Anyone Interested in Another Build?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just licked into S1E1 of Thunderbirds on (one of) The Roku Channel(s). I think the Fireflash looks very cool. Plane models are generally not my thing, and I have more than enough on my build pile and my "virtual build pile", but I thought one of you might want to take it on.
1704813827767.png
1704813939500.png

Looking at it some more, I grow concerned about the tail. I know symmetry is over rated, but those big pods at the top look like a whole lot of asymmetric drag. A little cant of the canards might be a good idea. Drag is proportional to the square of airspeed, and lift approximately so (I just looked it up) so a fixed cant angle should do quite well. Don't ask me how to determine the desired angle any better than by trial and error, using swing tests or CFD.

Looking at it some more, I grow concerned about the tail. I know symmetry is over rated, but those big pods at the top look like a whole lot of asymmetric drag. A little cant of the canards might be a good idea. Drag is proportional to the square of airspeed, and lift approximately so (I just looked it up) so a fixed cant angle should do quite well. Don't ask me how to determine the desired angle any better than by trial and error, using swing tests or CFD.
Swing tests? It'll swing stable.

It looks a lot draggier than yours. I never had very serious doubts about yours, but this on looks a lot worse to me. If it swings stable but with a really high pitch angle then consider canting the canards to compensate.

It looks a lot draggier than yours. I never had very serious doubts about yours, but this on looks a lot worse to me. If it swings stable but with a really high pitch angle then consider canting the canards to compensate.
Angling canards sounds like borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Not sure of what the effect would be, and the effect could be dramatically different at different airspeed. You may cause more problems than you fix. so, like those rockets, which are stable during active boost/thrust, but then go unstable during coast..

With those big wings, I think you are likely to be OK, but @lakeroadster ‘s advice certainly carries a lot of value.

Maybe it is anathema to drift away from an exact copy, but does it really hurt to go ahead and throw a ventral thin on, maybe painted black or something else. @burkefj took a little poetic license with his Super Viper (different reasons, but kind of the same point, how exactly do you have to be? ) and I thought it looked great. Sure flew well, at least to my unpracticed eye.

Thinking outside the box, maybe a Lexan fin (hey, worked with @neil_w SkyWriter), that could ALSO fit into a display stand.

I am imagining something like a boost glider “pop-pod” set up. Would need a thick piece of Lexan, but you’re not shooting for altitude records anyway.

Airplane rockets tend not to look “right” on display vertical rather than horizontal.

Angling canards sounds like borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Not sure of what the effect would be, and the effect could be dramatically different at different airspeed. You may cause more problems than you fix. so, like those rockets, which are stable during active boost/thrust, but then go unstable during coast..
Here's how I see it. The drag from those pods will induce an upward pitch torque. If it's as drastic as I suspect, something must be done about it. A slight cant to the canards, slanting down to the front, will create a downward pitch touque to counter that created by the pods. I too was concerned about airspeed sensitivity; so, as I said, I checked and found that that both effects are proportional to the square of the speed, and therefore they are proportional to each other, and that's just what's needed.

I don't see why anything here has to do with whether the vehicle is under thrust or coasting. What led you to bring that up?

but does it really hurt to go ahead and throw a ventral thin on
As is, it has finage both horizontal and vertical, which is all you need to keep it stable (assuming the asymmetric drag is either dealt with or has been exaggerated by me). The lack of a ventral fin gives it a large yaw-roll coupling, which something real aeroplanes face as well. (The main reason that planes don't have ventral tail fins is that they would hit the ground when the nose is up for takeoff and landing.)

Thinking outside the box, maybe a detachable Lexan fin ... that could ALSO fit into a display stand.
That, I ike. Or I would, if I were going to build this, which I'm most probably not. (I feel myself becoming defensive, which there's no reason for, and can only lead in a bad direction, so I'll mostly bow out now.)

Last edited:
Derek Meddings was a genius designer in that his stuff looked fantastic and cool, but aerodynamically, his designs are a disaster. None of this stuff was ever meant to fly. Sky1 from UFO is a perfect example, it's both draggy and unstable. With this design, those boxes on the tail would be ripped off by the airflow on an actual supersonic jet. If those were meant to be the engines, the stress on the tail/rudder would be more than the structure could bear.

That said, you could make those wing pods a little larger and more canted (aka Klingon Battle Cruiser), and that might cancel out the tail boxes (and/or make the tail boxes smaller). I think it could be built, but that said, use lower initial thrust motors. F44's for example, would rip that sucker to shreds.

Derek Meddings was a genius designer in that his stuff looked fantastic and cool, but aerodynamically, his designs are a disaster. None of this stuff was ever meant to fly. Sky1 from UFO is a perfect example, it's both draggy and unstable. With this design, those boxes on the tail would be ripped off by the airflow on an actual supersonic jet. If those were meant to be the engines, the stress on the tail/rudder would be more than the structure could bear.
He does seem to like putting engines in relatively silly and impractical locations. That tends to ping my BS-meter, even though many of my own designs have ridiculous aspects to them as well.

But they do look cool.

Latest posts

Back