Blackhawk 29 Crash - Raven Data Included

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar situation when I first used the same adapter in my BH29. Shot right through the airframe, since there is no thrust ring!

Solution:

Cut adapter in half. Ya also get 2 this way.LOL

Peel the slick foil cover off & CA the exposed cardboard. Sand it smooth.
Use one of the thrust rings that came with single use AT motors. Peel a layer from the inside, so it will fit over the LOC adapter. Ca it on.
In lieu of this use 1/4 masking tape & make a thrust ring.

Slide motor in & and several wraps of tape around the front. No way it can kick out from ejection charge now. [You cut adapter in 1/2 so you can do this with the AT 24/40 cases. They are too short to tape them in a full length version]

Insert motor/adapter assembly. Get you some REAL aluminum duct tape, cut a small piece to wrap around rear airframe and thrust ring.
It ain't going anywhere!

I use this tape on all my minimum diam. stuff.
Simply put.....it works.

100_9944.jpg

100_9943.jpg

100_9945.jpg

100_9947.jpg

100_9948.jpg

Looking at the adapter (shiny silver tube!) I'm trying to figure out where its thrust ring is, or was? Doesn't show any signs of anything having been bonded to it?

-Kevin

Looking at the adapter (shiny silver tube!) I'm trying to figure out where its thrust ring is, or was? Doesn't show any signs of anything having been bonded to it?

-Kevin

I believe that was the exact issue.

Last edited:

-Kevin

If you are talking about my pics, the thrust ring is black on the end. I just showed a loose red one for the how to.

Mine is already made. You can also see it butted up to rear of airframe when installed.

If you are talking about his..... yuppp... there ain't one!

If you are talking about my pics, the thrust ring is black on the end. I just showed a loose red one for the how to.

Not worried about you -- if you don't know to use a thrust ring by now, we've got bigger problems...

If you are talking about his..... yuppp... there ain't one!

Okay, kinda what I was thinking....and more importantly, we now know the cause of the issue.

-Kevin

Don't throw too much math at the situation. If a rocket airframe isn't properly vented, the sections can separate due to internal airframe pressure, especially during high-accelleration launch. It isn't really drag separation, but it behaves a lot like drag separation.

--Lance.

That wouldn't happen this early in the flight though. The internal airframe pressure is really not significant until several thousand feet up.

and more importantly, we now know the cause of the issue.

-Kevin

You are correct. In my haste, I forgot that aspect of the build. The old adage is correct, haste really does make waste. I almost didn't fly the Blackhawk because my family was tired and wanted to go home. All I had to do was read Adrian's instructions on wiring the Raven to the av-bay that I bought from him, install the e-match, pack the parachute, roll the streamer, load the motor and fly it.... Unfortunately, I forgot the thrust ring.

Oops! I'll NEVER do that again! :eek::D

Latest posts

Back