Borky got a WEDGIE and is going to work it out (build)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerorKid

Reaction score
The thread about cwbullet's Squaty introduced me to Odd'l rockets. I really like the odd rockets and am looking forward to some fliskits and Odd'l kits. I so needed a Wedgie and one showed up from Jon Rocket yesterday.

The NewWay Square in the air is so much fun that I felt I need to keep messing with these odd rockets that can be launched near my house. The stranger the better. Already lost two rockets with C6-5 engines on top of the school and have found a new launch area, but still want to go play a few blocks away while enjoying my weekends. Smaller, odder, and funner the better. A squaty, cyclone, and corkscrew are calling me hard.

bradycros's Wedgie build made me drool so hard I have no choice but to do my own and sorta copy his paint.

The Wedgie is a level 3 so I felt it would be no issue at all.

IMAG3044 by beerorkid, on Flickr

The kit was packaged well and the instruction BOOK had some updates tucked in it. I unpacked it all and read the manual over. I think it might be missing the glue stick that becomes the shock cord mount, but the spare balsa is more than enough to build it fine. I had a few WTF moments and checked out bradycros's for more insight. Now I had a couple beers, so maybe I was thinking slow... but it all made sense after a bit. This is one unique and fun rocket for sure. I am trudging forward confidant.

I am not really sure about how build threads work here. I had a few that were very well received, but sorta want to just post how I built a rocket in one post to not clog up the forum with a drawn out process. For this build I want to share along the way.

IMAG3045 by beerorkid, on Flickr

This was the first bit. Gluing the plug into the smaller top triangle motor housing.

One quick mod I plan: I think I am going to go kevlar instead of the supplied shock cord. It is not stretchy and I wonder if that might be a bad move. Suggestions welcome.

Will post more in a bit.

Hee ... hee ... it's not every day I get to give some a Wedgie.

And, it's not every day that you see some who is happy to have received a Wedgie!

-- Roger

Thanks again Roger.

IMAG3039 by beerorkid, on Flickr

I promise to make you proud and have a fricking blast doing it.

IMAG3049 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3050 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Skipped the kevlar and am going stock build. I cut the rings with kitchen shears and it was easy. Triangles got two coats of glue to protect from eject gas.

Using wood glue since I have no white.

Does CA stick to wax or parchment paper? This would be very important to know actually. Might do a few tests to find out.

UPDATE: seem wax and parchment are immune to CA. This is good.

IMAG3051 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Last edited:
That stick is actually limewood, very strong and flexible, it's used later on in the construction. Balsa isn't as strong for this application.
Send me your address to [email protected] and I'll send you one. It should have been in there! I triple check all the parts before sealing up the bags.
Build it as directed with the elastic shock cord. Kevlar would cut through the attachment points.
Have fun with the build, this tetrahedron flys much higher than a standard squattier pyramid.
Like mentioned in the instructions - use only the Estes B6-2 and C6-3 engines. Quest engines have their place but not in a higher drag rocket.

That stick is actually limewood, very strong and flexible, it's used later on in the construction. Balsa isn't as strong for this application.
Send me your address to [email protected] and I'll send you one. It should have been in there! I triple check all the parts before sealing up the bags.
Build it as directed with the elastic shock cord. Kevlar would cut through the attachment points. .

No worries. I have a piece of scrap I can use. I might have it in the box I dumped the kit into. I did stick with the elastic.

Last edited:
Nice to see your making progress. What's your reason for rounding off so much of the top point?

Nice to see your making progress. What's your reason for rounding off so much of the top point?

I thought from looking at yours that was what to do. Looking at the pics again I might of gone too far with it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon!....Really?

Heh

I was actually a brewmaster at a local brewpub for 7 years after being obsessed with home brewing before turning 21. I have quite the assortment of fine brews in the fridge and a keg of local stout in the arcade. My super awesome neighbor is a PBR guy and he comes over every Friday eve to play, he brought over a case of PBR last time and I am making my way through it. Every now and then an American lager just is refreshing. I actually made sure to get the PBR in the shot though.

He is the head ref of the local roller derby here in town and has parties with derby friends. My arcade is always open for folks and I have had a bunch of derby folks over a couple times. They leave beers at his place and he will bring over bags of diff beers for me to ingest.

IMAG2122 by beerorkid, on Flickr

When it comes down to it I am a functioning alcoholic and as long as it is wet I will quaff it ;)

PRO TIP: if you want to make your own adult beverages on the cheap, pick up some apple cider or grape juice without sulfates and pour a bit out. Grab some dry brewers yeast from the local home brew shop and sprinkle a bit in the juice container. Lightly screw the cap on so the CO2 can escape and in 5-7 days the yeast will settle and you will have hard cider / wine. I would grab tons of that **** and put it into a corny keg after first fermentation, carbonate it, and drink on the cheap often back in the day.

Last edited:
I'd rather drink sanding sealer than drink a pbr.

