Call out 3d Designers: Comspec tacker casing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Many of us have the old Comspec tracker with the rectangular tracker housing. They will start to dwindle.

Anyone have the skills to design a replacement casing or housing?

Do you need the older AT style tracker casing (rectangular), I have a few extra Chuck, as I only have 1 transmitter now.

I have enough now. I am just trying to spur interest. Eventually, we will all be out.

My slave JOB is mechanical designer by day, so i could model the case up and get you the files you need. I do not own a Comm Spec device, so someone would have to send me the case to model. I am currently using SolidWorks 2018 software.

Fair enough, if there are any questions we can open a line of communication. I will post all step & stl files back to you in a PM for posting as you will.

My son designed one. It is a little larger and had thicker sides.

I printed it in silver ABS.

IMG_0828.jpeg

Baby those trackers as they give you the best range at 50mW. I gave my older "non-licensed" one to a friend and have one on the Ham band with my callsign burned in. Perfectly legal but perhaps C-S felt the market was too small to support the continuation or an essential part went out of production. Kurt

Com Spec is still making these trackers- just in a smaller form factor. Unfortunately when they made it smaller, they also made it more fragile in design.

Com Spec is still making these trackers- just in a smaller form factor. Unfortunately when they made it smaller, they also made it more fragile in design.

Com Spec is no longer making the AT-2B, which transmits at 95 milliwats in the 222-225 Mhz Amatuer radio band. The newer "button" style transmitter comes in three versions, RC-SP transmitts 1 milliwatt, the RC-MP transmitts 5 milliwatts, and the RC-HP transmitts 30 milliwatts. I use the RC-HP for most of my HPR sport rockets.
The button version has a longer, less durable antenna that can be purchased separately, I keep a few extras in my range box.
I still have a few functional AT-2B's , and use them for the big rockets that land miles away.

I'd be happy to design a case for the newest button style. I would need to borrow one for a few weeks. The person who loans it to me gets 2 free cases mailed back to them with their transmitter.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

The original post was about the AT-2B (rectangular) casing, which is easily broken. The button case is pretty bullet proof, it's the antenna that is it's weak point. Looks like Chucks son has designed a replacement for the AT-2B case.

AT-2B is what I had my son design. I need to be able to replace them as I destroy them.

I have an offer for a button transmitter to work with...Thanks. I'm hoping to make a case that goes over it that can reinforce the antenna and provide some ready mounting options.

Com Spec is no longer making the AT-2B, which transmits at 95 milliwats in the 222-225 Mhz Amatuer radio band. The newer "button" style transmitter comes in three versions, RC-SP transmitts 1 milliwatt, the RC-MP transmitts 5 milliwatts, and the RC-HP transmitts 30 milliwatts. I use the RC-HP for most of my HPR sport rockets.
The button version has a longer, less durable antenna that can be purchased separately, I keep a few extras in my range box.
I still have a few functional AT-2B's , and use them for the big rockets that land miles away.

Ummm, It was 50mW and that's what got the federal cookie commission on their case.

Ooops, I stand corrected there was a 95mW tracker but technically it was for law enforcement. The stuff we generally got was 50mW.
https://www.com-spec.com/law_enforcement/manual/PT-2B_LPRS_Trans_Manual.pdf Kurt

My operating manual might be a bit older:
AT-2B.jpg

My operating manual might be a bit older:
AT-2B.jpg

I miss the AT-2B. I still have a couple cases but sadly my transmitter was destroyed. The new ones don't have the range.

I think the only recourse is get the Tech license and will have access to more hardware and knowledge. (Or go with GPS on the 33cm band. It works pretty well. Kurt

Latest posts

Back