Define slow burning propellant.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really doesnt matter whether you are measuring linear or radial burn rate ...APCP will burn in a direction normal to the exposed surface.

thats funny, it was a key arguement in the ATF lawsuit.... your statement, is directly oposite of what we said.... the ATF was using a radial burn rate, and we said, you need to measure it as a linear burn rate to "be accurate".

My motors i make dont particularly go "BOOM"... so I figure my rates are faily close to have "normal motors"

Well, two possibilities come to mind. You could have choked down the nozzle a bit, increasing chamber pressure (which would increase the burn rate, increase thrust, decrease the burntime). Or, you could have changed the geometry to increase the burn surface area (for example larger cores or a star grain), possibly with a corresponding increase in nozzle throat area, keeping the burnrate constant but decreasing the web thickness. Between the two options, I would guess that you probably did the first, since it is substantially easier and you probably weren't running anywhere close to the limit of your motor case (so the increased chamber pressure wasn't a problem).

I would point out that regardless of what you did, the burnrate has a single definite value for each test firing, and you don't need to do any normalizing to find out what that value is. For a given propellant formulation, that burnrate can vary depending on chamber pressure, but for a given motor design, there is a single, definite value for the burn rate of the propellant.

thats funny, it was a key arguement in the ATF lawsuit.... your statement, is directly oposite of what we said.... the ATF was using a radial burn rate, and we said, you need to measure it as a linear burn rate to "be accurate".

My motors i make dont particularly go "BOOM"... so I figure my rates are faily close to have "normal motors"

As I recall, the problem with the ATF burn rate measurement wasn't a matter of linear vs radial - they were using the length of the motor as the web thickness on a coreburning motor. As a result, their burn rates were an order of magnitude (or so) too high. Both radial and linear burn rate measurements are perfectly fine (and should come out approximately equivalent), so long as they are conducted correctly.

Well, two possibilities come to mind. You could have choked down the nozzle a bit, increasing chamber pressure (which would increase the burn rate, increase thrust, decrease the burntime). Or, you could have changed the geometry to increase the burn surface area (for example larger cores or a star grain), possibly with a corresponding increase in nozzle throat area, keeping the burnrate constant but decreasing the web thickness. Between the two options, I would guess that you probably did the first, since it is substantially easier and you probably weren't running anywhere close to the limit of your motor case (so the increased chamber pressure wasn't a problem).

I would point out that regardless of what you did, the burnrate has a single definite value for each test firing, and you don't need to do any normalizing to find out what that value is. For a given propellant formulation, that burnrate can vary depending on chamber pressure, but for a given motor design, there is a single, definite value for the burn rate of the propellant.

No... exact geometry... same formula... same everything.... its a secret....

that burnrate can vary depending on chamber pressure
not ... it DOES....

what is the differents between, AP, AN, PN, And PP...

tell me why we dont use PP! and i will go back to the penut gallery and conciede I dont have a clue...

Last edited:
again, i do remember, and because burn rates vary depending on motor configuration, we stated to be accurate they must use a strand burner....
NOT the motor.

*remember, the basis is classification as a composite* how you base the classification, is much more important than the practicality of the basis...

Last edited:

There is another factor at play you're overlooking which affects burn rate: propellant temperature conditioning. Assuming Clay's example is of two seperate but otherwise identical motors it is likely that the pre ignition temperature of these motors is different and as such has affected the burn rate. The heat input required to continue combustion changes based on the start temperature of the propellant and can substantially change the burn rate.

I would argue with yout assertion that for a given motor design there is a single definite value for the burn rate of the propellant. In a perfect world...perhaps...but it depends on a whole lot of variables that are hard to control.

No... exact geometry... same formula... same everything.... its a secret....

Same everything? Including nozzle throat diameter? In that case, I would guess that the two were significantly different temperatures before firing. This does have a minor effect on burnrate, though it's typically not as significant as changes in pressure.

