Cutting Thin Aluminum Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
I have a piece of 0.016 x 4 x 10 (inches) sheet aluminum. I want to cut a strip off of the short side with a width of about 0.08 inches. What is the best way to do this without doing violence to either the desired piece or the main stock?

Greg

Just a thought, maybe multiple passes with a utility knife? Not an xacto, but a heavy-duty retractable blade type knife.

Maybe a strip of masking tape between your straight-edge and the aluminum to keep from scratching it?

Ive used tin snips on roughly the same material, but it wasted more material, as everything 'curled up' from the action of the snips.

Rock-Paper-Scissors.....

Steel cuts aluminum :p

If you don't have access to break, I'd mask the cutting side, then measure/mark and either use a razor or dremel w/cutting disk. Piece of cake. You could also try a jig saw. I'm not sure how well a blade will work but you could definitely ride the dremel cutting disk against a thicker piece of aluminum or steal to make sure you have a straight line and the disk doesn't wander. The key is to make sure you don't stray out of the cut because that will mar the end result.

Last edited:
If you are going to try to use power tools, I would suggest using a lightweight adhesive, like the spray-mount stuff, to fix the aluminum to a piece of MDF prior to cutting. You will get a better cut when you support the thin metal with something that is dense, strong and flat.

G.D.

An Exacto knife is your best bet for cutting strips. I have worked with Flite-Metal aluminum self adhesive stock for R/C Jets and while thinner, it is still the best method for cutting thin metal. You need to use specific blades though, such as number 10, 22, 23 and 25 and pull the blade from heal to toe as you are cutting. You may want to use the larger, 1/2" Exacto knife with blades similar in shape to the ones I mentioned. The piece will curl, so be careful while you are cutting and as stated, take multiple passes, with the first past the most critical for setting the cutting path. I find it best to tape the metal piece to a table or piece of shelfboard, then lay a metal ruler along the edge of the piece, only exposing as much as you want to cut. You also may want to clamp the ruler down tot he board so it does not move. Once done, use some 400-600 grit sandpaper to carefully sand both sides of the strip to remove the ridge at the edge caused by cutting.

Good luck,

Carl

I'll second what Jeff said. I have used a utility knife to cut 22 gauge steel. It will work fine for your aluminum sheet. (You may need to make a few passes with the blade.) A clerk at a hardware store once cut down a sheet of aluminum for me using a large pair of scissors (not metal shears).

X-acto knife. It is only .016 thick so it will be easy. Follow Carl's advice.

The ideal tool is known as a Pexto sheet metal shear.

https://www.pexto.com/shearing/1-20.cfm

The link has a picture of one so you will now know what they look like. You can easily cut up a sheet into dozens of tiny strips.
That's true, I suppose. But who has $1500 to blow for such a tool? Cutting thin aluminum sheet with a sturdy knife and a metal straightedge will be just as effective at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Oh, but one can dream, though.... I'd love to have one of those, plus a metal-forming machine. But I would have to be a full-time sheet metal worker to justify the cost for a cutter like that.

Last edited:
Back