Czech PG-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main problem I can see is that there's a very narrow bit where the tail section joins onto the main body. Unless you can make that out of some very strong tubing or bring the rocket down very gently on a large parachute, it will probably buckle when the rocket lands.

The main problem I can see is that there's a very narrow bit where the tail section joins onto the main body. Unless you can make that out of some very strong tubing or bring the rocket down very gently on a large parachute, it will probably buckle when the rocket lands.

Everything above the fins is nosecone. Easy peasy.

kj

Since the narrow part is where the MMT would be, I'd be tempted to use a long BT-20 like a combo MMT and stuffer tube, and then add the silver detail parts to it. That would be close enough for me.

Everything above the fins is nosecone. Easy peasy.
In that case, the thin bit is not a tube which will buckle, but a narrow rod which will snap...
Since the narrow part is where the MMT would be, I'd be tempted to use a long BT-20 like a combo MMT and stuffer tube, and then add the silver detail parts to it. That would be close enough for me.
That's pretty much what I was thinking of, and it's that BT-20 which will buckle. Especially since, with the fat nose cone, small fins, and motor mount behind the fins, there will probably need to be a good deal of nose weight.

I've been doing a bit of Googling for the PG-15 and found several sites offering them for sale, for example:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=406485
But don't worry, this sizzler cannot fire. It's safe, inert and totally legal to own.
Which means if the model is accurate, it won't break because it won't fly. :D

There's a sharper photo from a different angle here:
https://www.bvs.cz/armysurplus_training_and_deactivated_training_nb73_pg15.html

And a whole PDF full of munitions, including a couple of Bulgarian PG-15's:
https://naveodtechdiv.jeodnet.mil/AfghanOIG/PDF-low/06-Rocket.pdf

(Hmm... Bulgarian... we have a Bulgarian TRF member, perhaps he can help. :))

With all due respect to adrian, that's not what I expect the biggest problem would be.

I would be afraid of what happens when some local homeowner calls the cops because "someone is shooting off fireworks in the park again" and the officer that happens to show up is someone who was in Desert Storm, or 'Nam, and I have to explain that it is only cardboard...

This would make an excellant model MIke!
I may even take a look at micronizeing it.
Adrian, stop! while there some "MINOR" structural consideration it'd be actually pretty easy to consturct this model as either Dave or Kevin have mentioned without major worry about crimping or snaping of anything other then those wimpy fins on landing.
One of the easiest ways would be to have the model seperate at that point with a rear ejection deployment. But it could also be done seveeral other ways maintaining the same look.

Adrian, stop!
No. :)
while there some "MINOR" structural consideration it'd be actually pretty easy to consturct this model as either Dave or Kevin have mentioned without major worry about crimping or snaping of anything other then those wimpy fins on landing.
Fair enough - I wasn't saying that the model should not be built, only that this needs to be taken into consideration.

I'd imagine the fins would survive if made from plywood, basswood or laminated balsa. The chunky motor mount below them should take most of the impact. However, because they are so small, the model will need a good deal of nose weight.

As for the officer in the park, provided you have obtained permission to fly there then he should not be able to stop you; if you haven't obtained permission then he'll stop you whether or not he's a veteran and whatever you're flying! You would need to be extra careful not to let the rocket drift out of sight, as if it gets lost and someone reports it to the police, there won't be anyone around to explain to the officer who finds it that it is really just a detailed replica and not a real military rocket. The best place to fly this model would be at a club launch, partly because everyone there knows that it's only a harmless model and partly so there are more people to admire it. :)

And, as I said, the red scheme shown is for an inert rocket. It looks prettier than the operational rounds, but if you'd prefer to model an operational one then there are a couple in the PDF I mentioned. More Googling should show others in brown or olive schemes.

Just looking at the layout of the rocket, and the fact that the extreme aft section has a lip like any type of ammo cartridge, I got the impression that possibly the entire round you see there doesn't actually fly; that it's a booster that gets the device out of it's launcher, where the motor starts up and carries it onto it's target. This seems to be supported by the picture a few entries down the page here:

https://cartridgecollectors.org/for...ghlight=&sid=348f512194684c3210cefa150c62e648

Maybe it won't be quite the issue as far as modeling and potention tube crimping then?

Alan

OK, I've been watching this long enough, time to take a good drag on the cigar, belt down a good gulp of OLD CROW, and ANTI UP!:bandit:
I think a 1/1 (full scale version can be done, and I'll try it..:viking:
..Let check the posted links, and other material. I'll need at least one good measurement to go from, and as many pictures as I can find.
Should take me a month or so start-finish once I have enough data.:vroam:

AX'E :thrasher:

I agree w/ al that the bottom section would not leave the tube, that probably meant the fins folded too.

OK! Got what I need. It's a recoilless rifle type round. The back is a booster charge that fires the rocket 20M out of the tube, and then the main rocket charge fires. Yes the fins are folded. Amazing what you can learn when you want info! lol
Hopefully I can start drawing up my cads late this week. I'll maybe start a build thread- depending on how the designing goes. TIME ME! lol

AX'E :thrasher:

Back