Pretty much any American light lager is pert near the same flavor profile and the same beer style. If it is tasteless like bud, coors, miller, pabst, old mil... there is so little difference in flavor profile it is laughable. American light lager is a beer that was made for women to increase the market. If it is made with rice or corn you are getting the shaft on the cheap. If you think one of those beers is better in any significant way you are a tool of marketing (there are some truly cost cutting crap beers in that profile though). There are many great American lagers made from only barley.

I am currently drinking a Mike's hard lemonade. No F's given at all.

Last edited:
Right now I'm on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, typing this on my phone with my right hand and a Corona in my left hand.

Right now I'm on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, typing this on my phone with my right hand and a Corona in my left hand.

A nice corn based beer. Nothing wrong with that.

Cheers and enjoy what I assume is a nice well deserved vacation.

* tink *

I hope I did not come off as combative above. I am a beer snob, but enjoy wet intoxicants in most forms and try not to look down on others bev choices.

Last edited:
Pretty much any American light lager is pert near the same flavor profile and the same beer style. If it is tasteless like bud, coors, miller, pabst, old mil... there is so little difference in flavor profile it is laughable. American light lager is a beer that was made for women to increase the market. If it is made with rice or corn you are getting the shaft on the cheap. If you think one of those beers is better in any significant way you are a tool of marketing (there are some truly cost cutting crap beers in that profile though). There are many great American lagers made from only barley.

I am currently drinking a Mike's hard lemonade. No F's given at all.

Didn't know that.

Are you sure about that women part?

It is sort of a bold and condescending statement that I made, but holds some truth.

https://kierenmccarthy.com/2009/05/05/the-reason-american-beer-is-so-bad/

Before great beer was able to make its inevitable way back into people’s lives, America went through the Second World War and then, crucially, entered the great modern era of advertising. The best example was Miller Lite – which was originally a diet beer aimed at women. The ads – with the still-used tagline “Great Taste…Less Filling!” – were hugely successful and showed working men enjoying Miller. It became one of the first lifestyle approaches to advertising. And, in the way that the greatest ads flip reality, it sold a dreadful tasteless liquid as possessing a “great taste”. Miller Lite and Bud Lite continue to be advertised with unbelievable logic-altering force to this day.

It is easy to see the ultra lite and miller 64 type beers are also aimed at those who are watching their caloric intake. Brewers are sneaky about aiming their advertising at certain types of folks. Take Bud Platinum. They market for folks who enjoy high alcohol beers like malt liquor.

Getting women to drink more beer

"Michelob Ultra is one way to get women back into drinking beer. 'Ooo, this will make you less fat!' I don't know about the truth in that, but it worked. A lot of women went back to drinking domestic beer because of Mich Ultra. That's a segue beer, and when they start to get bored with Ultra, we can move them into other beers from there. People move from light to heavy, sweet to dry, less expensive to more expensive. That's how our lives work, our bodies work, our pocketbooks work.

Being in the craft brewing biz for a while I sorta saw the big brewers as the enemy and found their use of adjunct grains offensive, but I try to be a bit more open minded. The big brewers have done so much to help the brewing industry as a whole. I have no problem enjoying a Bud and go through a 12 of high life about once a week.

I'd rather drink sanding sealer than drink a pbr.

:point: :rofl:

I wasn't going to say that.....but I wanted to.

I spent 2 1/2 years in Germany, after drinknig the finest beer's in the world, the only American beer I can tolerate is Michelob Amberbach.

:point: :rofl:

I wasn't going to say that.....but I wanted to.

I spent 2 1/2 years in Germany, after drinknig the finest beer's in the world, the only American beer I can tolerate is Michelob Amberbach.

Finest beer in the world?? They make a good LAGER, but Beer??? Nah!! You need to travel a short hop. Burtonwood Ale, Boddingtons, Bass, Newcastle Brown, Edinburgh 70 shilling and 90 shilling.... now they are good beers..

Real nice wedgie BTW... been looking at getting one myself.

A nice corn based beer. Nothing wrong with that.

Cheers and enjoy what I assume is a nice well deserved vacation.

* tink *

I hope I did not come off as combative above. I am a beer snob, but enjoy wet intoxicants in most forms and try not to look down on others bev choices.

No not at all. I don't know much about beer but I know what I like. Tomorrow I have to return to the real world. Until then . . . :cheers:

Beer break is over. Please do more building on the wedgie!

south_park_tweek_tweak-3862.jpg

ACKKKK

so much pressure

I hope to get to it sometime this weekend, but we have a visit from Lowes for a siding quote and I was hoping to get out on a major afternoon of launching including the wife's Big Daddy maiden and only launch. On Sunday my bro and nephew are swinging by to play in the arcade and do some rocket stuff. He is almost done with his Der Red Max.

I was planning on taking a pic of me in a smoking jacket with a fine glass of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and maybe a cigar just to something something you guys, but I have no smoking jacket, nor do I smoke, and well it was just too good and I just enjoyed the fine ale with a smile.

