Decisions, decisions.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add to the complexity of picking by giving you even more options :), here's a few of my favorite (motor deploy) rockets that can fly on both 29mm and 38mm (except the MDRM) for some versatility. These are all fairly low and slow (less than one mile, mostly less than 3000')

-The Estes Mega Red Max is a great 29mm flyer because it's super light for a bit 4" rocket. I've flown F50s through H133s in my pretty much stock build (different shock cord/eyebolt and bigger parachute) and it just flies great. Your 29mm 3G case would be great and allow for tons of motor options that would fly just fine, but it's not much of a performance build and stays fairly low, even on H's. One small catch is that the huge fins seem to make drogueless descent with a CR very slow-TRF'er Kevinkal got around 30 fps before chute release if I recall, so while the CR will reduce drift, it won't reduce drift much.

-If you can get one shipped from Bay Area Rocketry (there are other vendors too I think), the 4" Crayon kit is great:https://bayarearocketry.com/Crayon-Rocket-Kit-38mm-MMT-10030.htm
This is a fairly light 4" rocket that has a very tough plywood fin assembly and flies well on pretty much anything from a high thrust F (may need electronics for deployment) to a small J (if you get the 38mm version, you can adapt down to 29). I've flown an F50 with electronics up to an I236 but have seen them fly small J's with no problem, and it works great with the CR, especially with a small drogue.

-The LOC Mini Magg is also a very fun flier. I did JR Level 1 on mine with a small H, and it can fly G-J with no problems. I originally flew without nose weight and an adapter on 29mm, and if you stick to your 29mm 3G case there are plenty of high thrust G and small H motors that will loft it to around 900'. I added a 9 oz bolt to mine for nose weight after a wobbly flight on a 29mm I and since then have flown 29mm 6 grain H's through 38mm 5G Is, including the awesome I540 and I216 loads that hit around 3000'. I've never flown a CR in mine but it should work well- a drogue might help but probably isn't critical. If you don't care about altitude and want a good 29mm and 38mm flyer, this is my absolute favorite recommendation.

-One final suggestion might be the Rocketry Warehouse (Madcow) Formula 75. It's basically a larger version of the Punisher Sport you have, swapping the 2.2" airframe for 3" and swapping 29mm to 38mm. It's very strong, flies great, and works great with the CR (probably best with a drogue though because it's heavy). I lost mine to a bad ejection charge on an I212 and eventually bought a new one from a member here, and it's a very good go-to rocket that can handle high winds and other difficult flying conditions. I never flew my original on 29mm and haven't flown my new one on 29mm, but it should be able to fly on powerful 29s- it is heavy though at 4 lbs so 29mm options are probably a bit limiting and I don't think a 3G case will get very much altitude (H163 sims to 850').

There are tons of great kits out there- these are just a few of my favorites...

Do what gives you the most enjoyment.
Hear, hear!

I think I'm going to try to design a kit for you, based on your statement that you think you are not ready for a TLP Kit.
I'll put together a combination of top quality components, and even a set of instructions, then send you the whole mess to figure out.
You don't even have to build it if you get it and don't like it, but if you do enjoy it, that will be great too.

Dude, that would be awesome. Thank you!! I'll get in touch over PM.

I never even flew my first TLP kit. I ended up disecting it to admire everything I'd done wrong in great and minute detail.:)
I'm actually going to be making my first mold from this section, since everything is at least nice and straight. I modified the TLP rear fins because I accidentally cut slots that were too long.
I did not even know about composites at the time, but now I have a hard time looking at stuff that does not have layers of glass and CF.

One of the biggest challenges I have with a new challenging build project is - when things get difficult - trying to figure out:
-Am I just unskilled and need to take a breath and go more slowly?
-Am I doing it wrong and if I had it in the right way, it would work?
-Are the directions bad and I am going down an utterly wrong path?

Thinking about these things is a great way to end up with an X-Acto jammed in a body tube. Or a finger. Usually there's cursing. Sometimes there's blood.

One of the biggest challenges I have with a new challenging build project is - when things get difficult - trying to figure out:
-Am I just unskilled and need to take a breath and go more slowly?
-Am I doing it wrong and if I had it in the right way, it would work?
-Are the directions bad and I am going down an utterly wrong path?

Thinking about these things is a great way to end up with an X-Acto jammed in a body tube. Or a finger. Usually there's cursing. Sometimes there's blood.

Isn't that supposed to be the fun part?
I get where your coming from, and realize that you have real life to deal with, so I'll do everything I can to make the kit enjoyable and definitely not a P.I.T.A. to put together and fly.
:)

Back