As for the difference between AP, AN, PN, and PP? AP and AN both work quite well - ANCP has some problems mostly with obtaining the AN though, since large amounts of AN can also be used for making bombs (ANFO). In addition, I believe the delivered Isp is a bit lower than with AP, and finally, AN is quite hygroscopic, making the propellant somewhat problematic to store. PN and PP (assuming you mean potassium nitrate and potassium perchlorate, usually abbreviated KN and KP) aren't wonderful oxidizers because they have relatively high molecular mass exhaust products, which results in poor Isp. Ammonium perchlorate really is the best all around choice for what we do - it can be used after long periods of storage, since it is not hygroscopic (unlike AN), and it gives a good Isp due to the relatively high oxygen fraction and low molecular weight of the exhaust products. In addition, it is relatively stable against shocks (although it can detonate in rare circumstances), and it is relatively easily obtained (and not extremely expensive). Basically, it's a great all around oxidizer.

There is another factor at play you're overlooking which affects burn rate: propellant temperature conditioning. Assuming Clay's example is of two seperate but otherwise identical motors it is likely that the pre ignition temperature of these motors is different and as such has affected the burn rate. The heat input required to continue combustion changes based on the start temperature of the propellant and can substantially change the burn rate.

I would argue with yout assertion that for a given motor design there is a single definite value for the burn rate of the propellant. In a perfect world...perhaps...but it depends on a whole lot of variables that are hard to control.

You managed to post this while I was responding to Clay - I agree that if they are identical, the preburn temperature is the most likely candidate for the difference. Also, I absolutely agree that I'm oversimplifying a bit - what I'm mainly trying to describe is that the burn rate is somewhat independent of the motor burn time (and the I49 vs I1299 example attempts to show that). In reality, any given motor will have a slightly variable burn rate depending on everything from the specifics of that propellant batch to the preburn temperature of the motor, but it should not vary by a whole lot for a given configuration.

K getting way off course, I just want to know what was considered to be slow burn rate and if there was a value that the FAA rule uses to judge a class 1 rocket by. From what I have gatherd from here, and further reading on the subject is it just can be instant, like shot from a gun. An explosive charge to propel the rocket.

TA

One that doesn't generate a supersonic shock wave as it is consumed. Every motor that is certified by NAR, TRA or CAR falls within the parameters of this regulation.

One that doesn't generate a supersonic shock wave as it is consumed. Every motor that is certified by NAR, TRA or CAR falls within the parameters of this regulation.

nope....

supersonic, combustion. Not consumed.... all our rockets make super sonic shock waves as far as the motor is concerned.... not as the propellant is concerned...

K getting way off course, I just want to know what was considered to be slow burn rate and if there was a value that the FAA rule uses to judge a class 1 rocket by. From what I have gatherd from here, and further reading on the subject is it just can be instant, like shot from a gun. An explosive charge to propel the rocket.

TA

well in your post, you need a compostition that can meet the atf method of testing, and not detonate at a rate considered to be an explosive. IMO humble opinion. Whilst the FAA does not have a propellant method of testing i am aware of And certainly not within FAR 101. part 14.
here is my final comment on "burn rates"
Burn Rate: R=(a*P^n) ; why it is not important, and why it is important. Why we legally appreciate it, and why we implement it in our models. More importantly, what you should not expect of “burn rates”.

The following is written completely as I see it. So with some forbearance, let it be known I am not educated in this, I am not an expert, and certainly not all knowing. Haven’t even read a book. The following I have taken completely from others, and are as I have come to understand them, and tie the ends together for my own intents and purposes.

Secondly, I have recently stumbled over myself, and stumbled onto myself in the due to an innate inability to effectively convey thought to expressed language; written and verbal. While it may appear here, please note I am merely sharing a record intended for my ends.(to try to convey my own thoughts to myself accurately) Enjoy the entertainment value.

Back to the important stuff! For me the most relevant history for burn rates exists in the legal battle between the BATFE, and hobby rocketry enthusiasts. The methods of defining any character(istic) must always be well defined. Tests, are how we ensure methods are true and correct. This is both true in engineering, and in legal doctrines. Thus, the Method, the test, must be held true, for reason to dictate that the results or affects are true and accurate. In this legal battle, there were no methods or tests. Just an enforcement and inclusion that was reasoned without methods or testing. Irrelevant to the why, essentially the premise of argument by the government was to appear to have reason. Go figure, it failed. What we as a hobby said was “you’re doing it wrong”. With the science behind this “material” the proper method is this, and the results are this so our reason stands true; yours doesn’t. What we said was: Burn rates in Ammonium Per chlorate Composite Propellant must be measured in a strand burner on a linear measurement with a constant surface area, and constant pressure. And by this test, the method is always true. So, the results dictate the material does not meet the government standard definition of an explosive. There are many other issues present, but here is the small part burn rate played in a much bigger legal issue.

