Club expectations...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielhv

Reaction score
SO, I am new to all of this. I've built a handful of Estes rockets over my 41 years of life, nothing special. YouTube is what got me interested in HPR's. I probably went the not-so-advised route of just buying a rocket and building it without mentorship, local clubs, or NRA/Tripoli membership. I just enjoy building them so I figured what do I have to lose. Did the Apogee Zephyr (waiting on paint to dry). So now as the end of the build approaches, I'm looking for where to go and launch. Both NAR and Tripoli have local representation here in the DFW area... was hoping to find someone either from each, or even better someone that is in both clubs to give me some insight in to where I'd fit in best. Would like to eventually get my L1, but still learning these bigger platforms. Considering I'll need a membership in either of the National orgs PLUS the local chapter dues, I can really only justify one, not both.

Both clubs have fields that are about the same distance from me.

Last edited:
Any good club should probably let you fly as a guest at least once. If you're after certification, then yes, you will have to join a national organization. I'm a member of NAR (and the NRA, but that's a different hobby) and can't speak to Tripoli as their nearest field is about an extra hour away.

If you're in a hurry, pick one and go for it.

If you have some time, visit each club and see how it goes.

Do they conduct themselves safely and professionally? Are there any motor vendors on site? Is it a family friendly type of affair?

Would you actually want to pay money to join that club?

High powered rocketry is secret code for "I literally burn money", so don't let the cost of club membership stand in the way of enjoying the hobby.

I belong to Tripoli, and my local club. Our club will allow NAR fliers along with Tripoli members. Same rules for both. I am sure that if I went to a NAR launch, I would be treated the same. So either should be just fine for you. If one field is closer, or has launch dates that may fit your time frame better, take a look at that one.

Best is actually visit the clubs during one of their launches. And ask questions.

I an NAR and a member of two clubs. The local one is 20 minutes away but is ONLY LPR & MPR, no FAA wavier for larger rockets. The other club is 2 1/2 hours away but can fly HPR to 17,000 feet.

If you are planning to do a lot of high power and/or make your own motors, join Tripoli. Tripoli has more focus on high power and more HPR certified members, and only under Tripoli rules can you make your own motors, no matter what size.

If you are interested in competition or are more focused on LPR, join NAR, since that's NAR's focus.

SO, I am new to all of this. I've built a handful of Estes rockets over my 41 years of life, nothing special. YouTube is what got me interested in HPR's. I probably went the not-so-advised route of just buying a rocket and building it without mentorship, local clubs, or NRA/Tripoli membership.
Nothing wrong with this. Honestly it's refreshing to see someone who made a decision and bought and built the rocket they wanted instead of starting yet another "What rocket should I use for my level 1" thread. Good luck with your eventual certification.

Lately I have been flying with Tripoli Houston. We are both NAR and Tripoli. For you, sounds like the Hearne Municipal Airport would be closest. We also have a motor vendor. (We have another field down by Alvin). There are a couple clubs in Dallas (DARS is the only one I can think of, but seems like there is at least one more), but I am unfamiliar with them. (Hearne is far enough. No desire to drive further....).

If that sounds good, feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer them, or find the answer.
Keep in mind that more and more counties are posting burn bans which means no flying until it's lifted....

If you are planning to do a lot of high power and/or make your own motors, join Tripoli. Tripoli has more focus on high power and more HPR certified members, and only under Tripoli rules can you make your own motors, no matter what size.

If you are interested in competition or are more focused on LPR, join NAR, since that's NAR's focus.

Nothing wrong with this. Honestly it's refreshing to see someone who made a decision and bought and built the rocket they wanted instead of starting yet another "What rocket should I use for my level 1" thread. Good luck with your eventual certification.

C'mon, man, if we removed all the "What rocket should I use for my Level 1?" and "What motor should I use in my Level 1 rocket?" threads we would only have like 4 or 5 posts left on the whole site... :)

Here’s a couple of things to keep in mind that I didn’t see mentioned (although I did just skim the thread):

*Attend any and all safety meetings and pay attention. You may not be flying that first day, but some rules may apply to you and your awareness avoids creating issues. Keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings. The range is not an inherently dangerous place but there are going to be a lot of rockets in flight over the course of a launch day. It pays to keep track of them and what other people are doing.
*Occasionally range personnel or other fliers will be very busy, but for the most part the range is a great place to chat with other people and check out their projects. Aside from just being plain cool, you might learn something.
*Your club might be lucky enough to have a kit and/or motor vendor on site. If they are, you might be able to grab a ready-to-fly or easy-assembly one and have a go at the low-power pads. It never hurts to practice the fundamentals, and it pays to have a few basic assembly and repair tools on hand.
*Check the weather and be prepared for expected conditions. Have a plan to get out of the elements if you get truly uncomfortable.

