Terminal Blocks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
I like using terminal blocks for my ejection charges and other things but the last batch I bought is sub-par and I do not remember where I got them. What is everyone using nowadays and where are you getting them from?

I generally use either brass lugs, with wing nuts, or I use these:
Terminals

Pretty much drill a hole adequate for the plugs where needed, then fill the hole with epoxy or hot glue (I'd suggest hot glue---just for gas sealing).
They have a plug as a disconnect and I can disassemble the electronics bay pretty easily. I usually hard wire one end of the electronics bay, and leave the other removable. They make these terminals without the plug, if you need it.

A-lot of folks like the JST connectors for the quick disconnect, and just use either a terminal strip or a 90 degree terminal strip with terminals through the bulkhead, for the same. I've found I need to be more delicate with those.

I buy most funky hardware from McMaster-Carr since they have everything, and it is one day shipping. This is not the budget choice, however.
Their Terminal blocks seem fine to me after you cut off the bottom stand offs.

I buy most funky hardware from McMaster-Carr since they have everything, and it is one day shipping. This is not the budget choice, however.
Their Terminal blocks seem fine to me after you cut off the bottom stand offs.
Can you tell me the search terms you use for those or a link? I went perusing that site and didn't find them...I am likely screwing something obvious up

I generally use either brass lugs, with wing nuts, or I use these:
Terminals

Pretty much drill a hole adequate for the plugs where needed, then fill the hole with epoxy or hot glue (I'd suggest hot glue---just for gas sealing).
They have a plug as a disconnect and I can disassemble the electronics bay pretty easily. I usually hard wire one end of the electronics bay, and leave the other removable. They make these terminals without the plug, if you need it.

A-lot of folks like the JST connectors for the quick disconnect, and just use either a terminal strip or a 90 degree terminal strip with terminals through the bulkhead, for the same. I've found I need to be more delicate with those.
Interesting. I like those and have to try them on my next build.

For 4" and below rockets I like using the "Euro" style white terminals a number of people have posted above.

For 5" and above (with a little more room on the bulkhead), I like to use these from McMaster-Rocket:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/terminal-blocks/terminal-blocks-11/

They are super robust, hold the wire very well, and are immune to breaking from black powder charges. If you buy the accompanying "marker strip", you get a nice place to label your main, you drogue, primary, backup, airstart, etc channels.

Some examples:

Non-cluster, Wildman Ultimate (6"):

PXL_20211012_204029931.jpg

8" Goblin, Cluster with Airstart channels:

PXL_20220503_225557678.jpg

I like this approach. Are you crimping the ejection charge wires with the ring connector? Or just the wires coming from the altimeter?
The ring terminals are for the leads from the altimeter. I just strip the insulation off the end of the e-match and wrap around the allthread between two washers then tighten the knurled nuts. I cover this all with tape or one of these:
https://a.co/d/2bXuUuL

Where do you source those? Seems like I've seen a few different versions but don't know which to get. Also, are you just gluing those to the bulkhead and how do you attach the wiring on the other side? Soldering it I assume?

For my rockets, I drilled two holes through the bulkheads matching the pitch of the leads for the block. Feed one wire through per hole, then solder together (don't forget the heat shrink beforehand!). Then whip up some JB weld and put some around the hole, where the block will land - and pull the mess back together and let cure. I have over 20 flights on one rocket using this terminal block.

I sourced mine by analyzing the parts list for Altus Metrum TeleMetrum and TeleMini units, then ordering via digikey. I essentially have a lifetime supply at this time at the rate I'm building rockets lately.

Dave, I think choice of terminal blocks comes down to a lot of personal preference and knowing youself. For instance, I will never use a Euroblock or screw style terminal as I know I'll overtorque it at the field, crimp the wire, and worry about it breaking. Those methods work, but I know my own personal limitations.

Like others have posted, I've moved to building up my own with fairly common components. I glue a PEM nut into the bulkhead, thread a small section 0f 4-40 threaded rod into it, then make connections with common 4-40 nuts. On the inside, use a crimp terminal with strain relief. On top, the knurled nuts work great for cold, clumsy fingers. Not shown is that I add a vinyl cap over the terminal to prevent any metal laundry shorting the terminals. Cost, almost nothing. Serviceable, replaceable, seals the bulkhead, done with pretty common components that you can buy in bulk, share with friends, etc.

View recent photos.jpeg

For larger airframes, I've been making my own with 4-40 aluminum allthread and insulated knurled nuts.
I've gone to something very similar for anything that uses dual deploy, except I use brass since it's a lot more conductive. I'll use a screw if I want a permanent connection on one side, or I'll cut the head off and use a nut if I want both sides to be removable. I've been using 6-32 for no good reason; my next rocket I'm planning to go all the way down to a 2-56.

Latest posts

Back