Daffynition: What really makes something an Odd-Roc?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably lots of ice, too. :p

Mark K.

I am from the Bay Area, I do not think I will ever have enough ice there..... so dry.... But to see all of those stars at night, that was worth the dehydration.

I am from the Bay Area, I do not think I will ever have enough ice there..... so dry.... But to see all of those stars at night, that was worth the dehydration.
I never thought that dessication could be so much fun! :roll:

Mark K.

I never thought that dessication could be so much fun! :roll:

Mark K.

When my boyfriend told me he was taking me there, I told him he was nuts. I burn really easily, an very sensitive to light, and get heat sickness very easily. ^_^ I'm glad I went, though. The stars were worth it, I had never seen so many, even in all of my camping and hiking. And the launch was totally awesome. ^_^

When my boyfriend told me he was taking me there, I told him he was nuts. I burn really easily, an very sensitive to light, and get heat sickness very easily. ^_^ I'm glad I went, though. The stars were worth it, I had never seen so many, even in all of my camping and hiking. And the launch was totally awesome. ^_^
OK, that's it. I've heard enough. Now I definitely have to go there. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but some year soon, I'll be there. I can't stay away. :D

Mark K.

OK, that's it. I've heard enough. Now I definitely have to go there. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but some year soon, I'll be there. I can't stay away. :D

Mark K.

Let me know when you do. We will cheer for your rockets!

OK! I've been accused of being an Odd-Roc junkie. and Yes I do enjoy building and flying FUNNY things, but what really makes a model qualify as an Odd-Roc?

Is it the overall look?
Is the the materials and construction?
It is the way it flys...or attempts to fly?
or is it just in the eye of the beholder in that, this "Model" is something that wasn't intended to fly??
I think it's in the eye of the beholder, but you can figure most beholders' eyes would agree on a few things. When people say "That's a rocket?!" or "You don't really fly that thing, do you?" or just laugh for any reason, such as those above, it's an oddroc.
Here are a couple simple examples of what "I" think of was Odd-Rocs. I'll be very interested to see and hear what the rocket flying community thinks.
I don't know if saucers are too common these days to get the reactions, but I love that all wods saucer with the spiral fins. I want one.

my view of what an odd roc is, is a "rocket" that i look at and think -that's a bit odd.
so everything in the pictures above are odd in my opinion, although there are rockets like saucers where i am starting the think that they are almost not an odd roc because thet are getting more common.

or instead of the rocket being odd, the person launching it could be a couple sandwiches short of a picnic:roll:

I have a friend in Michigan who built a bunch of "Fiddle Faddles" from my original design. I can't remember which competition or maybe a cert level she was trying to enter one of them in as most are HP jobs, but they told her she couldn't use it because it was an odd rock. Neither of us would have thought this was an odd rock design but apparently because of the box fins at the bottom, it is. You judge for yourself. Pardon the beer can. It's only there as a size reference.

rocket FF.jpg

I guess after reading this thread :)D) I have now determined that my smallest rocket "Tripod".....
P1020337.jpg

....is just classified as "different", not "Odd"?

Fiddle Faddle doesn't look that odd to me. I want a LPR version, or even just the plans.

Mark's comment about lots of ice got my twisted mind thinking about clear casting resin and icicles, just the ticket for a winter launch, and maybe the one rocket that clear pecan fins would not look silly and out of place on.

Luckily for RSOs and all other space cadets I know my own limits of rocket design well enough not to try to cook one up until I have quite a bit more experience. White, silver and ice blue paint scheme however, that I can do...

I created this little bugger almost 40 years ago and won a design contest with it back in 85 I think. This is a BT 50 version which I find to be a more reliable size. If anyone that decides to build this, don't hesitate to ask questions. I will stress this one thing. Be extremely patient when mounting the long leader fins as just a slight tweak can make a great lot of difference for the box fin section. This is why I recommend cutting those to fit. Dave, you will provide us with a build thread?:D

View attachment Fiddle Faddle Instructions.pdf

Last edited:
I can't open the PDF. Acrobat 9 Standard (i.e. not Reader) says it's damaged and could not be repaired. Retried the download with the same result.

