Competition Scale Model Rockets - translation interest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score
Competition Scale Model Rockets.jpg
Is there a translation of this? I suspect not or it would have been mentioned somewhere. The three volumes are about 600 pages. A thumb-fingered translation would be tedious, but possible. Interest?

And nope, I don't have any idea what the copyright issues would be. The pdf copies I have don't appear to show a copyright, but then, I'm not sure what it'd look like in Russian. It's possible though that my copies don't include a title page that might have the copyright.

Last edited:
Depends on what's in it. The title doesn't give much of a hint.
All aspects of scale model rocketry, but focused on FAI. It is almost 20 years old, so a bit dated. It's not scale data, but very technical on methods, materials, and analysis.

Boy, I can highly recommend deepl.com for translation. The 30-day free trial requires a $10/mo subscription but is really easy to cancel at any time with no charge. Since I only needed this document translated I didn't keep the subscription. But it was super easy to use and I think it did a pretty good job. Translating pdf-to-pdf. It did a good job at keeping the document formatting, including the photos and figures, and even a good try at the equations.

Unfortunately, Adobe did a terrible job converting the translated pdf into an editable docx. The formatting went to hell and it completely blew away the equations. Does anyone know of a better pdf to doc translator? Or is there a good in-pdf editor? Either/both free, of course. I'm not really worried about the equations - I'll probably end up grabbing them as images from the original text.

The rest of the text translation to be corrected is kind of fun, and educational (remembering the little I'd studied of Russian very long ago). 'Model-copy' is find/replace changed to scale model; Rice. to Fig; athlete to modeler; a few things like that. Change some prepositions and conjunctions, and sometimes some other changes in sentence structure and it reads pretty well. Overall it should be pretty easy, but the formatting is the biggest block - I have a lot to learn in LibreOffice.

The book is really much deeper than I had first imagined. Sort of a combination between "Handbook of Model Rocketry" and "Topics in Advanced Model Rocketry", only squared. It really doesn't apply only to Scale. I'll attach a pdf of the Table of Contents of the first volume, and you'll see what I mean. (Note, I still haven't fixed a few odd terms you'll find on that ToC; i.e., 'benchmarking' = scale judging.)

Attachments

• Competition Scale Model Rockets V1 en - ToC.pdf
    150.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Oh, FWIW, I found the source: http://www.frms.ru/models

Your browser should be able to translate that page. The first set of items there are links to the three volumes of the book, and the second is a link to a couple dozen of Minakov's rocket scale drawings.

I've done a lot of work on the second volume (which is the least technical - no equations) and might have it done by next week.

Back