Custom Lauch Pad --- Sort Of ......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckreef

Reaction score
With my 2 winter builds fast approaching I figured I needed to get my ground support in order.

Knowing my little, plastic, Estes launch pad wouldn't cut it, I started thinking. Sitting in the closet collecting dust for the last 10 years was an old telescope tripod mount. Instead of letting it collect dust for the next 20 years I figured it was time to use it. It's a little heavy but plenty strong enough. I started doing a few mods.

I cut the telescoping legs down a bit. Each leg can adjust about 2" just in case the ground is a little un-level.

Pad-Adjustment.jpg

Although each leg is tightened down with a wing nut I added a quick release, center brace so that a leg couldn't get accidentally kicked out.

Pad-Braceing.jpg

The rocket launch rod/rail will be able to swivel 360 degrees (shown is the swivel tightening screw). This allows last min (pre-launch) adjustments to make up for wind direction without picking up the mount.

Pad-360-Knob.jpg

The mount will be able to adjust from 0-90 degree launch angle. I will move the angle gauge to the other side so it shows 90-0 instead of 0-90.

Pad-0-90.jpg

The last pic is of the basic pad. The thrust deflector should sit about 24" - 36" off the ground.

Pad-v1.jpg

I still have some work to do on this pad but it's coming along. Going X-mas shopping tomorrow and will stop by Lowes to pick up a few more parts to continue with the Pad build. All ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:
Probably be great for mid power. What rockets and reloads are you planning on flying off of it?

Building this for a Gamma Star and a Stratoblaster, max "F" load (my 2 winter builds). I fly RC Nitro on a weekly basis and trying to merge that hobby with rockets. Been flying LP rockets for the last 40 years or so off and on. I still have my original Estes field box and launch set from when I was a kid :smile: and I still use it (last launch was a week ago)

Last edited:
VERY nice,Ck! I got tons 'o' telescope tripods just begging to be re-purposed. I picked up a 1/2" keyless drill chuck for diff rods sizes just for this reason.

Did some more work on the launch pad.

1) This is the internal "business end" that makes the transition from the mount to the launch rods/rail.

2) J-B weld a wing nut to the bolt end. This makes opposing wing nuts to tighten down the launch pad assembly by hand.

3) Here is the mount. Shown is 1/4" launch guides waiting for a 1010 rail.

4) The 2 stove bolts are ready to accept a 4' x 1010 launch rail.

5) The angle adjustment. The chrome screw off to the right sets the launch angle. Show is about 69 degrees.

6) To load a glider you can pull it down to a 0 degree angle.

I still have a bit more work to do on this pad but it's coming along. I will also make a quick connect 1/4" x 4' launch rail that will mate with the launch guides for the Strato Blaster.

BusinessEnd.jpg

JBWeldWingnut.jpg

Mount1.jpg

StoveBolts.jpg

AngleAdjScrew.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back from X-mas vacation and I guess my wallet survived --- sort of :jaw:

AnyWho I need to get back on this RCBG project.

I picked up a 1/2" keyless drill chuck for diff rods sizes just for this reason.

I like this idea so ............

I jacked a keyless chuck from an old Makita cordless drill that hasn't been used in the last 10 years. Tomorrow will go by HomeDepot and get the hardware items needed to interface this chuck into my current launch pad. This will give my launch pad the ability to have a launch rail along with different launch rods as needed.

Pictured below is the keyless chuck with a 3/16" rod inserted.

Chuck-with3-16rod.jpg

Very keen idea. Tripod are good for model and mid power. They get unstable with larger rockets

Here is the launch rod adapter.

If I don't get distracted I should be able to finish this up after dinner tonight and post the final pictures.

RodAdapter.jpg

No distractions and I think I got her done :wink:

Originally she was configured for a 1010 rail and the Gamma Star. It should have the proper clearance to the guide rods for the 1010-rail/Gamma Star setup.

The new keyless chuck launch rod assembly (installed) should have the proper clearance to the guide rods for the Strato-Blaster.

If I did my measurements/calculations correctly everything should work as planned (fingers crossed). Changing out from the launch rail to the keyless chuck assembly takes about 60-90 seconds at the most.

Here is two final pictures. Everything is painted black. A 1/8" rod attached along with the exhaust deflector. A Estes "C" sized rocket on the pad for reference. Will probably fly that rocket tomorrow just for the heck of it waiting for my newly ordered parts to arrive. I have to try out the new launch pad configuration while I am still on vacation :D

LaunchPad-1.jpgLaunchPad-2.jpg

I ordered a 12v controller. It was factory new but a "scratch-n-dent" for only $25.00. They e-mailed me before shipping and the only thing wrong with it was the pizzio buzzer didn't work. Figuring all those parts would have easily cost me $25 I had them ship it anyway. A quick trip to Radio Shack and $3.50 later the buzzer was once again working and all was good. I also added a few bells & whistles.

It now has banana plugs to get it's power from my RC flight box (12v @ 7 amp). I also put the main cord (about 40 feet) on a spool with 2 different quick connect leads. One with alligator clips for Estes igniters and one with the copper head clip.

Slow and steady progress towards a RCBG.

LaunchController.jpg

Latest posts

Back