BSDHPR Website

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I take it you never seen a Thor-X, the only thing it had in common was the decal style.
You just never know about 3FN rockets , but Decals can make a big differance."

Thor-X, Darkstar.... = Binder Design Cobra (now velociraptor)

And thanks for taking the time to personally attack me, Don - don't really understand your motivation, but thanks.

Oh boy, We just entered the Twightzone , got my boots on now.
No more drama, feel like I watching the LifeTime channel.

This might be a good place to ask this question I have always wondered about................. Is it legal for someone to clone one of the BSD kits for their own use since they can't be purchased any longer?

...Fudd

So what do you think? Should I completely start over? Should I attempt to revive BSD, or at least some of the more popular designs? Should I just forget it and fly my own stuff, and enjoy myself? That's been working pretty well for the last couple of years, while NOTHING happens with BSD.....

Scott Binder

Hey Scott, make me an offer for Binder Design, you never know. I'm want to pursue another business opportunity and don't have time for both. You'd be the only one I'd trust with being able to take it on with no extra support needed from my end.

You know...... No one in HPR rocketry really has the money to pour into lawyers they'll never, ever get back.

Take moral claim of the designs, and produce them.... You'll get empty threat CnD's. Ignore them. Have fun, and fly.

You know...... No one in HPR rocketry really has the money to pour into lawyers they'll never, ever get back.

Take moral claim of the designs, and produce them.... You'll get empty threat CnD's. Ignore them. Have fun, and fly.

Scott is not the type of person to do that.

This might be a good place to ask this question I have always wondered about................. Is it legal for someone to clone one of the BSD kits for their own use since they can't be purchased any longer?

...Fudd

Of course it's legal to clone a design/kit for your own use... I bet if you search around, you may find Roc-Sim files.:surprised:

Last edited:

...Fudd

Ummmm, that is a very elementary question. Make one for yourself and no one is likely going to notice. Could always say you found someone with NOS (new old stock) Clone a bunch of kits and call it the same name and you might raise some eyebrows.

This comment by Dave, "You know...... No one in HPR rocketry really has the money to pour into lawyers they'll never, ever get back. " Is ever so true. There is a Talon and an Eagle Claw kit. If it's not protected then it's fair game. Even if it is protected, there has to be a lot of money involved in order to incentivize the owner to hire the legal guns to go after someone. Enough said. Kurt

If there was money in cloning hobby rocketry stuff, there'd be tons of it for 5 cents on the dollar on eBay. There's not. Let's acknowledge the efforts of those who have made producing this stuff a labor of love, and if we want something that's no longer available maybe we can persuade them to kit a few more on a limited basis, for enough of a profit that it's worth their time.

Hey Scott, make me an offer for Binder Design, you never know. I'm want to pursue another business opportunity and don't have time for both. You'd be the only one I'd trust with being able to take it on with no extra support needed from my end.

You are not getting away that easily. I still want to do my 6" Galaxy.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of this company, but I see a common thread in the hobby rocket industry where someone sells a company despite not having delivered products to customers, or perhaps not honoring the agreement by failing to completely pay for it.

These sorts of issues with respect to business sales and bulk personal property transfers are handled under the Uniform Commercial Code. One of the remedies is a court process to place a lien against a business that doesn't pay its debts. Anyone who purchases a business would be wise to have a search done for outstanding liens, or else they may be buying a business that is encumbered with debt. That search process is done all the time with legitimate business sales and I'm always astonished when I see someone who buys a business for which liens may be placed against it. I'd hate to be the guy down the pipeline who bought a business that hadn't been paid for yet. Again, I not at all familiar with this company or the people involved, but sorting this out legally is pretty easy under existing laws.

I saw the same thing with Sherry's Hot Rockets where the parties involved thought that a sale of the business gets them out from under the debts or the obligation to fulfill orders. No it doesn't.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of this company, but I see a common thread in the hobby rocket industry where someone sells a company despite not having delivered products to customers, or perhaps not honoring the agreement by failing to completely pay for it.

These sorts of issues with respect to business sales and bulk personal property transfers are handled under the Uniform Commercial Code. One of the remedies is a court process to place a lien against a business that doesn't pay its debts. Anyone who purchases a business would be wise to have a search done for outstanding liens, or else they may be buying a business that is encumbered with debt. That search process is done all the time with legitimate business sales and I'm always astonished when I see someone who buys a business for which liens may be placed against it. I'd hate to be the guy down the pipeline who bought a business that hadn't been paid for yet. Again, I not at all familiar with this company or the people involved, but sorting this out legally is pretty easy under existing laws.

I saw the same thing with Sherry's Hot Rockets where the parties involved thought that a sale of the business gets them out from under the debts or the obligation to fulfill orders. No it doesn't.

What he said...Fortunately and slightly off topic, I have never had the experience of not receiving something I paid for from a rocketry vender...However there have been several occasions, where I have leaned on a vender to get them moving in the right direction...I know at least one of those venders complained to the dealer I was doing business with--my response was tough s&^t...I will get what I pay for, or a refund, one way or another...Can you say, small claims court or get a lien for the actual cost and legal fees...Make an offer they can't refuse...:wink:

Last edited:
Scott - Love both companies; Binder Design and BSD (when it was in operation). I say leave the heartache behind and start a new company... I'll just toss out a random name (pulled from thin air) "Scott Binder Rocketry" Heck, I'd buy an SBR kit, you only need design it. I hear BlueTube2.0 is nice to work with etc. Does not matter... Starting fresh will take a little more, but at least there are no strings or trip wires like trying to re-start a company that has a little karma attached to it... who needs that(?)

Leave the past in the past, and bring your new ideas to the flying fields...

Scott - Love both companies; Binder Design and BSD (when it was in operation). I say leave the heartache behind and start a new company... I'll just toss out a random name (pulled from thin air) "Scott Binder Rocketry" Heck, I'd buy an SBR kit, you only need design it. I hear BlueTube2.0 is nice to work with etc. Does not matter... Starting fresh will take a little more, but at least there are no strings or trip wires like trying to re-start a company that has a little karma attached to it... who needs that(?)

Leave the past in the past, and bring your new ideas to the flying fields...

I think we're thinking alike! Thanks!

I would buy also. Maybe it is a good time to turn to the community to help develop designs.

Back