The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am rebuilding my Genesis rocket to re-attempt my L.1 cert. I want to try to add a tracker to start getting familiar with the tech. I saw that the transmitter was 6.5 inches by itself, but one of the changes I'm making to the design is going with a 6 inch coupler instead of a 9 inch. I know very little about gps tracking and how the transmitters and antennas work and I was wondering if I could bend or cut the transmitter for it to fit or if it has to be unchanged. If this is the case, does anyone have any alternative trackers that will fit? Or should I just not worry about it for right now?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-03 195524.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-03 195524.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
Can you put he GPS tracker in the nose cone instead of the av-bay?
I could...
However, I wasn't planning on making the inside of the nose cone accessible, and I would like to keep all my electronics together. On my original design, I went with a 9 inch coupler, but I've switched to a 6 inch to try and resolve some issues with my previous attempt.

I'm just stubborn🤷‍♂️

The antenna should stay the same length and should be kept straight. It can poke through a tiny hole (seal it with putty, etc) into another compartment. I guess I’d suggest the main parachute compartment as that usually stays attached to the eBay and will protect the antenna from damage. You need to avoid radio opaque materials, carbon fibers may block radio.

May I ask why your original L1 failed? If it was because you got distracted and forgot a step then you may want to concentrate on basics for a re-try. And/or write, and actually use, a written checklist, of course.

On your cert flights, I recommend you keep it simple and avoid unnecessary steps that might complicate the flight. Level 1 flights do not need a tracker, and adding one will complicate your build and preflight prep.

I just measured my MissleWorks T3 GPS tracker. It is 4.75" long, including the wire antenna.

It's very easy to use, just keep the batteries in the transmitter and receiver charged and link the receiver to your Android phone. I use the Rocket Locator app on the phone.

You sound similar to me when I did my L1. I wanted to learn as much about all the aspects of HPR as possible so I scratch built my rocket from thick wall mailing tubes, made my own epoxy coated foam nose cone, rolled my own av-bay tube. The only thing I bought and used as is was the 38mm MMT. I certed on the first Loki snap ring motor I ever used and learned more building and flying that rocket than any before or since.

Good Luck with the L1

Last edited:
An Eggfinder Mini is about 3 5/8" long (90 mm) including the antenna. You'll have to account for a battery, however... that's going to be true with any GPS tracker.

The antenna should stay the same length and should be kept straight. It can poke through a tiny hole (seal it with putty, etc) into another compartment. I guess I’d suggest the main parachute compartment as that usually stays attached to the eBay and will protect the antenna from damage. You need to avoid radio opaque materials, carbon fibers may block radio.

May I ask why your original L1 failed? If it was because you got distracted and forgot a step then you may want to concentrate on basics for a re-try. And/or write, and actually use, a written checklist, of course.
My first cert attempt failed because the parachutes didn't come out...
I was using an easymini for dual deploy that worked fine during testing, and both charges fired during the flight. I'm thinking that I mushroomed the coupler by tightening the nuts too much

On your cert flights, I recommend you keep it simple and avoid unnecessary steps that might complicate the flight. Level 1 flights do not need a tracker, and adding one will complicate your build and preflight prep.
I get it. And to a certain degree, that's what I'm doing. I really want to get to the Point where I'm doing my own computers, and add tvc to my rockets. But the reason I'm pushing for stuff like this is because I don't want to build "just another rocket". In my mind, what happened on my first flight would have happened regardless. I just like pushing my limits and not settling

Back