DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter had her 2nd birthday yesterday so I was unable to attend the meeting. Any highlights?

Has anyone else had problems posting to the DARS Yahoo Group? The last three times I've tried it gets rejected. Never had problems before.

How many of you are using nylon shear pins to secure the nose cone and/or e-bay for dual or single deploy? How about just using tape to friction fit the components?

I used 2 nylon screws for the main and friction for the drouge with the Torrent. The Frenzy has a heavier nosecone, so I will use 3 nylon screws for it.

David

Anyone going to the DARS Frisco low power launch/contest on Saturday?

Wind forecast for midday is around 10 for now.

I do have lots of new low power and RC stuff to launch.

Anyone going to the DARS Frisco low power launch/contest on Saturday?

Wind forecast for midday is around 10 for now.

I do have lots of new low power and RC stuff to launch.

Yes. Maybe another A4 shakedown flight ? :)

How many of you are using nylon shear pins to secure the nose cone and/or e-bay for dual or single deploy? How about just using tape to friction fit the components?

3 shear pins. I'm afraid to friction fit or tape because of the variability inherent in such a method. I am sure it works fine, but shear pins appear to me to be the most reproducible way to do it.

Less variables = more good

Thanks David and Chris. Couple of follow up questions for you and others:

1. What size nylon screws and where did you find them?

2. How many are using a charge well mounted on the ebay bulk heads versus using an ejection charge lead wired into a terminal block (or directly into the altimeter) with the ejection charge laying 'loose' in the airframe/payload section?

3. How much BP are you guys using for ~4" airframes? I may have just answered this question: https://archive.rocketreviews.com/tool_black_powder.shtml

Robert,

1. I use 2-56 X 1/4" long Round Slotted Machine Screws from Apogee Rocketry in a 20 pack. They will sell you the tap and drill, too.
2. I use Pratt Hobbies SEC-5 charge canisters filled up with BP. The torrent has a pretty short 4" bay for the main, so the 1.15G of BP has been enough. The Frenzy is much larger and will require some testing with the larger canisters. However, I also have the Frenzy outfitted with the small Blastcaps. I find that the charges need to be restrained somehow. If allowed to float, they will often go off right next to the BT and the knock the paint and primer off the outside of the BT. No holes are blown, it just makes the paint look bad. This wouldn't be a problem for fiberglass. I attached 1/4 inch dowels to the ebay bulkhead and tape the canisters to the dowels.
3. I like this calculator better since it includes the calculation for the shear pins making things nice and easy.

David

1. 2-56 nylon from a random amazon vendor. Bought 100 black and 100 white for ~$4 awile back. Rail-buttons.com sells them for a good price, and since I get my buttons and case covers there I will probably just order from there in the future.

2. I make charge wells from pvc plugs. I just grind them smooth on sides and bottom, then drill hole through for attache,ent to bulkhead, and a small hole out the side for an ematch that wires into a terminal block. This is outlined with pictures in post 14 of my Arapahoe-J build thread.

3. I use Vern Knowles' site to estimate charges, and then test from there. On the Arapahoe-J (4" diameter) thread (post 79) I arrived at 1.1 g of FFFg for a 10" compartment, and 2.0g from a 17" compartment. This could vary with your recovery volume though. The 17" bay had a drogue and a lot of empty space, the 10" bay was crammed with a 54-ish" main. I am also not one who gently separates sections, so my charges tend to be on the frisky end.

Thanks guys for the tips. I've done this before, but it was 20+ years ago. Damn I'm getting old!

samb, do you know the event schedule for the contest this weekend? My flying buddy wanted to see PMC fly and was wondering what day that is most likely to happen.

samb, do you know the event schedule for the contest this weekend? My flying buddy wanted to see PMC fly and was wondering what day that is most likely to happen.

Typically, Jack does static judging on Saturday and flights on Sunday. The other events just kinda happen when they happen. :eek:

Right this second, G or lower. The field south of the big barn is off limits so conditions will dictate usage.

Wait...is the contest really at Gunter and not Frisco?

If the contest is not in the old HP field south of the barn, where at Gunter is it?

Wait...is the contest really at Gunter and not Frisco?

If the contest is not in the old HP field south of the barn, where at Gunter is it?

Gunter.

gunter2.jpg

In the past, almost every duration flight, and every winner that I can remember, has landed north of Panther Creek. That field is now a construction zone so the discussion was Gunter or take out B Rocket Glide and E Eggloft Duration.

Last edited:
Gunter.

View attachment 265140

In the past, almost every duration flight, and every winner that I can remember, has landed north of Panther Creek. That field is now a construction zone so the discussion was Gunter or take out B Rocket Glide and E Eggloft Duration.

Aha. good thing I saw that post...even thought the DARS website said Gunter, I would have driven to Frisco. Did not know that Gunter was still available for low and mid power for the event.

The contest director has postponed DARSTAR XI until June 20th. That implies a Frisco launch site. :shock: So I must have been dreaming when I said "we" decided that that field was too small for duration events. :blush:

The Dars web site front page says Frisco on June 13/14..:)

The Dars calendar still says Gunter on June 13/14....:)

I need to check my email, looks like... Or the yahoo group, or something.

The Dars web site front page says Frisco on June 13/14..:)

The Dars calendar still says Gunter on June 13/14....:)

I need to check my email, looks like... Or the yahoo group, or something.

Ha ha ! Khaos and Konfusion ! I got the DARS Yahoo group emails around noon.

Hey Chris. Where did you find those compact green terminal blocks at?

Hey Chris. Where did you find those compact green terminal blocks at?

I had been buying them from Radioshack's ebay page, but not available there anymore.

They are available from several other places including the maker directly here.

They are also available as strips of 4, 6 and I believe 8. I have been very happy with them in several builds.

Robert, I think you can get them at Tanners's electronics in Carrolton, just east of 35 on Valley view I believe. Cool place if you've never been.

Thanks Chris.

Hey Jack. Yeah, I was thinking about a trip over to Tanners. If other readers haven't been, you should definitely go. I would say it's like a Radio Shack of the good ole days when they actually had parts instead of cell phones and toys. Even at that, it would probably qualify as a Radio Shack of yesteryear on steroids.

Awww balls. Looks like DARS sport AND HP is scrubbed again due to unfavorable conditions according at the sites. :/ ... pushed from this weekend to June 20th. AAARRRGGHH. :(

Had Mini-Mestler proportionately weighted (as close as reasonably possible) and ready to fly with as much power as one can get in an 18 mm casing: Aerotech 18mm D21-7T (D in a C sized casing):

View attachment 265444View attachment 265445

Maybe next weekend!

There seems to be a lot of altimeter manufacturers to choose from. For basic dual deploy, max altitude reporting, etc., what are you guys using? Is there an F-150 of altimeters out there?

I'm a big proponent of investing in a chip that will do everything you want so you won't need to buy other chips to do other things. The Telemetrum does pretty much everything you'll ever need except for motor staging. The downside is you have to get a HAM license... Also the EggTimer TRS seems to do the same things as the Telemetrum if you're okay with assembling it and having it in a slightly larger package.

There seems to be a lot of altimeter manufacturers to choose from. For basic dual deploy, max altitude reporting, etc., what are you guys using? Is there an F-150 of altimeters out there?

I use the Missileworks RRC3 for everything. I have an RRC2+ which I plan to use for a 38mm MD project also.

I really, really like the RRC3, and the corespondent 3D printed sleds.

Back