That’s certainly not why burn rate is important for me, so here is why burn rate is important for me.
• Burn rate is used to simulate, or measure the rate at which a propellant combusts and decomposes into a gas from a solid, producing gas to build pressure and create thrust. (I don’t make liquid or hybrids – APCP only)
In making motors burn rate is essential to making them successful, not producing to little thrust, or causing so much gas they rupture the pressure vessel. More to it, but maybe future writing…

So irrelevant to everything else, my goal is to describe methods and tests to determine burn rates. Well, the hobby says a bomb strand burner is the “accurate” method. As in the equation R=(A*p^n) a bomb strand burner isolates the burning surface area, a is a constant rate, and P in a strand burner is also constant at a designated pressure; sea level ,300, 750 or 1200 psi. (Note: fictional numbers that give relevance). With the first test maintaining standardized atmospheric pressure gives you the value for A. The next test(s) with increased pressure, allows you to measure directly N since you can back calculate (A*P^n). So, a bomb strand burner gives precise and repeatable values for A and N to come up with R = burn rate which is used in modeling a solid rocket motor performance and or design. Depending on if it’s being built or used.

Here’s the fun thing… Who has a bomb strand burner? 15.00 for an internet PhD, might get you called Dr., but not a strand burner.

So, the hobby has taken on a practical – practice. This is not a method, because it will fail tests. It’s practically useful, or has practicality.

Basically, the method is to make a “neutral bates geometry”, and measure the burn rate by the thrust curve of the motor on a load cell, compared to modeled surface area calculations. I agree there is merit to the method, but the truth is more of a fib. While you can characterize a propellant burn rate with decent A and N values through this method, they are not true and correct values. So the method is not true and correct. I have to admit, calculating is not a strong point and having a little idea, but not an expert on the Surface area modeling.(So you can say I like to half ass it. Practically anyway)

Here’s why I believe it’s a fib:
First point is the analytical logical side. Strand burners are supposed to measure burn rates of materials, and were duty purposed as such. Rocket motors are duty purposed to generate thrust and impart motions. I would think the logic says each is probably capable of the others objective, but not quite recommended. Based on safety…..analyzing it says, inherently false results will be yielded in each case.

This isn’t an all inclusive list, but let us look at why APCP rocket motors may be bad when used to calculate burning rates of propellant. (not the rate of the motor).

Burn rate is affected by , thermodynamics, pressure, composition, and partical velocity. (may not be true, butt…. Remember this is my account and reason, for what I see as reality here.)
• Thermodynamics: why is it a part of burn rate?

It is a part of burn rate, in that the decomposition of the fuel, binder and oxidizer are all sensitive to temperature. Auto ignition tells you how much energy it takes in calories to go from ambient to combustion. If ambient is high, it takes little energy, if ambient is low, it takes more. Thermodynamics inside a burning motor, in my most humble opinion is a model at best, and an unknown in a test. But here’s how it plays into the “propellant burn rate” when inside a motor. Imagine a surface burning and thermal energy is conducted through the surface into the underlying material probably similar to sleeping under a heating blanket versus on top of it. The energy imparted into the fuel, makes it burn faster, because it takes less combustion energy to decompose, increasing the burning temperature, that again, increases the burn rate! Thus, it is safe to say, that thermodynamic gradients cause varying burn rates across the burning surface inside a running rocket motor. Envision a bates grain, where the end and the core are burning; the corner of the grain, particularly the top corner is going to burn very fast, and re-shape itself to another shape, as it un-uniformly burns… probably a radius due to acceleration of the gas… but would be concave(ish) if uniform radiant heat soak was modeled. (I have read thesis statements that discuss this property specifically… I need to read them again.) You can see where the radiant heat soak of the burning surface would be more uniform in a strand burner than a motor. Propellants that conduct the heat easy are probably harder to model than propellants that are better at insulating heat soak in a Burn rate vs. surface area simulation. There are some others, and some overlap, so let’s move on….

