Daffynition: What really makes something an Odd-Roc?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I've seen some of those on rocket reviews (oddly enough theve been oop since 196somthing) I haope semroc makes a retrorep of it

The Spaceman is available from Semroc for $6. They don't show up in the regular catalog but if you use their search you will find it.
Decals are available from Excelsior

Now estes is making plastic Rockets : ( I can put my 2pennies on that the only kits that are "authentic" are the intercepter the der red max and the bertha. Now semroc is just making everything estes USED to make but hey people like it :) please note I was not alive when estes was in it's glory days I wish I was

Now estes is making plastic Rockets : ( I can put my 2pennies on that the only kits that are "authentic" are the intercepter the der red max and the bertha. Now semroc is just making everything estes USED to make but hey people like it :) please note I was not alive when estes was in it's glory days I wish I was
But you are here now and participating in the hobby in it's new golden age. Plenty of really great things are happening in sport rocketry now, perhaps more than at any time in its history. And you are here to be part of it all. :)

MarkII

But you are here now and participating in the hobby in it's new golden age. Plenty of really great things are happening in sport rocketry now, perhaps more than at any time in its history. And you are here to be part of it all. :)

MarkII

ANd You Say That Like Its A good Thing.......:y::D:y:

ANd You Say That Like Its A good Thing.......:y::D:y:

As far as this being a new golden age of rocketry ScrapDaddy...IS a Great thing.

That your comin up in it?? well that's truely totally up to you...Study, read and learn..it'll be ton's of fun...slap stuff together and try to fly it on the other hand.. you'll be very disappointed.

Well I don't see myself being dissapointed for a long time; I have learned an extreme amout dabbling on rocksim and posting on TRF; before this place I thought that....well I didn't know the difference between what the CP and the CG was in fact I didn't even know what they were :D

Well I don't see myself being dissapointed for a long time; I have learned an extreme amout dabbling on rocksim and posting on TRF; before this place I thought that....well I didn't know the difference between what the CP and the CG was in fact I didn't even know what they were :D

That's what we're here for... to help others.

Tell me! Did your "Handbook of Model Rocketry" arrive yet? I'd really like you to spend some time in the Stability chapter. Rocksim is a nice tool but it is only that, a tool, needing basic knowledge backup so when the program give you unrealistic results you can reconize it and make corrections. A sim is NEVER the answer, it is only a Simulation.

Geesh, I should turn this thread into the mods for going OF TOPIC :y:

Should RockSim ever be mentioned in a thread about odd-rocs?

Before you answer that, is a 3FNC made from tortillas, a jalapeno pepper and painted in taco sauce count as an odd-roc?

There, back on topic :cyclops:

whole_enchilada_complsmall.jpg

Should RockSim ever be mentioned in a thread about odd-rocs?

Before you answer that, is a 3FNC made from tortillas, a jalapeno pepper and painted in taco sauce count as an odd-roc?

There, back on topic :cyclops:
I'd be doubtful about tortilla as a primary structural component. Bit floppy fresh, and brittle if toasted. But if that's a card tube underneath, fine.
But think on- isn't it just a 3FNC covered with tasty snacks?
Now, a 1:1 scale model of a filled tortilla, or even a real one with some structural support (transparent plastic?) which could be shared round the flightline after recovery- THAT is an oddroc.

I'd be doubtful about tortilla as a primary structural component. Bit floppy fresh, and brittle if toasted. But if that's a card tube underneath, fine.
But think on- isn't it just a 3FNC covered with tasty snacks?
Now, a 1:1 scale model of a filled tortilla, or even a real one with some structural support (transparent plastic?) which could be shared round the flightline after recovery- THAT is an oddroc.

The tortilla was used exclusively for the BT and fins so it wasn't just covered. I did use a motor tube, a straw lug, Kevlar twine, an Estes chute and a small piece of cardboard that was slid into the jalapeno as it was too squishy to hold the shock cord. The tortilla was quite robust if not a tad heavy. First flight was under powered and core sampled. Second flight the chute stuck. The tortilla tube was not that smooth. There was minor damage so I stuffed a tube in the top for the third and final unsuccessful flight. :neener:

Last edited:
OK, I say my Whole Enchilada is an odd-roc. Many plastic doohickies become rockets and are still just 3FNC.:D

Odd-Roc forum section is only a little more then a month old which is why there are only 11 threads.

Many of us "Old timers" have been building these Odd contrapsion for as long as we've been flying back in the mid 1960's. I think one of the original ODD-Ball rockets came out as an Estes Kit " the Birdie" which was simple an short 18mm motor powered badmitten bird.
Since then there have been litterly hundreds of strange flying creations. Some don't fly at all like a model rocket, others are built around "themes".
Some NAR Sections have even had on-going annual contest. such as the "Maryland Funny Meet" at which all events are flown with some sort or Odd-Roc. Events Like Un-Scale, Floatation duration, Barbie Bail-out Spot landing, Critter Creations, and on and on.
Odd-Roc creation is only limited by our creativity and imagination....Tempered with a bit of basic Rocket science and engineering. but don't let these frighten or dishearten. These principals are ALL spelled out in Stines Book...and others that I'm sure you'll find and follow up with.

Personally my current rocket fleets (Standard and Micro) contain 63 different Odd-Rocs. I haven't bothered to upload them here again because they were already posted in old TRF-1 in at very long thread on Odd-Roc building. There are a ton of others who fly ODD-Rocs that might be considered regular model rocket like the "Crayon Craze" but I still consider them Odd-Roc as they are truely a strange "Skywriting impliment" LOL!!!!
I've downscaled and stablized the flying toilet but have chosen NEVER to release it as it's even as a 3 D-12 cluster was/is a really tricky build. perhaps when I rework it to fly on a micro maxx cluster I may change my mind, until that time well... the photos of that awful failed attempt will be as far as the public well see:)

Here are a few of the odd rocs in my current fleets, I'm sure if you do a search of TRF-1 you'll find that old thread with Lots of other folks creations as well.

lets hope you MMx Downscale it and what was the main meterial?

The tortilla was used exclusively for the BT and fins so it wasn't just covered. I did use a motor tube, a straw lug, Kevlar twine, an Estes chute and a small piece of cardboard that was slid into the jalapeno as it was too squishy to hold the shock cord. The tortilla was quite robust if not a tad heavy. First flight was under powered and core sampled. Second flight the chute stuck. The tortilla tube was not that smooth. There was minor damage so I stuffed a tube in the top for the third and final unsuccessful flight. :neener:

I like it Dick!
Alway like flying food! Tortilla chips is a wonderful break for the norm. LOL!!!

Thank you, I flew it at LDRS last year on a J350 & Mid West Power on a J570.

Mike

It fly's awesome. Lot of smoke & a flame trail longer than the rocket. Does around 700' to 900'. It's a little bit over stable, so it has a slight arch into the wind, but not to bad.

Started out as a plastic bank.
10 1/2" diameter & about 28" tall & 10lbs.

I tried to load some launch photos, but it wouldn't let me. I don't know if they are to Hi Rez.

Mike

I had the same issue with some of my photos. I had to shrink the image to 75%.

It's the file size that matters. Photoshop's "save for web" feature allows one to adjust the quality of a jpeg to make the file a certain size. There are also several web pages that allow you to upload a photo and it'll spit a smaller version back at you. Google "online image resizer" or some such.

Here's one that I really wish I had built: - Ed Miller's Hershey Hug at NERRF 2005:

kiss_2.jpg

Mark K.

Back