Compatible primers...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
Are there any high build sandable primers that are compatible with Krylon or Kilz? I'd preferably like to be able to get them at walmart or sherwin williams.

Are there any high build sandable primers that are compatible with Krylon or Kilz? I'd preferably like to be able to get them at walmart or sherwin williams.

Not from Walmart or Sherwin but Advanced Auto Parts has Dupli color grey primer for 2.44 a can they did have 2 for 4 and I got 4 cans.

Ben

Ok cool...so duplicolor is compatible with Krylon and Kilz paints?...am I right?

Ok cool...so duplicolor is compatible with Krylon and Kilz paints?...am I right?

not sure on Kilz but Krylon yes. If you want, for 4.80 a can, you can get the nice hard shiny auto paints at Advanced too. Ever since i used them my model ROCK!

Ben

I never thought about going to an auto parts place for paints...I think I'll stop by there tonight and see what they have...maybe I'll get lucky and find a mirage kit. I really like that paint but it's high.

I never thought about going to an auto parts place for paints...I think I'll stop by there tonight and see what they have...maybe I'll get lucky and find a mirage kit. I really like that paint but it's high.

mirage kit? They have (here atleast) a kit that you can make it change 4 colors at different views. $50 for 5 cans (not per color 5 cans in the kit) not sure what it colors but looks cool.

Ben

The duplicolor paints in auto stores are lacquer based. I like them because they dry faster, "melt" into the previous layer and are easier (for me) to work with BUT, they do not dry as hard as enamels and you must use them in an area with good ventalation. Once you have all your colors the way you like them, cover it all up with a good acrylic (minwax has a water based one that has worked well for me)

As for primers, Kilz has a very good primer as well as the duplicolor primer. I've used both (on the same rocket even) without problems but I normally use either duplicolor colors or mix my own lacquer color paint (HVLP for those big projects)

-Aaron

I painted all my rockets (except my Aerotech Mirage with Krylon) using Duplicolor automotive paint. I really like the Duplicolor even though it is more expensive.

Also i've used 3 types of Duplicolor Mirage paint. In my opinion they look fairly cool from 1-5 feet away (maybe only 1-3 feet away) when in good light. Further than 5 feet away you probably won't see much difference.

Red/Blue, and Purple/Gold are noticeable as you walk around the rocket. Red/Blue is a nice color(s). Purple/Gold looked more like Purple/Puke Brown.
The Ice looks REALLY cool 1-3 feet away, but further away and you really can't see the ICE effect all all.

I actually got the Purple/Gold from AutoZone for 1 cent. Apparently that color was not popular and they just wanted to get rid of that item.

Not sure if there are any Meijers in your area, but i also saw where Meijers carried the Duplicolor Mirage too.

I decided not to get the Mirage kit. I went with a high build automotive primer instead and will just use what I have for now.

This Fat Boy is painted in Duplicolor Metalcast.

Fat Boy 3x18mm Mod 002.jpg

bigone5500, Why not use Krylon primers? Kilz is real thick and will fill everything, but you have to wait to apply top coats or you might get cracking in the top coat. I just finished 2 rockets in 2 days using krylon primer. Look under my Vega and Goblin build. I have read that Krylon primer is not thick and does not have filling capabilities. I would agree that one light coat of Krylon primer is not sufficient. I spray light coats 5 min apart. Once the rocket is covered I spray one heavy coat. No runs or other issues. After 1 to 2 hours I sand this smooth and apply one more even coat, all in the same day. The next day I sand the primer smooth and apply my Krylon top coat. I forgot to mention that I apply 4 coats of Balsa sealer the same day I prime. Bottom line, in two days I have my rockets sealed, primed and painted and I don't have to wait a week for the paints to dry.

The primer I bought is Duplicolor FP101 Filler Primer.

Bad choice??

Not sure about the number, but i know most of my rockets i used a gray Duplicolor Filler Primer. Should work good, but be prepared to do some wet sanding.

Bob

Not sure about the number, but i know most of my rockets i used a gray Duplicolor Filler Primer. Should work good, but be prepared to do some wet sanding.

Bob

same here.

Ben

That Mirage kit looks pretty cool...

Watched the 'e-tutor' video on it..6 coats?:surprised: All out of that little rattle can??On that BIG motorcycle gas tank? A little unbelievable that that little can is capable of 6 coats..May have to check it out..I DO like the color changing effect :)

Lacquer based paints go on MUCH thinner than other paints with the same coating ability. They also dry MUCH faster because it is based mostly on acetone (and the reason why you must have good ventilation) As an added benefit to being based on acetone, the acetone will melt into any base paint already on the rocket so the paint wont come off in layers (its just one thick layer once done)

I'd suggest anyone who hasn't tried lacquer based paints to grab a can (they're not that expensive) and give it a try. Worst case is you're out a few dollars for the paint and have to sand it down. Best case is you get a great finish that goes on quickly and easily.

-Aaron

Bob

So when using this primer, just normal sanding is not sufficient?

I've sanded it dry with 150 and 220 grit and wet with 320 and 400 grit. You shouldn't need to use wet sanding, but it does produce a fine powder that will clog sandpaper fast so wet sanding will cut down on that.

-Aaron

Cool. I'll try that. I think I'm going to start taking more time to get a better finish with my rockets. I have been priming, painting, then clear coating in less than two days on most of my builds. I'm about to paint a LOC Warlock and a Custom built 3" LOC Patriot. I really want the best finish I can get for the Patriot. I'm still trying to find some Midnight Blue for my Warlock...:rolleyes:

Back