• Pressure: how does it affect burn rate?

As explained earlier, pressure alone causes increased burn rates. It’s a variable in the formula after all. This is because pressure, reduces the calorie requirement to decompose, or change state of a molecule. Pressure also changes thermal conductivity (as above) and density of the environment creating its own calorie exchange. (has the lack of physics/chemistry collegic/highschool education reared its nasty head yet)
(note: propellant compositions, have varying pressure sensitivity, so you can say, a low sensitivity propellant is okay to test in a motor, a highly pressure sensitive composition like fine micron AP, should be tested where the pressure is controllable- aka, strand burner.)
Pressure, in an unstable motor, is the BEST example that comes to mind. In your mind, envision two surfaces held together, with burning surfaces, .125” apart. (Obviously tho, it grows per the experienced burn rate… )The pressure between these burning surfaces would be greater than the ambient pressure, compared to the “core” with surfaces, held at .25”, .5”, or 2.25” respectfully… In an unstable motor, the ends may burn stable because of the [more stabler] pressure, while the core searches for a happy zone of pressure and burning surface. Mass flux may have a role to play here? I understand the pressure also acts uniformly, but I refuse to discount the pressure gradient, caused by surfaces in varying distances of contact, causing variances in actual burn rates. It’s safe to say due to ambient and proximity created pressure gradients, there are some portions of the motor that have higher burn rates than others.

Ignition of a rocket motor, does it cause random, unpredictable pressure gradients as it pressurizes the motor, and transmits un-uniform heat into the propellant? Maybe the method is not random and unpredictable for reliable motor ignition, but certainly so when lighting a motor for “characterizing the propellant.” Its often important with –correctly starting a motor. Again, not all inclusive or maybe eve correct, but what I think about when I say, 13 grain, not 10.

• Composition: why does it play into burn rates?

To clarify, I believe this was explained in the previous two items. As the composition is what we are after all trying to characterize. But I listed it as a factor because I found it relevant to my thinking. Much like multimodal propellant can be used to both increase, or decrease, and give stability to the burn. The composition directly plays, into the calorie requirements, combustibility, pressure and temperature sensitivity and more.

Structural composition, however, is not the same for a rocket motor, designed to take the loads of pressurization and or use into account as it is not an issue in a strand burner. Where a working rocket motor, may tear its propellant apart, and fail itself, a strand burner would be able to successfully measure a burn rate. Tight rigid structures burn slower than loosey goosey structures….

• Partical velocity: how it increases burn rates?

Well, back to the thesis, and some other documents, where “models for erosive burning” are concerned, state that: with increased particle acceleration across any burning surfaces reduces the distance of the flame front to the surface area, and increases both structural separation of the surface and the conductance of the thermal energy into the surface, rather than away from the surface as something that has an open flame front would do. Thus, the core does not have uniform burn rate, in long motors where there are fast moving particles (transonic) near the end of the core. VS. a short fat beer can motor where the particles on the end of the grain are faster than the core flow.(none of which are transonic till the nozzle.)

Since a rocket motor, uses a model for burning surface area, particle erosion, and un-uniform thermal gradients would cause your model to not be “correct” in evaluating the actual surface area constant. This tells me, the increased burn rate, would not necessarily be considered: erosive burning: in a manner of erosion, but is erosive burning, in that it increases the rate where it occurs, and would not be everywhere uniformly. Strand burning does not have this problem.

Particle velocity, also will crate pressure gradients, and shockwaves that cause variances in burn rates of actual rocket motors based on the flow of the particles and their attained velocity in general.

