CAP ROCKS!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was talking to a guy the other day about rockets. He mentioned CAP. Might be worth another look.

Check with your local squadron, they always appreciate help. Especially if you have access to a good launch site...
:p

This is news to me, as a CAP AEO. Actually, in the initial revised model rocketry program guide, they showed the launch of an HP replica Delta launched by the national commander at that time. The thing with mid and high power of course is the requirements for bigger flying fields, GSE, and budgets. Some CAP units can barely make time/expense to carry out a single launch per year. Even with me providing free rocket kits, motors, and GSE--getting enough people to turn out on a Saturday morning for a launch was still a challenge.

This is news to me, as a CAP AEO. Actually, in the initial revised model rocketry program guide, they showed the launch of an HP replica Delta launched by the national commander at that time. The thing with mid and high power of course is the requirements for bigger flying fields, GSE, and budgets. Some CAP units can barely make time/expense to carry out a single launch per year. Even with me providing free rocket kits, motors, and GSE--getting enough people to turn out on a Saturday morning for a launch was still a challenge.
It's news to me as well, and I've had the same experience you have. I started teaching last May and I've yet to get a single cadet to come to any one of the 8 CMASS launches since then where we have loaner rockets and free motors for newbies, nor could I get them interested in TARC.....

To be fair however, they do have a lot of other things that they have to do.

Bob

What is the focus in your squadron? Is it aerospace, emergency services, what?

MA019 is a composite squadron with about 40 members. I don't believe we focus in any one area, but virtually all members are ICUT qualified. Many are in ES and AE. All cadets take the Model Rocketry Program.

Bob

MI-261 is a cadet squadron in the process of rebuilding. We signed on our first new cadet in about 6 months having lost 4 members last Summer when we changed meeting locations. I teach the Model Rocketry Program as a week-long course at the annual Summer Encampment. We used to do a lot of Emergency Services training until the people driving that moved away. The STEM kit we just received is RC Planes, so it doesn't look like we'll be doing much model rocketry for a while.

Last edited:
I'm a member of Alabama Wing staff (Director of Professional Development) and also a member of HARA (Huntsville Area Rocketry Association). As far as I can tell from reading the new two levels, cadets get their 'pocket rocket' and 'Estes patch' when they complete the first three phases of the rocketry program. The new levels are icing on the cake.

We've had a HPR guy who wanted to come up and launch some big birds for our CAP course. What stopped him was the presence of significant water hazards, plus we likely could not spare the effort to recover one should it go into the swamp.

That's very interesting. I was the AE officer for our squadron in Orange, Ca. In addition to the model rocketry program, we built a group project using an M motor. The cadets were introduced to fiberglass, epoxy, and power tools. I was amazed how many of them had never really built anything. I also helped 2 other units with a large, M-powered project.
About 8-10 years ago, we had a rocketry weekend at Camp Pendleton Marine Base just south of here. We had two groups of cadets, those that were building rockets for the first time, and for those that had already got the badge, we built the Aerotech Airspike rocket, (basically a Mustang, but no decals, etc). Those we launched on F20's.
The recent group of cadets never seemed to be THAT interested in rocketry, so after 20 years in the organization, I decided to hang it up.

Phil L.

Latest posts

Back