Gap Staged Red Nova Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Shepherd

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I hope at least a few people will find this interesting or even useful. I photograph my builds (which go very slowly) mostly so I can remember what I did and why, along with a bit of commentary on each, and stuff it all into Flickr.

So, here is a build of a gap-staged Estes Red Nova. with a 24mm booster, 18mm sustainer and streamer recovery. It hasn't flown yet: here in Seattle, there are too many soccer players, cows and fire hazards to make flying easy during the summer and fall. In a month or two that'll change. Comments, questions, constructive criticisms welcome!

https://flickr.com/photos/45382703@N00/sets/72177720306130940
-- Joel.

I hope at least a few people will find this interesting or even useful. I photograph my builds (which go very slowly) mostly so I can remember what I did and why, along with a bit of commentary on each, and stuff it all into Flickr.

So, here is a build of a gap-staged Estes Red Nova. with a 24mm booster, 18mm sustainer and streamer recovery. It hasn't flown yet: here in Seattle, there are too many soccer players, cows and fire hazards to make flying easy during the summer and fall. In a month or two that'll change. Comments, questions, constructive criticisms welcome!

https://flickr.com/photos/45382703@N00/sets/72177720306130940
-- Joel.
Have you done a sim of only the lower stage? A big problem with these conversions is that the lower stage or booster can be stable after staging. This is a bad thing as it will impact the ground front-end first, probably at a considerable velocity.

Have you done a sim of only the lower stage? A big problem with these conversions is that the lower stage or booster can be stable after staging. This is a bad thing as it will impact the ground front-end first, probably at a considerable velocity.

No, or at least not until just now: thanks for the question. It looks like, with an empty D12 casing in the booster, the CG and Rocksim-calculated CP for the booster are within 1/4" of each other, so it looks like when the booster is descending its stability will be minimal.

No, or at least not until just now: thanks for the question. It looks like, with an empty D12 casing in the booster, the CG and Rocksim-calculated CP for the booster are within 1/4" of each other, so it looks like when the booster is descending its stability will be minimal.

If you set up the file as just the booster, maybe put a flat, zero-mass "nose cone" on the front and export the detailed sim results, you may be able to see OR predict the unstable booster tumbling prior to apogee. That would make me comfortable.

I built my Red Nova as a two-stage, and have flown it multiple times on D12-0/C6-7. Flies great. It looks like it should have always been a two-stage rocket!

Latest posts

Back