Adding one more thing about range etiquette, if you see someone very focused on building a motor or prepping electronics, probably a good idea to admire from afar, not making small talk, until that task is done. Some people will gladly stop everything they are doing to welcome you, while others might be a little less patient. Almost all of them will be happy to talk at other portions of the day. Kind of an addendum to Shane's 2nd bullet point above.

smstachwick said "the range is not an inherently dangerous place". I respectfully disagree. A rocket launch event ("range") most certainly IS an inherently dangerous place. Large amounts of energy are being released in short amounts of time. Mr. Murphy lurks constantly at our elbows. We accept the danger and blunt the risk by following safety codes and practices, and by maintaining high situational awareness. Our hobby's excellent safety record does not mean that it's a low-risk hobby; it means that we take safety seriously and have a good track record to be proud of as a result. And when new participants enter the hobby and say false but comforting things like "the range is not an inherently dangerous place", it is our responsibility to gently correct them and steer them in the right direction.
Bob Schultz

smstachwick said "the range is not an inherently dangerous place". I respectfully disagree. A rocket launch event ("range") most certainly IS an inherently dangerous place. Large amounts of energy are being released in short amounts of time. Mr. Murphy lurks constantly at our elbows. We accept the danger and blunt the risk by following safety codes and practices, and by maintaining high situational awareness. Our hobby's excellent safety record does not mean that it's a low-risk hobby; it means that we take safety seriously and have a good track record to be proud of as a result. And when new participants enter the hobby and say false but comforting things like "the range is not an inherently dangerous place", it is our responsibility to gently correct them and steer them in the right direction.
Bob Schultz
I find that I face 10 times the danger driving to and from the range and 100 times the danger when my wife figures out how much money I burned up at the range 😉

WHERE in DFW is home?
I know Tripoli seems to launch NW of the metroplex and further away for higher power.
We live in McKinney. My kids and I have have been to the DARS Gunter site twice and were hopeful for August but it cancelled.
DARS Arlington is low power ONLY but also cancelled their August date.
We joined DARS and attended their monthly meeting and we like the group so far.

I’m planning a Level 1 eventually and my son is planning a scratch built bigger rocket on low power. My daughter has her eyes in a tall colorful contraption soon.

Come out to Gunter in September (hopefully)!
The DARS website and FB page has contact info

Also, if you ever think you are going to want to get to L3, look at the list of Tripoli TAPs vs. NAR L3CCs in your area. In my case, I'm a NAR member but there are no L3CC's close to my normal flying field, and a L3CC needs to be at your cert flight. With Tripoli, your TAPs do not have to be at your cert flight, only a Tripoli L3 member to sign off on the flight. I am going to have to join Tripoli, get my NAR L2 recognized by Tripoli and do my L3 as a Tripoli member.

Also, if you ever think you are going to want to get to L3, look at the list of Tripoli TAPs vs. NAR L3CCs in your area. In my case, I'm a NAR member but there are no L3CC's close to my normal flying field, and a L3CC needs to be at your cert flight. With Tripoli, your TAPs do not have to be at your cert flight, only a Tripoli L3 member to sign off on the flight. I am going to have to join Tripoli, get my NAR L2 recognized by Tripoli and do my L3 as a Tripoli member.
Yup...same deal for me here in SW Ohio.

Our club welcomes all flyers, member or not. We just charge nonmembers more.

I echo the comment about taps L3CC numbers locally.

The numbers tell a different story, at least to me.

The August Model Rocketeer reported 9,347 NAR members, 4,518 of whom were HPR certified (48%).

During the 2022-2023 Contest Year, according to the NRC scoreboard, 65 people or teams flew at least some NRC competition flights.

The NAR supports all forms of sport rocketry conducted under the Safety Codes.

That's so Old School. That's was the common meme back 30+ years ago, e.g. NAR = LPR and TRA = HPR. A lot has changed since those days.

The numbers tell a different story, at least to me.

The August Model Rocketeer reported 9,347 NAR members, 4,518 of whom were HPR certified (48%).

During the 2022-2023 Contest Year, according to the NRC scoreboard, 65 people or teams flew at least some NRC competition flights.

The NAR supports all forms of sport rocketry conducted under the Safety Codes.

