scheme clicked with us and it had a lot of real estate for college decals .... I didn't want to copy the Max but took the form factor cues: drew this up on O.R. ....and ordered some parts from the blue tube guy....I am kinda new to all this so I am a little nuts over stability ??!?!?! so these fins were giving me good numbers but lines diverge from MDRM maybe a bit much ...whatevs ... our kid will get this one for Christmas !
View attachment 489164
You could call it a Goblin Max, as your fins look closer to a Goblin. What cone did you use, it looks to pointy?

Latest posts

Back