I love the design, so I'd really like to get the plans.

Last edited:
Just email me at [email protected] and put Fiddle Faddle in the subject line. I'll send it to you. If it's crashing your Adobe then you need an updated reader. I made the file with Acrobat Pro 6.0. All of my clients have no problem opening my files so it must be your reader.

If either of you do decide to build Gary's Fiddle Faddle, make sure you use a dense balsa for those long "leader" fins. I can tell you from experience that replacing one of those is a real pill.

Would this be regarded as an odd-roc? :wink:

carlisle-patent.JPG

Nope! the original designed Model-Rocket and Rack Rockets are not, nor is the Fiddle faddle. To say the Boxed fins makes it odd doesn't cut the mustard. There have been MANY REAL sounding rockets with boxed fins. GDJs Tripod handle is really on the cusp as well...make those fins disappear (out of clear material) it would be another story. If it looks like a rocket, the it is very difficult to call it an ODD-ROC.
Personally I don't like to include "Most" sausers as odd-rocs because Aeroshells have been flown in full size Rockety forever but even thats to general as the Hershey Kiss or HPR HUG as it were well qualify, while just about all spools are Odd just by being spools.
While the ultimate difference may be difficult to define, as someone suggested earlier..the eye of the beholder...and those looking at a creation often make a clear distinction.

Last edited:
I have a friend in Michigan who built a bunch of "Fiddle Faddles" from my original design. I can't remember which competition or maybe a cert level she was trying to enter one of them in as most are HP jobs, but they told her she couldn't use it because it was an odd rock. Neither of us would have thought this was an odd rock design but apparently because of the box fins at the bottom, it is. You judge for yourself. Pardon the beer can. It's only there as a size reference.

This is not truly an odd-rock design. I have been told by a few TAP members that is okay to fly for a cert flight as the square base fin is equal to a ring fin. Yes, I attempted my L3 with the biggest version. Nothing wrong with the design as it flies straight in all sizes - even on windy days! :wink:

now if one were to replace the nose with a flat plate and made it look more like a jackstand...:).
rex

@ Rex, way too funny man! Right up there with the tag Lawrence gave it, "A Flying Weather Vane".
@ Kath, Hey girl! Didn't know you were a member. Good to see you around. Was I incorrect in my statement regarding you being told it was a odd rock? Could have sworn you told me that.

Everything I need to know about defining an Odd Roc I leaned in Kindergarten. To define an Odd Roc you simply need to apply the following legal test: The Odd Roc Kindergarten Playground test. Imagine the club launch as a Kindergarten playground - that is not hard to do - and you have a rocket. You go over to the HI PO clique and they do not let you play with them, then you go over to the pink book competition clique and same result, and the same with the sport, scale, futurists/sci-fi, PMC, saucer, spool, Goonies, card stock, mid power, low power, micros, cluster junkies and altitude junkies. After all that rejection you finally find a small group way over in the corner of the field and there is the Odd Roc clique. They welcome you and your rocket with open arms and shake you warmly by the hand. You have built an Odd Roc.

Everything I need to know about defining an Odd Roc I leaned in Kindergarten. To define an Odd Roc you simply need to apply the following legal test: The Odd Roc Kindergarten Playground test. Imagine the club launch as a Kindergarten playground - that is not hard to do - and you have a rocket. You go over to the HI PO clique and they do not let you play with them, then you go over to the pink book competition clique and same result, and the same with the sport, scale, futurists/sci-fi, PMC, saucer, spool, Goonies, card stock, mid power, low power, micros, cluster junkies and altitude junkies. After all that rejection you finally find a small group way over in the corner of the field and there is the Odd Roc clique. They welcome you and your rocket with open arms and shake you warmly by the hand. You have built an Odd Roc.

Actually we have a whole yahoo group LOL and all Odd-Roc's are welcome:)
OBTW aren't goonies by their existance ODD-Rocs? I only have the one so I can't really judge....

Back