CTI VMAX Reliability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fly H410 & H400s vmax all the time and it does happen, I have launched a lot of them (about 20 this year) and only about 3 of them did not light or lit then was snuffed out. I only use motor eject for back up on a vmax!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I fly H410 & H400s vmax all the time and it does happen, I have launched a lot of them (about 20 this year) and only about 3 of them did not light or lit then was snuffed out. I only use motor eject for back up on a vmax!!!!!!!!

This gives me pause. If I were in the business of selling rocket motors, I would way rather see one cato on the pad than fail to eject and come in ballistic. The latter is by far the more dangerous scenario.

I have always thought that AeroTech's decision to market the Warp-9's as plugged was the high road solution to the same problem being seen here.

I flew a I455 at the TCC launch in August. timro here on TRF videoed the flight. I drilled the delay so that it would be 2 seconds LONG. The motor ejection charge went off 2 seconds BEFORE the altimeter, but the charge was not sufficient to eject the nose cone. The altimeter kicked the cone off and the rocket was recovered successfully. Even so a 4 second delta on a 9 second delay was a little excessive.

Until I read this thread, I had no idea there was a problem with these motors. I've flown an E-75, a couple of H-410's, about 3-4 H-400's, and most recently, an F-240. I have not had any problems with these at all! They're very cool motors. Phil L.

I feel as a responsible Rocketeer I should do everything I can to make my flight as safe as possible that includes reducing the risk of a lawn dart therefore all my hpr rocket flights I use electronic ejection with oversized ejection charge and the motor ejection as back up and I do not drill out the delay but that's just me.

I miss the original H565 VMAX, Andy Worner challenged me to fly it as it was the first in CA (best recollection) . I flew at least 1/2 dozen of them and since then at least 20 H400's and the fins are still on my PML Phobos (Quantum tubing) along with a bunch of other flights. VMAX the only way to fly...

I miss the original H565 VMAX, Andy Worner challenged me to fly it as it was the first in CA (best recollection) . I flew at least 1/2 dozen of them and since then at least 20 H400's and the fins are still on my PML Phobos (Quantum tubing) along with a bunch of other flights. VMAX the only way to fly...

I just flew my quantum tube Patriot that I bought parts for from Andy Woerner at our last TRASD launch with the new H550ST DMS .

He 'upsold' me the AeroPack retainer ..saying I wouldn't be sorry . Well almost 10 years later I am not ..rocket is still flying .

Andy also set me up with components to make a 1/2 scale Black Brant VI ..quantum tube 2.6" upsold on another AP , 38mm mmt, and nomex blanket . That rocket has flown on a H410-VM and more recently the other end of the spectrum- the longburn I125 ..4400 ft agl.

He told me you can always adapt down..but you cant adapt up. Today even my paper rockets get upgrades like nomex, kevlar bridals, fabric chutes and retainers .

Back to topic, I have not had any more catos with the vMax vs anything else.

Kenny

Back