Creating a Nosecone for an 8" Dia. Big Bertha?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any thoughts a to creating a nosecone for an upscale Big Bertha? If I do this build, I plan to use 8" dia concrete form tubes as I used for "Not a Rocket Scientist". Upscaling the rocket to an 8" diameter would make the rocket 10 feet tall.

I'd want to weight the nosecone so that I have no CG/CP issue. I'd also probably run a 4" dia Blue Tube through the 8" dia. body for the main parachute/ piston. The fin section would be a TTW construction with maybe 3/8" or 1/2" plywood fins epoxied & fiberglassed to a 3" dia. motor tube.

I've turned 1" thick layers of foam insulation board before to create a nosecone for an upscale 6" dia. Honest John, and for the 24" wide body of Marvin Martian Jr., but it is really a hassle.

Any other thoughts besides the messy turning of foam insulation board? I'd add weight inside the nosecone with epoxy & BB's as I've done before.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5461.jpg
    IMG_5461.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4864.jpg
    IMG_4864.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 0
As messy as it is. I would be inclined to go FG over foam board. It's hard to beat the cost and the ease to work with it.

As messy as it is. I would be inclined to go FG over foam board. It's hard to beat the cost and the ease to work with it.
It's a tried and true tradition for a reason!

Alternatively, 3D printing is an option. I could likely make one on my printer, but it would have to come in two sections. I print everything in PETG to benefit from the extra resistance to heat compared to PLA, mostly to keep it from sagging in the sun.

I've definitely thought about the same nosecone but in 5.5", so if you're interested we can probably give it a shot. Shoot me a DM. I'm not much of a 3D designer myself, but my brother is.

Braden

It's a tried and true tradition for a reason!

Alternatively, 3D printing is an option. I could likely make one on my printer, but it would have to come in two sections. I print everything in PETG to benefit from the extra resistance to heat compared to PLA, mostly to keep it from sagging in the sun.

I've definitely thought about the same nosecone but in 5.5", so if you're interested we can probably give it a shot. Shoot me a DM. I'm not much of a 3D designer myself, but my brother is.

Braden
I have fusion 360 files for my 3-piece BB nosecone for a 4.6" OD tube.

How about a giant plastic Easter egg? I almost used one for a mold for my 10 inch Fatman.

I'm presently doing that for an LDRS project. Using a plastic Easter egg and a 10" concrete tube scuffing it up and wetting out a fiberglass Soller Composite sleeve over it. I'll cut the nosecone to size after it's glassed over and insert the shoulder.

10nosecone.jpg

I'm presently doing that for an LDRS project. Using a plastic Easter egg and a 10" concrete tube scuffing it up and wetting out a fiberglass Soller Composite sleeve over it. I'll cut the nosecone to size after it's glassed over and insert the shoulder.
Hey Phil, don't tease us, show us the rest of the rocket!!!!!!🤣 Easter egg looks like a perfect fit.

Latest posts

Back