• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Cosmodrome Black Brant II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a built one that I made with a 38mm MMT. I am willing to make a deal, if interested.

I have a built one that I made with a 38mm MMT. I am willing to make a deal, if interested.
Thanks for the offer. I’m hoping to locate an unbuilt kit right now. Unfortunately, I rarely get to launch anything, so building is a big part of the hobby for me.

What motors do you launch that thing with? At 38mm it must really get going!

Honestly, it's been so long since I've launched it, I don't remember. I just wanted the option of going to 38mm, but I have a 29mm adapter for it as well. If you can't find one, let me know.

Let me look in the basement. if I recall correctly,, I have a Red Arrow Hobbies BBII mid-power kit. I think I have decals for it as well. I can send pics once I lay my hands on it.
Not familiar Red Arrow Hobbies. Still hoping to get a Cosmodrome kit as I like the balsa parts, but curious about this one. The only other BBII that I thought of is the Madcow 2.6" in fiberglass.

Red Arrow Hobbies went out of business probably 10 years ago. I’ve had this kit for at least 15 years, and it is probably a 20 year old kit. I remember buying the decals for it separately—I cut a slit so I could insert the decals into the bag to keep all together. All have been hanging in my (heated) basement.
Kit has a 2.54” phenolic airframe, 30” long. Has plywood fins that are thick-look like 1/4”, with TTW tab at the top of fin. 3/8” brass launch lugs, which were standard for high power back in the day.38mm phenolic motor tube, 18” long. Looks like molded nosecone and tailcone, both filled with foam in the void spaces inside. See pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_8396.jpg
    IMG_8396.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8397.jpg
    IMG_8397.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8398.jpg
    IMG_8398.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8399.jpg
    IMG_8399.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8400.jpg
    IMG_8400.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8401.jpg
    IMG_8401.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
I have a Cosmodrome Nike Smoke. Nice kit. Massive nosecone. To protect it from damage, I used the old VCP (excel-based) app from Gary Crowell to design two conical pieces that fit the nosecone: one for the base to the wide point of the nose (about 2 inches up from the base), then another piece from the wide point to the nose tip. Kept printing it on paper until I had a good fit, then I used the paper as a template to cut out 6oz plain weave fiberglass. I then glassed the nosecone from base to tip and started sanding and filling it to get a smooth finish. It's hard to tell it is glassed, but it is now dent-resistant.

I've also been interested in purchasing the BBII for a while also - please keep me informed, thanks!

I'm down for +1 as well.
Assuming you would rather accept direct payment yourself (than subsidize distributors like Apogee), let us know if you still prefer to take payment by check or money order only, or if online payment are now an option.

TIA,
a

I've got just a few BBII's and Apogee is getting these ones. Will be putting more together soon. I'm going to plan on a bigger batch of kits for the next run.
Bummer. Not that I really have anything against Apogee, I order from them now and then. I doubt that I'm on a "top buyer list" though. Hopefully they make it to the website for purchase. Will have to keep an eye out!

Happy that you are making and selling kits though!

Last edited:
Red Arrow Hobbies went out of business probably 10 years ago. I’ve had this kit for at least 15 years, and it is probably a 20 year old kit. I remember buying the decals for it separately—I cut a slit so I could insert the decals into the bag to keep all together. All have been hanging in my (heated) basement.
Kit has a 2.54” phenolic airframe, 30” long. Has plywood fins that are thick-look like 1/4”, with TTW tab at the top of fin. 3/8” brass launch lugs, which were standard for high power back in the day.38mm phenolic motor tube, 18” long. Looks like molded nosecone and tailcone, both filled with foam in the void spaces inside. See pictures.
Out of curiosity, you looking to sell the Red Arrow Hobbies Black Brant II?

Hello, yes I purchased the Red Arrow kit. I never did see the Cosmodrome kits listed on Apogee. I think they are offered to Apogee VIP buyers first, before the regular folks. Hopefully Mike will another batch and sell direct to buyer.

Hello, yes I purchased the Red Arrow kit. I never did see the Cosmodrome kits listed on Apogee. I think they are offered to Apogee VIP buyers first, before the regular folks. Hopefully Mike will another batch and sell direct to buyer.
I am a Apogee VIP customer and I was checking periodically their site for the BBII. Never saw it listed nor was notified. Been waiting a while to purchase this one.

Back