In conclusion, I have come to find that I have enjoyed my coke and rum, thinking of what issues affect A, and what affects N. Whilst thinking about profound things… like suing the gooberment and winning. And most of all... in a rocket motor you may experience every where between .022 and .035 A value in the burn rate, and .25 to .4 N value, (at the same &&&&& time)- to quote 2chains...
where your using an A of .03, and an N .25 based on the "MOTOR"

TRA “winning”

I understand I may mis-construe things, I may mis- speak, some things I just don’t understand or am not aware of…
But please, understand it’s of love for the awesome hobby, not of malice to whom I consider friends “who know better…”

But do remember, when discussing burn rates. It has to do with the propellant and its classification as a propellant and proving it’s not an explosive…and to call it an explosive would be capricious application without method or reason.

. Not with a classifying a rocket motor.
But, in my case, making it work the way I want it to……

Clay

Last edited:
nope....

supersonic, combustion. Not consumed.... all our rockets make super sonic shock waves as far as the motor is concerned.... not as the propellant is concerned...
Yes, all rocket motors have a jet that escapes from the end of the motor at supersonic speed. It's not the propellant that creates the jet, though, but the convergent/divergent De Laval nozzle that accelerates the escaping gas to supersonic speed. APCP and black powder themselves do not create supersonic shock waves when they are burned; IOW, they don't detonate.

Yes, all rocket motors have a jet that escapes from the end of the motor at supersonic speed. It's not the propellant that creates the jet, though, but the convergent/divergent De Laval nozzle that accelerates the escaping gas to supersonic speed. APCP and black powder themselves do not create supersonic shock waves when they are burned; IOW, they don't detonate.

YES, they do... how does a nozzleless APCP motor break mach!>??

the particals in combustion reach mach prior to reaching the nozzle, at the point where the gas is considered to have "choked flow" this normally occurs before the nozzle, and after the last grain!
But, can occur before the end of the core, as in some nozzless designs.

The combustion rate... or burn rate , is what we define as explosive, or deflagration.

the FAA rules. however, dont directly state what "slow burning is" as T points out, most bullets deflagerate, not detonate...

Take it easy!

Last edited:
I see. So if you were to take the grain from, say, a G333 reload, set it down on your driveway and ignite it, the grain would behave like a stick of dynamite and disappear in an instant with a flash and a very loud boom? And so therefore this certified reload is not permitted under the FAR that was quoted at the beginning of this thread? Is that what you are saying here?

Yes! The answer to the final part of my question, thanks.

TA
Yeah, if any of the commercial motors used by our hobby weren't in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations then they wouldn't earn certification. "Certification" is exactly that -- it is documented confirmation, by an independent testing entity, that the motor or reload, when used as specified by the manufacturer, is reliable, is safe (in terms of the organization's Safety Code), and complies with all applicable laws and regulations (is "legal").

Yes! The answer to the final part of my question, thanks.

TA

I want to see a letter from the FAA as such. Last i checked we certified motors based solely on NFPA codes in 1125, no where does the associations say or motors comply with Far 101!

IMO faa, has never saught to establish a precedent.

the particals in combustion reach mach prior to reaching the nozzle, at the point where the gas is considered to have "choked flow" this normally occurs before the nozzle, and after the last grain!
But, can occur before the end of the core, as in some nozzless designs.

The combustion rate... or burn rate , is what we define as explosive, or deflagration.

Actually, the flow usually chokes at the nozzle throat, in the middle of the nozzle - having the flow reach mach 1 prior to the nozzle is rare, and usually undesirable. Flow down the core is typically subsonic. In addition, this is talking about the speed of the exhaust gas, which is separate from the burn rate of the propellant itself. The exhaust gas can be traveling hundreds (or thousands) of meters per second, while the burn rate of the propellant is in millimeters per second.

I see. So if you were to take the grain from, say, a G333 reload, set it down on your driveway and ignite it, the grain would behave like a stick of dynamite and disappear in an instant with a flash and a very loud boom? And so therefore this certified reload is not permitted under the FAR that was quoted at the beginning of this thread? Is that what you are saying here?

no it combusts, it does not detonate...
consuming it, could be either.... which is what you said.
Still partical acceleration from combustion, may cause sonic shock waves,, this is not saying it causes detonation...

