Cutting Air frame tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accpool

Reaction score
i can't find a technique to cut body tube. i need to cut about 1" length from a 3" diameter tube that was damaged by being dragged on a windy day on a lake bed. i would also like to learn how to cut slots in tube to mount through wall fins.

i can't find a technique to cut body tube. i need to cut about 1" length from a 3" diameter tube that was damaged by being dragged on a windy day on a lake bed. i would also like to learn how to cut slots. in tube to mount through wall fins.

Check out apogees website under their advance videos

What kind of tube is it? Ive cut PML tubes with a miter saw. Paper tubes such as Loc with a utility knife and a hose clamp to get a good clean cut. As far as cutting slots into tubes, ive done that all by hand or with a dremel with a cut-off wheel.

for repairing a damaged body tube a wormgear hose clamp will do the trick nicely. if you can find a convient insert that will serves as an internal mandrel all the better. use a new X-acto blade or NEW box cutter blade. You will have to move the hose clamp to clear the wormgear head but if you've marked the tube this is very easy.

if glass or cfiber diamond blade in tile saw is best. can use diamond blade in table saw. clean square cuts.

Slots: after marking sites, drill bit of corresponding thickness at each end. Serves as a guide for your slots as well as a bit of insurance that you don't cut too far.

Airframe: if previously painted, depending upon what I need to do, I'll lay 2" tape on the area, pencil and cut through the tape. Keeps from trying to remove marks from the paint job.

Later!

--Coop

FYI it was paper tube. i left forum after afterburners suggestion and went apogee's site, ended up staying up until 1 a.m. watching video. i'm sure wife was wondering what kind of videos i was was watching in the middle of the night:confused:

has anyone made any kind of jig or tool that hold the tube and the blade or knife that could help me get a straight and true cut?

FYI it was paper tube. i left forum after afterburners suggestion and went apogee's site, ended up staying up until 1 a.m. watching video. i'm sure wife was wondering what kind of videos i was was watching in the middle of the night:confused:

has anyone made any kind of jig or tool that hold the tube and the blade or knife that could help me get a straight and true cut?
I was thinking about making one,one side of the tube would have to be a perfect 90 for it to work. It would be simple to make as long as you start with material that is cut square. I would drill a hole through an exacto knife and screw it down tight. Attaching it to a slide rule might be cool.

I was thinking about making one,one side of the tube would have to be a perfect 90 for it to work. It would be simple to make as long as you start with material that is cut square. I would drill a hole through an exacto knife and screw it down tight. Attaching it to a slide rule might be cool.

what about a variation on the fin jig part that holds the tube, but allows you to turn the tube. and attach your blade with a pivot point to allow you to score the tube and then apply more preasure as you are cutting through. similar to a cut off saw.

would allowing the tube ends to be free so as to remove the perfectly cut end of the tube and the 90 degree alignment issue to become a mute point?

Made by Master Airscrew for cutting balsa strips but I've used it to cut tubing too.
But it only goes out to 13/16"...
Mstr Airscrew cutter 1.jpg Mstr Airscrew cutter 2.jpg

JP

Back