Deltie Airshow - materials?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedar999

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm awaiting delivery of the Deltie Airshow. As this is intended for the enjoyment of three exuberant and lovable but terminally clumsy kids, I'm expecting more than a few glider casualties, probably even before the first launch. So I'd like to be able to scratch build some backups to have on hand.

Problem is that I don't know the thickness(es?) of the balsa. What thickness? And is it all the same thickness, or is the fuselage thicker? Or even made from something other than balsa?

Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks,
Paul

[EDIT follows]
P.S. The reason I can't wait to get the kit before ordering the balsa is that we are planning (weather permitting) to build and launch next weekend, as extended family will be in town for other reasons and would enjoy the show and be great recovery helpers. I don't expect the kit to arrive until Tuesday, and that doesn't leave much time to figure out what I need to order, actually order it, and then actually receive what I need and cut and build it into gliders on time. All of my local hobby stores have gone under in the past few years, and it's now a long drive for me to procure even a few sticks of balsa in decent widths.

Last edited:
You're welcome. Your thread has got me interested in trying a double and triple fly-baby.

Sounds like fun! It happens that my son and his two best friends, a brother and sister, are inseparable, so the idea of a rocket carrying three gliders was impossible for me to resist. If you have young ones around I'm sure they'd appreciate your efforts.

Best,
Paul

Back