Concern: Terminal Blocks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Issus-

LOVE the avionics bay! I was going to use these but I was concerned that my quick link or swivel would possibly short out on the exposed screws on the terminal block....even though they would be covered in tape. I would cover those terminal blocks with electrical tape when you prep for flight.

LOVE the design drawings! Wow man....very cool.

Its a combination of Solidworks an Illustrator.

I just cover my terminals in masking tape, it doesnt get gummy like electical tape and it doesnt melt. It would be pretty much impossible to short one terminal to another, as the "barrier" part of the barrier block is a raised plastic wall between the two circuits.

With the use of ring terminals (when you can be bothered crimping that many) and a bit of heatshrink and hot glue you can completely seal the wire off from ejection gasses and still be very convenient to use, with no chance of a pressure spike or ejection gasses entering your AV bay :)

I epoxied the hole in the bulkhead the wires come through also covering the short segment of wires leading to the terminal blocks. I covered the terminal blocks with duct tape (over the plastic terminal block itself, so it won't gum up the terminals), although next test/flight I'll use masking tape.
I ordered some of the speaker terminals suggested above for my next ebay, which I think will be a great way to completely isolate all the wiring, and avoid any possible issues.
Thanks for the great idea!

My last ebay builds, I covered the hole the wires pass through, the exposed wires conecting the alt to the terminal block, and the space getting them into the terminal blocks with hot glue. Seals it up pretty well.

Just have to keep mud out of the screws so they don't rust / to the point of not being able to change the ejection charge.

Back