Carbon X, 29mm min dia rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, progress is slow but getting there...
What is your experience on the locator? Whats the range of it?
-Tom

I expect this is for me?
In the air you can here it for a long ways. On the ground it really depends on what it land in.
Water = not good:lol:
Short grass/bare ground = 50 to 60 ft or farther depending on wind speed and direction
Tall grass = 20 to 30 ft
Milo field unpicked/knee high corn = 10 to 15 ft if you are not in the same row as the rocket, 30 to 40 ft if you are in the same row.
Tall corn 10 to 20 ft no matter where you are, though if it is really quiet and you have good hearing 30 to 40 ft is possible.

Thanks Tennisace for the info. Ill try and soak up as much excess resin as possible before i lay the peel ply down.

And Sailorbill, I will be doing the mach+ flights out on a dry lake bed, would this increase the range that you could hear the beeper?

I got the 2oz plain weave CF today as well as the peel ply. Im a little concerned about the gaps in between the fiber strands Should i put down to two layers of CF on to "fill in the gaps"? Or just one layer? Would fiberglass do the trick? I speculate that the fibers will leave gaps where you can see the plywood. I'm being a little obsessive over this part of the build and I apoligize for the questions. I just want to get it right the first time. :)

Back