Canceled Waivers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgholloway

Reaction score
I've received e-mail messages from the three clubs in the Northeast Ohio area indicating that all waivers and NOTAMS have been canceled until further notice. From other e-mails it appears that, at least in the Northwest region of the country, it's "business as usual". I'm curious as to what club's have had their waiver's canceled?

Ken Holloway

There is supposed to be a monthly launch at Whitakers, NC this weekend 9/22-23. The prefects are trying to find out the status of the waiver. The launch will go ahead even without the waiver with the limitation of engines of G and below. We hope to find out the status of the waiver by Wednesday evening. As soon as I receive information on the status I will post it here.

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. Please note that the word here in Ohio is that even NOTAMS are not being accepted. From what I've seen posted online it appears that the FAA is shutting down all recreational use of American airspace. This includes model rocketry along with aircraft using Visual Flight Rules (VFR) such as hot air ballons, private aircraft, and ultra-lights. The only General Aviation flights being permitted are those under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) where the pilot has to submit a flight plan and place himself under Air Traffic Control supervison. This seems to me to be a case of "overkill" but I guess the politicians and bureaucrats have to at least look like they are doing something.

Ken Holloway :confused:

Well, this last weekend our NAR club held our monthly launch and LMR's were called in with no problems or questions from Warren County or the FAA at Greater Cincinnati International Airport.

However, it appears our luck is short lived. Whitakers, NC prefects have had their waiver canceled, so the launch for this weekend has also been canceled. To make it more official, Tripoli now has it posted on their website that the FAA is indeed not allowing any use of recreational airspace, to include rocketry and many launches are being canceled.

The good news for me is I have 6 days off that were scheduled for the Whitakers trip, so I can now have fun building and sleeping in for once.:p

I am sure this will take it's economic toll on our hobby shops and vendors, so I encourage everyone to continue your projects or start new ones so we can still have good vendors available when the smoke clears.

Carl

Hay Guy's and Gals... don't let the lost wavers get you down and out. you can fly a lot with out any noteification at all.... all the way up to some H motors.. as long as your rocket weighs less then 1 lb. and a lot of poeple have had great luck getting FAR 101's cleared.. which allows you to fly up to 3 lb rockets... So don't just wait for wavers to be availble... find a good field to fly in, call you local tower and set up a FAR101 and put some birds in the air..
I went out last weekend and I am looking to go again this weekend.

Just to add my 2 cents in... I called Alan Whitmore (Tripoli East Prefect) to see if they were going to reschedule the 2 day event at Whitakers because I had about 40 Cub Scouts that were planning to go. Here is what I found out:

1) Whitakers is definitely CANCELLED. Based on recent circumstances and FAA current workload. Very understandable.

2) Again based on FAA current workload, there are no plans to reschedule the 2 day event. If that changes, we will post it here.

So, my Cubs will have to launch the rockets locally. And I am bummed. :(

Back