Brisk CMASS launch this past weekend

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
October is here! It was a cool, breezy day in Amesbury, MA for our first of two October launches. We had a light turnout (about 50) and almost 200 flights. It was a good day but you needed to be prepared for it :)

I got my photo album up for those who would be interested in what we do at CMASS. You can get to it by clicking this link.

I will be missing the next launch as I will be attending Red Glare at the end of the month. I should be around for the two November launches though!

I was camped right next to jflis, I brought a few jet rockets, pranged one of them.(F-18) I got some pics of some flights, mostly my rockets. I downloaded the pics. Fourth pic is my A-7 Corsair II Jet Rocket of my own design. It flew well considering the wind. I like the Jet Rocket theme.

rocket launch 10-02-10 010.jpg

rocket launch 10-02-10 011.jpg

rocket launch 10-02-10 012.jpg

rocket launch 10-02-10 015.jpg

Last edited:
Fun day.
I wish I could take photos like Capt'n. Jim... Rocket photography is another art form all to it's self.

dsc09636.jpg

That's my Sa-2f Guideline Mod5 working prototype/ test-bed. Several changes needed.

Then theres a bunch of photos of me lugging around the HotRod Nitro Fireball to it's final flight....
:( Sniffel...
We will miss you proud warrior, you served us well.

At least the Core of the rocket (Borris's rocket) will live to fly another day!

Hope to get to the next Cmass launch also....

This was my first launch in several years and it was a bit daunting to restart in the stiff breezes. (I am not a BAR. I am more of a BABAR or BABABAR.) I did launch two of my old favorites: Estes V2 and NCR Viking II. I especially like the Viking (2xC6-0 strapon boosters and a D12-5 sustainer) since it lifts off nice and slow. Here's a shot of it on the pad with Jim Flis in the backgound (standing in the middle). Unfortunately the shock cord screw pulled out of the old NCR foamy-type cone at deployment. Everything was recovered and I can either repair the cone-shock cord connection or maybe replace the cone with a plastic or balsa equivalent. In any event, it will fly again!

VikingII.jpg

Here is what I flew :)

Estes Patriot with a Quest B6-4
Flis Flea with an Estes A8-3
Estes Der Red Max with a Quest C6-5
Estes Astrocam with an Estes C6-5 (sep and lost)
First Flight Semi-Sonic With an Estes A8-3
First Flight Mega-Sonic with an AT D9-9W (was a 7 drilled to a 4)
Aerotech Sumo with an KBA G82-6W.
LOC I-Roc with a CTI H87-7 I-Max (29-3G)
Ladyrobin 2.0 with an AMW I325 White Wolf

Photos can be found here:
https://www.gardei.com/Oct22010/

This was my first launch in several years and it was a bit daunting to restart in the stiff breezes. (I am not a BAR. I am more of a BABAR or BABABAR.) I did launch two of my old favorites: Estes V2 and NCR Viking II. I especially like the Viking (2xC6-0 strapon boosters and a D12-5 sustainer) since it lifts off nice and slow. Here's a shot of it on the pad with Jim Flis in the backgound (standing in the middle). Unfortunately the shock cord screw pulled out of the old NCR foamy-type cone at deployment. Everything was recovered and I can either repair the cone-shock cord connection or maybe replace the cone with a plastic or balsa equivalent. In any event, it will fly again!

Yep, we were trouble shooting the launch setup to Boris' spinning saucer (6-7 misfires before we were able to get her up...)

This looks an awful lot like a work detail you'd find working on a city road. You've got one guy doing the work, one guy telling the first guy how to do the work and three guys making sure that the first two guys don't get into over-time pay. The only difference is that instead of orange reflective vests, we have plaid shirts. :eyepop:

VikingII.jpg

This looks an awful lot like a work detail you'd find working on a city road. You've got one guy doing the work, one guy telling the first guy how to do the work and three guys making sure that the first two guys don't get into over-time pay. The only difference is that instead of orange reflective vests, we have plaid shirts. :eyepop:

I was hoping nobody would notice that... I had the same thought looking at that picture... LOL

Sounds like I missed a good time. I will be there on the 23rd though.

I will be flying:

Shadowlord on a D12-5
LOC Viper IV on 4 E9-6s
Escape Velocity on a Pro-X H152 Blue Streak

Back