That's so Old School. That's was the common meme back 30+ years ago, e.g. NAR = LPR and TRA = HPR. A lot has changed since those days.
Neither of you are wrong, and maybe my memory is shoddy on this point, but I recall looking at the numbers recently and seeing that NAR had only 500-some level 3 members compared to Tripoli's 1100-some. I also hear about way more problems finding L3CC's than TAP's. There are also NAR sections whose flying fields don't allow and/or are not suited to high power, while I have never heard of a Tripoli field that couldn't fly high power. NAR competition also does not include high power, if I recall correctly.

Neither of you are wrong, and maybe my memory is shoddy on this point, but I recall looking at the numbers recently and seeing that NAR had only 500-some level 3 members compared to Tripoli's 1100-some. I also hear about way more problems finding L3CC's than TAP's. There are also NAR sections whose flying fields don't allow and/or are not suited to high power, while I have never heard of a Tripoli field that couldn't fly high power. NAR competition also does not include high power, if I recall correctly.
Well... of course TRA is going to have more Level-1, 2, 3, EX etc. because TRA's exclusive focus is HPR.

We can be misled by what we see in numbers and statistics.

It would be incorrect to assume that just because a NAR Section doesn't (more like, can't) support high power that their exclusive focus is model rocketry. My own NAR Section can't support high power at its field, but that's not because we have a desire to limit ourselves to model rocketry. Getting access to fields is difficult, and having seen what's out there I can tell you that there are more, many more, fields suitable for model rocketry than for high power. My NAR Section's members go elsewhere to fly high power. I'd say most of our members prefer mid-power and high power rocketry. I'd say that's where most adult NAR members do these days.

Bunny quoted statistics that say 48% of the NAR membership hold high power certifications. When you see that statistic quoted, it is true, but they leave it up to the recipient to draw their own conclusions. "Gee I guess half the membership flies high power..." That might not be the right conclusion to make. For instance, I am high power certified. I flew a high power rocket once, in 1997. Am I alone in being one-and-done?

I'd say that the truth is somewhere in between quoted statistics, ancedotal evidence, and old recollections. TRA recently adopted a model rocket safety code, right? Maybe there is a silver lining here... :cool:

SO, I am new to all of this. I've built a handful of Estes rockets over my 41 years of life, nothing special. YouTube is what got me interested in HPR's. I probably went the not-so-advised route of just buying a rocket and building it without mentorship, local clubs, or NRA/Tripoli membership. I just enjoy building them so I figured what do I have to lose. Did the Apogee Zephyr (waiting on paint to dry). So now as the end of the build approaches, I'm looking for where to go and launch. Both NAR and Tripoli have local representation here in the DFW area... was hoping to find someone either from each, or even better someone that is in both clubs to give me some insight in to where I'd fit in best. Would like to eventually get my L1, but still learning these bigger platforms. Considering I'll need a membership in either of the National orgs PLUS the local chapter dues, I can really only justify one, not both.

Both clubs have fields that are about the same distance from me.
You can go watch, and talk to people at either launch for free..

Go see what each is about and then figure out if you want to join either group..

Tony

Living in the Dallas area you would be close to Tripoli North Texas they cover the Dallas/Fort Worth and surrounding areas. Right now they are flying out of their field located near Seymour Tx about 2 hours West of Fort Worth. Good people, great launch site, and most times decent weather. Also they fly everything and are very helpful and friendly bunch of folks. :)

Living in the Dallas area you would be close to Tripoli North Texas they cover the Dallas/Fort Worth and surrounding areas. Right now they are flying out of their field located near Seymour Tx about 2 hours West of Fort Worth. Good people, great launch site, and most times decent weather. Also they fly everything and are very helpful and friendly bunch of folks. :)
Living in the Dallas area you would be close to Tripoli North Texas Dallas Area Rocket Society they cover the Dallas/Fort Worth and surrounding areas. Right now they are flying out of their field located near Seymour GunterTx about 2 hours West of Fort Worth 1.5 hours north of Dallas. Good people, great launch site, and most times decent weather. Also they fly everything and are very helpful and friendly bunch of folks. ;)

As others have said, try both before you decide. No wrong choices IMO. :)

p.s. County burn bans (and common sense) has us grounded for now (August 2023).

p.p.s. full disclosure, I'm the DARS VP.

Last edited:
Nope. Spacemodeling is AMA/FAI. You do not need NAR membership to do spacemodeling competition.
Fair enough. I'm not aware of a larger home of experts, readily available fields, and scheduled launches in the US. But sure, you could lone-wolf it.

As far as that goes, you don't need any membership anywhere to do any of these activities. It's a lot easier with friends, though.

Back