Happy launching you all.

I should not have read this...now I`m thirsty...and it`s only 6:50 AM on a Sunday morning !

When it comes to beer ,I have never been a sheep to marketing tools ,because I enjoy good beer not swill ( D & E ) :cheers:

When in the US ,I do enjoy a nice cold Rolling Rock ,only because it cannot be found here in Canada ,everything else can be had at our beer stores or liquor stores.

Domestic urine colored liquids remain on the shelf ,except for Moosehead Cracked Canoe ,Sleeman(honey brown and Ale) and several others.

A - swill : to drink greedily
B - swill : a deep draft of liquor
C - swill : rubbish , nonsense
D - swill : kitchen wastes ,garbage
E - swill : pig feed

Oh yah.....what was i going to say... ??????

......rocket`s looking good so far :wink:

Cheers

Paul T

IMAG0161 by beerorkid, on Flickr

I picked up a dremel bit, but while just cutting into the pateren I saw that I could just knife it. Used a round file to finish.

IMAG0162 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Black primer to coat the white I sanded down

IMAG0163 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG0164 by beerorkid, on Flickr

A couple runs on the plum paint. Will sand down and recoat. After that I will apply the sparkly film and be done.

Thanks so much Roger for this. I got to show it off to many folks this weekend and my nephew was completely floored about it and wants one of his own.

Hey Beerorkid -
I like the plum finish!
Good work!

Roger Smith (RocketReviews.com, jonrocket.com) has brought back WedgieWorld!
https://www.jonrocket.com/wedgie/

All the original Odd'l Rocket printable skins are there along with custom body prints from Roger.

Just remember -
use only Estes B6-2 and C6-3 engines in the Wedgie!
(The Quest C6-3 engines are good in minimum and smaller diameter rockets but not the best in an odd-roc!)

Looking forward to the flight report!

IMAG0194 by beerorkid, on Flickr

We make a lot of hummus. Not a diet thing, we just like good dip.

Got the nose weight in good and coated the inside with glue for ejection blast protection. I just love holding the thing. Got to show it off to 5 diff people this last weekend and pulled out the bits to show them how it works. Ooooooooohs and Awwwwwws all around. Nobody believed me that it would fly, but I will show them.

IMAG0195 by beerorkid, on Flickr

I should of left it as is, but had some runs and sanded it down for some more plum paint. Grabbed the wrong can and primed it :( It let me sand it down some more and plum gloss again. I am really trying to get a perfect pic like bradycros did. The reflections off gloss paint is darn cool. This is an homage for sure. I look forward to cool flights as well.

Low wind and 9 mph winds on sat.

Last edited:

IMAG0204 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG0205 by beerorkid, on Flickr

That is a sliver of OAK yo

IMAG0206 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG0209 by beerorkid, on Flickr

It takes a bit of looking to see where the top point is in that pic

Might as well future coat it.

All assembled and ready to go besides the sparkle film. I want to try the uber blocks, but will see what happens. I hope to shoot her Sat.

I have loved every step of this Odd'l rocket build and cannot wait to film it flying and get some other Qdd'l kits. Roger of JonRocket FTW

Last edited:

IMAG3181 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3174 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Wedgie Bill... Bullet Wedgie..?

Ready to punch through some clouds and hope there is not a hidden 1-UP box in the air

I sorta gave up on doing a copy of Bradycros's design. I wanted to make the pattern look like a full on 3D chess / checkerboard, but got frustrated and gave up. Ordered some Bullet Bill decals and I sorta like it. I could of done better, but am still proud of how it looks.

It was a darn fun kit to build and I hope to launch it this Sat. 40 degrees F and 10 MPH winds. Will get vids of the launches for sure.

I only have one C6-3, but over 30 C6-5 engines. Can I pretty please try a C6-5 or would I be pushing it? I can always go pick up some more C6-3 engines from a local store.

Thanks again Roger.

Last edited:
I sorta gave up on doing a copy of Bradycros's design. I wanted to make the pattern look like a full on 3D chess / checkerboard, but got frustrated and gave up. Ordered some Bullet Bill decals and I sorta like it. I could of done better, but am still proud of how it looks.

Nice try! Good effort.

wedgie 108.jpg

wedgie 109.jpg

wedgie 107.jpg

Last edited:

IMAG3181 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3174 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Wedgie Bill... Bullet Wedgie..?

Ready to punch through some clouds and hope there is not a hidden 1-UP box in the air

It was a darn fun kit to build and I hope to launch it this Sat. 40 degrees F and 10 MPH winds. Will get vids of the launches for sure.

I only have one C6-3, but over 30 C6-5 engines. Can I pretty please try a C6-5 or would I be pushing it? I can always go pick up some more C6-3 engines from a local store.

Thanks again Roger.

Use C6-3! (Not a Quest, but an Estes C6-3.)
Be ready, it'll get much more altitude than other "blunt" pyramids!

It looks great - Have fun!

Back