Checkerboard Decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunny hope you don't mind if I tag something on to your request . . . Can I add stripe decals as well?

I've been looking through some '60s Estes and Centuri catalogs and noticed that checkboards, stripes, etc. decals used to be an offering from these companies. It'd be great to see if there's a source for these types of items.

Bunny hope you don't mind if I tag something on to your request . . . Can I add stripe decals as well?

I've been looking through some '60s Estes and Centuri catalogs and noticed that checkboards, stripes, etc. decals used to be an offering from these companies. It'd be great to see if there's a source for these types of items.

it's not waterslide but...
the pactra trim tape is great for striping ,is quite thin, and comes in several widths to a roll. lots of colors too
https://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?&C=QAF&V=PAC

Phred at Excelsior Rocketry made some great checkerboard decals for my Enerjet Aero-Dart clone. :D

I'll bet he can make something for you. ;)

Enerjet Aero-Dart 04.jpg

Anyone out here know a good source of checkerboard decal sheets?

Like this?

Cover.jpg

If you have a specific size (circumference and number of checkers) there is a means of creating this and forwarding a TIF, JPG, whatever file to you that can be printed out onto decal paper. photoshop will allow for making a pattern (a 2x2 series of squares) that you fill out an area with that will then allow you to make a recatangle with the appropriate fill which, n this ase, would be a wrap that is X inches tall and X inches long that exactly fulfills what you need. Then you just replicate it enough times on the smae size composition, along with some other decals, like your NAR/tripoli number, etc. so you aren't wasting the rest of the deal sheet.

alan

If you have a specific size (circumference and number of checkers) there is a means of creating this and forwarding a TIF, JPG, whatever file to you that can be printed out onto decal paper. photoshop will allow for making a pattern (a 2x2 series of squares) that you fill out an area with that will then allow you to make a recatangle with the appropriate fill which, n this ase, would be a wrap that is X inches tall and X inches long that exactly fulfills what you need. Then you just replicate it enough times on the smae size composition, along with some other decals, like your NAR/tripoli number, etc. so you aren't wasting the rest of the deal sheet.

alan

I've also used a method of cutting a piece of paper the exact wrap size I needed. I would then layout the pattern I want on the paper and scan it. Save it as a Jpeg then bring it into Photoshop and paint it.
I would always print a test on plain paper in the fast print mode and gray scale to save ink and decal paper. If the image size was off for some reason you can increase or decrease it's size by a % in the print setup.

Also, when appling decal wraps, don't pull on them. They will stretch.

Not to get too far off the main thread topic, but...

Photoshop and scanner are not the best tools for this job. A vector graphics program will make your life much easier, since they work with lines and shapes instead of pixels.

Corel Draw and Illustrator are the best known, but I use Inkscape because it is free. :) In Inkscape there is a built-in tool that will draw a checkerboard, or you may do it manually by copy+paste of a few squares (or rectangles, lines, circles, triangles, stars, octagons, etc.). Width of square = (BT diameter * pi) / # squares per row

The real beauty of working with vector graphics is that you can type in the exact dimensions that you want for any shape. And resizing the shape causes NO loss of image quality.

Okay folks I just found out my wife's been holding out on me . . . this Scrapbooking, computer, thing-a-mijiggy I bought my wife for Christmas - that cuts cardstock also cuts vinyl. I think I've found the solution to my problems.

You design a pattern on the comuter and it sends it to this machine that cuts it out automatically.

Here's the link, it's called a Klic-n-Kut Element:
Klic-N-Kut Element

Okay folks I just found out my wife's been holding out on me . . . this Scrapbooking, computer, thing-a-mijiggy I bought my wife for Christmas - that cuts cardstock also cuts vinyl. I think I've found the solution to my problems.

You design a pattern on the comuter and it sends it to this machine that cuts it out automatically.

Here's the link, it's called a Klic-n-Kut Element:
Klic-N-Kut Element

I've seen those on TV. I thought, " I wonder if you could use it for a model rocket application?"

Have you tried it?

Could you use it to cut out like paper transitions, although I just read you don't like cardstock transitions.;)

Could you use it to cut out like paper transitions, although I just read you don't like cardstock transitions.;)

Yes, you most certainly can!

If you can draw or import it, you can cut it out on cardstock, vinyl, or even thinner foam. As a matter of fact, they have a pattern for foam airplanes. Foamie Flyers

Hey, the more I think about this the better it gets. Shhhhhh, don't tell the wife.

How about checkered tissue?

A2Z has red/black Esaki tissue and orange/black Japanese tissue.

https://www.peck-polymers.com/store/

look under covering

They also have light balsa selected according to grain and weight--perfect for building contest gliders.

I was going to suggest monokote and vinyl from a sign shop, wow you guys got it covered. also check the model airplane section at local hobby shop, I got some nice yellow/black 1/4" checkerboard vinyl there.

akpilot, thanks for the klik-n-kut link, that's awesome! a sign shop in my house, wow. no more $4 a letter for U N I T E D S T A T E S

Like Tom Swift:
I've always just layed out whatever size checkerboard patten I wanted in Corel and saved it. I can then ajust the size of the squares to whatever size is needed and alter the colors for both background and squares as I choose.
Never occured to me, checkerboards were a problem.

With Most any solid color viny it's simple to lay out the squares and knife them with straight lines (#11 or #16 X-acto and a starightedge) they weed alternating squares, overlay with transfer tape and apply as a single unit (with wetting agent).
Most any of the various vinyl cutting machines can be programed to cut the checkerboard patterns of whatever size you like. If owning a vinyl cutter is not an option, most local sign companies have vinyl cutting machines and often will "Help out a hobbiest" by cutting the vinyl for the customer to weed.
Trim MonoKote is about twice the mil thickness of most quality Sign grade vinly films. but can be used if you don't mind the thick edges on our decorations.
Hope this helps a little.

The thread is getting old and lost its focus, but I'll add this info for the benefit of folks searching the archives.

For those interested in the free vector graphics program called Inkscape, there is a great tutorial web site with over 50 tutorial videos to date. The 4th one just so happens to be how to make a checkerboard background.

https://screencasters.heathenx.org/episode-004/

- Tom

Back