Last edited:
Actually, the flow usually chokes at the nozzle throat, in the middle of the nozzle - having the flow reach mach 1 prior to the nozzle is rare, and usually undesirable. Flow down the core is typically subsonic. In addition, this is talking about the speed of the exhaust gas, which is separate from the burn rate of the propellant itself. The exhaust gas can be traveling hundreds (or thousands) of meters per second, while the burn rate of the propellant is in millimeters per second.

yes, it sure does, even if the nozzle is a propellant grain! :) Hence nozzles rockets .. .where I got my information from regarding "ideal choked flow" is directly from Rogers aeroscience website... he has a great set of technical pubs, that disagrees with that comment.

Yeah, if any of the commercial motors used by our hobby weren't in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations then they wouldn't earn certification. "Certification" is exactly that -- it is documented confirmation, by an independent testing entity, that the motor or reload, when used as specified by the manufacturer, is reliable, is safe (in terms of the organization's Safety Code), and complies with all applicable laws and regulations (is "legal").

I think i read something else when i read my code... "the flyer must comply with all local and federal regulations."
since TRA is international, some of the certificaitons dont meet flyers legal responsibility... hence hybrids in some areas rather than apcp......

what your saying is inaccurate. However, i would believe TMT or nar S&T if they said they have confirmation they comply with us code regulation.....(in edit, i know for a fact they elect to ignore state level law. - osfm rules particularly... a certified reload is legal in illinois, and illegal in california)

Last edited:
I want to see a letter from the FAA as such. Last I checked we certified motors based solely on NFPA codes in 1125, no where does the associations say or motors comply with Far 101!

IMO faa, has never sought to establish a precedent.

That is why I asked. I never assume government works together or makes any sense. That it was the FAA’s way of requiring a waver based on the how fast propellant burns, and leaving it so vague that they could make anything up on a whim. It just seemed to me odd that they didn't define it. As long the rocket falls under the under 14 CFR 101.22(a): its class 1, and doesn't need a waver. And yet one of the requirements didn't have a value, so I wanted to know under whose interpretation do we use to define slow burning. It’s apparent that no explosive means to propel rockets is what they are after. I’m satisfied with that.

TA

I thought it meant something that didn't burn instantaneously such as an "explosive" device. Even what we consider a "fast" APCP propellant such as Vmax or Warp-9 burns slower than some pyrotechnic materials. I guess for Estes motors the way the BP is processed allows it to burn much slower than say, BP you would load in a gun. I'm not certain of the exact definition, maybe someone else does.

BP rocket fuel is solid. And powdered BP (etc.) is a better explosive than APCP, so big deal there.

Last edited:
After reading through this thread, I've got one (1) question:--

"African or European?"

Later!

--Coop

no it combusts, it does not detonate...
consuming it, could be either.... which is what you said.
Still partical acceleration from combustion, may cause sonic shock waves,, this is not saying it causes detonation...

Please, for the sake of people trying to learn, if you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, or what anyone else is talking about, don't talk.

Burn rate is really not a complicated concept. That someone is completely unable to understand this simple concept and is making motors is kind of terrifying.

Metal tubes filled with supersonic-burning fuel aren't called rocket motors, they're called pipebombs. Most hobby propellants, or commercial propellants for that matter, burn at rates of at or under 1 inch/second. The speed of sound at sea level, for those following along, is 13,397 inches per second. The dividing line for detonation is compositions that burn faster than this. For example, the pentaerythritol tetranitrate used in detcord burns at around 295,270 inches per second.

Blustering about exhaust flow rates, which are completely and utterly irrelevant to propellant burn rate, has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Please, for the sake of people trying to learn, if you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, or what anyone else is talking about, don't talk.

Burn rate is really not a complicated concept. That someone is completely unable to understand this simple concept and is making motors is kind of terrifying.

Metal tubes filled with supersonic-burning fuel aren't called rocket motors, they're called pipebombs. Most hobby propellants, or commercial propellants for that matter, burn at rates of at or under 1 inch/second. The speed of sound at sea level, for those following along, is 13,397 inches per second. The dividing line for detonation is compositions that burn faster than this. For example, the pentaerythritol tetranitrate used in detcord burns at around 295,270 inches per second.

Blustering about exhaust flow rates, which are completely and utterly irrelevant to propellant burn rate, has nothing to do with it.

would you like a cookie?

Back