Delta X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason I've been on a Delta craze this month....here is my Delta X-15. Since they never built one and there were several designs, I chose one of the more common with the diamond wing tips and markings, and some panel lines that seemed reasonable....I also addded some 3mm depron covers on the sides to give it more of the shape of the side strake/tunnels..It added a lot of stiffness with no weight.

It is depron 6mm cores, 22 in winspan(slightly oversized) and 55.5" long, 14 oz rtf on 24mm reloads,

I also show the X-15 Delta next to my original X-15-2 to show the relative length difference, I basically used the same tail and nose and stretched the fuse about 10" which is approx the relative difference in the designs, and then changed the wing to delta.

Frank
WP_000608.jpgWP_000613.jpgWP_000615.jpg

Last edited:
I live the Icarus! Looking forward to flying photos.

I wonder if you can post details of the full-flying controls on the Icarus. It looks like the servos are deep inside the fuselage "wedge," but it's hard to see from here.

I've been thinking of a larger glider in a similar configuration, curious to see how this works out for you in this scale.

Ari.

Frank,

I love the delta x-15! Can't wait to see that one in flight.

Where do you find storage space for all the planes you build? :D

Mike Mc.

You're worse than me Frank!

Ari.

rcstorage_348.jpg

I have family coming for xmas so I had to clean my airplanes and rockets out of the spare bedroom this weekend. Now I have them stuffed in closets, under the bed, in the attic... My wife just walks by and shakes her head!

Mike Mc.

You're worse than me Frank!

Ari.

rcstorage_348.jpg

Hey Ari I see your Mini Ultra Stick. I love my Mini Ultra Stick, it rocks out really hard --- but I did a conversion (.25 LA) so it's a slightly different beast :wink:

It also has a bigger brother --- a converted 25e Ultra Stick (TT Pro .36)

ConvertedToGlow.jpgBigBrother.jpgReadyToGo.jpg

Last edited:
Mus's are great, I flew mine a lot as a video camera platform with an e-25 conversion...had to do 3 point takeoffs and landings due to no prop clearance..

you just need to do good landings, i never had a problem, but lots of folks found it easy to rip out the landing gear..

Frank

Hey Ari I see your Mini Ultra Stick. I love my Mini Ultra Stick, it rocks out really hard --- but I did a conversion (.25 LA) so it's a slightly different beast :wink:

It also has a bigger brother --- a converted 25e Ultra Stick (TT Pro .36)

View attachment 109682View attachment 109683View attachment 109684

I ripped out the LG twice on that one. I expect I can do better on concrete than on dirt which is what I used to fly from. I took a break from R/C shortly after MUST's second crash (marriage, kid, divorce, co-parenting). It last flew in 2007 I think. I now have an asphalt runway I can use, and Moffett launches are on concrete.

I do keep thinking about converting it to 29mm SU power. I would route the exhaust under the fuse, between gear legs. Need a folding prop for testing.

Ari.

I have not ripped out a landing gear yet but have ripped out a modified glow firewall in the 25e conversion a few weeks ago. I fixed her back up and allowed my step son to fly her 2 weekends ago. It was his 1st time at RC and I had him on a budy box (not really a trainer plane but it was what I had). It was very nerve racking and after a few tank fulls I was done for the day and went home with an intact plane (just barely :y: )

Currently we have a printing press, conveyor belt runway. I fly my Mini .25 LA conversion and the 25e (TT Pro .36) conversion on a weekly basis as long as the wind is less then 20mph gusts. Both are ready to go for tomorrow. Forecast is for a bit windy (10 - 15mph) and only about 50 degrees but will give them a go. I am about to order (this weekend) some more parts for the RCBG project.

Latest posts

Back