Chris' Punisher 4 L3 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I see. I didn't notice those chips.

I just used some Rusto2x flat white primer last Thursday and was impressed.. excellent coverage.. just like advertised.

I had used Duplicolor white primer on my 4" Fiberglass rocket and it was terrible as a color base. I'll go with 2x on my next FG kit.

I'm updating my to do list:

Airframe:
1. Install the eye bolt and ballast into the nose cone.
2. Apply color coats and decals.
3. Cut down 1.25" x 10-32 screws for altimeter bay (8x).

Electronics:
1. Solder a new antenna onto the TeleMetrum.
2. Re-install the altimeters into my original HED altimeter bay.
3. Test both altimeters for continuity on the outputs.
4. Work out preflight procedures and write a checklist.

Completed:
1. Make another tie rod for the altimeter bay.
2. Re-order all of the recovery gear except for the main parachute.

I made some more progress today.

1. Install the eye bolt and ballast into the nose cone.
2. Apply color and clear coats.
3. Solder a new antenna onto the TeleMetrum.

The only thing I got done yesterday was applying the decals. I also got an email from Gene at Fruity Chutes stating that my recovery gear is ready for pickup.

Airframe:
1. Cut down 1.25" x 10-32 screws for altimeter bay (8x).

Electronics:
1. Re-install the altimeters/switches/batteries into my original HED altimeter bay.
2. Test both altimeters for continuity on the outputs.
3. Work out preflight procedures and write a checklist.

last line of my checklist read, 'retire to a safe distance and lite the blue touch paper' :). good luck.
Rex

I picked up my recovery gear this week. I also picked up an M1315 reload today. I have everything I need to fly at this point. :flyingpig:

Just flew my Punisher on the biggest motor I've put in it (so far). Pretty surprised with the results. I flew it on a 5 grain 75mm EX motor (Albino Assault) and it went to 20,500'. This is one fun rocket! Good luck getting yours back in service.

Just flew my Punisher on the biggest motor I've put in it (so far). Pretty surprised with the results. I flew it on a 5 grain 75mm EX motor (Albino Assault) and it went to 20,500'. This is one fun rocket! Good luck getting yours back in service.

Didn't happen unless there's pictures...

Yee Haw!

I got a bunch of work done this weekend:

1. All recovery gear installed.
2. Cut down 1.25" x 10-32 screws for altimeter bay (5x).
3. Re-installed the altimeters/switches/batteries into my original HED altimeter bay.
4. Test both altimeters. Made sure the TeleMetrum would talk to the TeleBT and would achieve GPS lock.

I did spot one issue. I'll need to solder some extensions onto the ematches for the drogue compartment. The only other thing that I can think of to finish is to work out preflight procedures and write a checklist.

I got the extensions soldered onto the e-matches for the drogue compartment. I think that I've gotten all of the prep work that I can done.

Well, I was shooting for XPRS but some things have come up over the weekend. Now I'm not sure if I will make it or not. We already have plans for the next weekend so BALLS is out too.

When/Where are you attempting your next launch?

Man sry to hear that, looking forward to hearing about a sucessful launch....maybe Chris needs to just disappear for a day :).

In all seriousness - my whole family is coming with me so I would want them all there in no deal.

Keep us informed when u fly

It looks like Sunday is the big day. October Skies is this weekend at Tripoli Central California. There is a chance of rain today and Sunday though, so I'm trying to not get too wound up about the launch.

My son Jacob and I made it to the launch on Saturday around 6:45PM. We enjoyed the live band, the night rockets, and I enjoyed the free beer. Well done TCC!

On Sunday we got back to the launch at 8:30. I got the rocket prepped and on the pad with help from Tim Robinson and Nathan Montalvo. Thanks guys!

The boost was straight and the rocket turned slightly into the wind from the SW. The drogue deployed and the rocket headed NE with the wind. Jacob and I drove the .9 miles to where it landed right next to one of the farm roads. We started gathering the rocket and realized that the booster was missing. It appears that the quick release pin holding the shock cord from the booster and drogue to the camera bay popped loose. :facepalm:

I watched the video and it appears that the deployment was successful, but about 30 seconds later the pin released. The payload section fell flat at about 100 fps until the main deployed. The booster appeared to slow down without the weight of the payload pulling it down. We searched for it for awhile and came up empty handed. Once I got home I replayed the Telemetrum data on Google Earth and realized that we should have been looking farther East. I'm sure that it landed in one of the fields. Hopefully one of the farmers will find it soon.

The video came out great. Once again there was only about 90 degrees of turn through the whole flight. I'll try to get it edited and posted soon.

Just after burnout:
Punisher Onboard 0.jpg

The view from 14,000':
Punisher Onboard 1.jpg

The fateful moment when the booster cut loose:
Punisher Onboard 2.jpg

That really sucks! Fortunately you didn't lose any electronics (or your camera)!

Yep, I was pretty happy to get my altimeters, camera and main parachute back. At least I have the data to look at. I can build another booster. Losing the motor hardware hurts though.

Hopefully I can get the booster and motor back.

Damn, sorry to read this Chris. I hope you get the booster and motor back soon.

I'm looking forward to your in-flight video.
I took some GoPro video of your launch. I had the GoPro set to Narrow FOV and 60 FPS. Not the best.. but something. Here's a link:

[video=youtube;vbNiDCoYVf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbNiDCoYVf0[/video]

Last edited:
Chris,

Very sorry to hear that the booster is MIA. Looks like you got a killer on-board video though! :)

Yep, I was pretty happy to get my altimeters, camera and main parachute back. At least I have the data to look at. I can build another booster. Losing the motor hardware hurts though.

Hopefully I can get the booster and motor back.

Chris,
Really sorry to hear it wasn't totally successful. I hope to be there to see your next flight.

Back