Club expectations...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The numbers tell a different story, at least to me.

During the 2022-2023 Contest Year, according to the NRC scoreboard, 65 people or teams flew at least some NRC competition flights.
So, when was the golden age of nerc, and what was that like?

I always thought the Stineway had better tone and encouraged greater participation.

You can go watch, and talk to people at either launch for free..

Go see what each is about and then figure out if you want to join either group..

Tony
Yes, meet people from both camps and decide which you can most easily tolerate.

I've flown with both Tripoli North Texas (TNT), the local TRA club, and Dallas Area Rocket Society (DARS), the local NAR club. They're both great, but very different. If you have any intention of flying much over 3,000' I would go with TNT. They're just set up much better to support those kinds of launches, more field, a MUCH higher waiver, and an on site motor vendor. The NAR = LPR, TRA = HPR may be old fashioned, and around the country a lot has changed, but in DFW in remains true to some extent. You don't see N motors at the DARS launch site.

If you're mainly interested in LPR, or generally low flying HPR, DARS is great. Their fields are almost certainly closer, although DFW is big so that may not be the case. Both are super friendly groups, just with slightly different vibes.

This is incorrect. Tripoli absolutely requires your TAP to be present for the flight.
Hi Chuck,
Your statement is correct. However, just for clarification, "the TRA TAP member witnessing and signing off on the cert flight can be a TAP member that was not one of the two TAP that approved and signed off on the build portion of the TRA L-3 cert process".

SO, I am new to all of this. I've built a handful of Estes rockets over my 41 years of life, nothing special. YouTube is what got me interested in HPR's. I probably went the not-so-advised route of just buying a rocket and building it without mentorship, local clubs, or NRA/Tripoli membership. I just enjoy building them so I figured what do I have to lose. Did the Apogee Zephyr (waiting on paint to dry). So now as the end of the build approaches, I'm looking for where to go and launch. Both NAR and Tripoli have local representation here in the DFW area... was hoping to find someone either from each, or even better someone that is in both clubs to give me some insight in to where I'd fit in best. Would like to eventually get my L1, but still learning these bigger platforms. Considering I'll need a membership in either of the National orgs PLUS the local chapter dues, I can really only justify one, not both.

Both clubs have fields that are about the same distance from me.
First, welcome to TRF, and welcome to the DFW rocketry community!

So far as I know, the relatively easy options for flying in DFW are:

1) DARS - NAR club with two launches per month, D-impulse max launch on first Sunday of the month in Arlington and a high-power capable launch on the third Saturday of the month in Gunter, 30-90 minutes north of DFW (depending where you are). Although both launches are currently shut down due to burn bans, they could both be expected to resume in the autumn.

2) Tripoli North Texas - Typically launches on the last Saturday of the month. TNT has two fields, Seymour, 2-3 hours NW of DFW and Akroville in Decatur, 1-2 hours NW of DFW. Seymour launches are two-day launches January through April (with sometimes a month off), and three days over Memorial Day weekend in May. Akroville launches are Saturdays only and would be mostly in the autumn. Unfortunately for various reasons Akroville is not in use this year nor was last year. That means that in all likelihood, TNT won't be launching for the rest of this year.

3) Bob Woodruff Park in Plano - D-motor maximum (due to field size, the rule nearly certainly is intended to mean D-impulse), free permit from the city required. The permit is available to non-residents. Rockets can be launched with the permit from April to October, pending burn bans. As Collin County went into a burn ban in the past week or so, this field is also shut down for now.

4) Tripoli Houston - Tripoli/NAR club which launches on the second Saturday of the month at Hearne Airport, 2-3 hours south of DFW. Shut down in August and September due to conflicting model airplane events. (Tripoli Houston also flies once a month in a more southerly field, but I'm only mentioning the launches relatively close to DFW.)

5) Austin Area Rocket Group - Tripoli/NAR club with launches on the first Saturday of the month at either Apache Pass (near Rockdale) or Hutto, both about 2.5-3.5 hours south of DFW. Currently shut down due to crops and weather, should resume after some rain.

TNT, Tripoli Houston (when flying at Hearne), and AARG all have a motor vendor on site. There is another motor vendor who occasionally delivers at the DARS launches, but his attendance is rare, and I'm unsure he sells anything on site that wasn't pre-ordered.

Both TNT and DARS are friendly, welcoming clubs, but their emphasis is a little different. You can fly high power with DARS, and you can fly low-power with TNT, but high power is more typical of TNT and low-power is more typical of DARS (mid-power flights are common at both clubs). Neither club charges to fly low/mid power. Both have a fee for high power. Fees at DARS launches are significantly lower. Both clubs greatly appreciate volunteers who help with setup or teardown or who take range duty.

Since you're still working with low/mid power, and since DARS has two launches a month both of which are closer to town, and also since TNT is dormant for the moment, it sounds like DARS is probably a better fit for you right now. Come springtime, you might want to take in a launch at Seymour and see what you think when it comes to flying high power in the future.
Also, if you ever think you are going to want to get to L3, look at the list of Tripoli TAPs vs. NAR L3CCs in your area. In my case, I'm a NAR member but there are no L3CC's close to my normal flying field, and a L3CC needs to be at your cert flight. With Tripoli, your TAPs do not have to be at your cert flight, only a Tripoli L3 member to sign off on the flight. I am going to have to join Tripoli, get my NAR L2 recognized by Tripoli and do my L3 as a Tripoli member.
Multiple TAPs work with TNT. DARS has at least one L3CC. DARS is a hard field for L3 though due to the low ceiling. I have seen one L3 attempt there, which was successful. The rocket was deliberately built huge, heavy, and draggy in order to fit the field.

Lately I have been flying with Tripoli Houston. We are both NAR and Tripoli. For you, sounds like the Hearne Municipal Airport would be closest. We also have a motor vendor. (We have another field down by Alvin). There are a couple clubs in Dallas (DARS is the only one I can think of, but seems like there is at least one more), but I am unfamiliar with them. (Hearne is far enough. No desire to drive further....).

If that sounds good, feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer them, or find the answer.
Keep in mind that more and more counties are posting burn bans which means no flying until it's lifted....
Tripoli Houston is a great club. Launching in Hearne is from concrete runways and taxiways at Hearne Municipal Airport. So burn bans don't apply and we normally can fly sparkies.
2nd Saturday each month.

Hi Chuck,
Your statement is correct. However, just for clarification, "the TRA TAP member witnessing and signing off on the cert flight can be a TAP member that was not one of the two TAP that approved and signed off on the build portion of the TRA L-3 cert process".
You only need a TAP if you are trying for level three. Any club prefect can, alone, certify fliers for level one and level two
anytime.

Do you think I do not know that after 25+ years as a TRA TAP?? :popcorn:
How am I supposed to know your biography and history?
I'm just trying to help others. Sorry, I didn't know who you were.
Congratulations on being a
TAP. That is quite an accomplishment! Thank you for your contributions to our hobby!

How am I supposed to know your biography and history?
I'm just trying to help others. Sorry, I didn't know who you were.
Congratulations on being a
TAP. That is quite an accomplishment! Thank you for your contributions to our hobby!
I think the bigger reason for that comment was also the fact that the original comment you were responding to specifically mentions L3 certifications...

Back