• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Black Powder 4F

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner

Reaction score
For local pickup only in North County San Diego California, I have two 1lb cans of 4f black powder. Selling for what I paid for them (including hazmat shipping) for $34 each.

1677270773566.png

Last edited:
Yes sorry for the confusion, Scott interpreted correctly. I bought several cans online and paid the hazmat, now I'm just parting with the extra cans.

PM's have been replied to.

Is having to pay hazmat a big amount these days? (Haven't ordered any grains lately.) Just asking as I got 5lbs. many years ago and store it in a cool dry place. Have enough left to last me till I die due to the smaller rockets I launch. I don't want to sell it as I will use it for rocket ejection charges. Might go to a bigger rocket in the future. I had some friends that needed 35 grams each for a large project they were doing for apogee and main deployment. I think that's a lot.
Sometimes if I can't get a prepped rocket off, I'll let it sit for awhile in the basement and eventually detonate the charges to dispose of them. One or 1.7 grams mind you. (Not big rockets and I disconnect them from the altimeter(s) when I get home if not flown right away.)
Shoot I popped one of the 1.7 grams charges with a low voltage launch panel out in the open at home on the driveway and it blew like an M80 or M100. I scarfed up all my electronics off the driveway, closed the garage door and scurried inside. Never did that again and gave me a healthy respect for 4F BP. My neighbors are old and I think hard of hearing to my benefit. Thank God I didn't have 4F access as a kid as I had a thing for fireworks which were illegal in my state. My mom was cool with it though back then. When she was a kid, when they were legal, grandpa taught here how to light them off safely. She taught me how to do it when I was like 8 years old. Am 66 now. I had some experience before I started dealing with charges and didn't have any close calls due to it. Kurt
Now if I want to get rid of an old unused charge, I take a post hole digger, dig a hole, bury it deep and discharge it. Pull it up and maybe recycle the lead wires if they look good. No noise to bother anyone. Kurt

Aerotech just posted that hazmat went up from $44 to $48, so, yeah...significant when compared to any individual bottle of BP.

Aerotech just posted that hazmat went up from $44 to $48, so, yeah...significant when compared to any individual bottle of BP.
Thanks, Glad I got it when I did. I think it's a B.S. charge as I've talked to Post Office folks and delivery folks. They say all packages are in a temperature controlled environment.
Yeah, I see the online vids of packages being thrown around but when is the last time rocket motors or BP started a fire in a delivery truck?
Sure, if there's a catastrophic car accident but I think the drivers work pretty safely. Just a method to make more money if you ask me. How much does it cost to slap a sticker on a package to be careful with it? A label is miniscule in cost to slap on a box and the end user gets raped for extra charges for nothing.
Sure a shipper may charge extra for safe packaging. I don't have a problem with that but I think "hazmat" for rocket motors is a bunch of B.S. used to make extra money for the carriers.
Like I said, slap a label on the package so it doesn't get shipped by air if there are paranoids out there. Otherwise it's a waste in my book. Kurt (Shields Up)

Graf is $36.45 for up to 40 pounds. That is the total shipping charge.

Odds are the OP bought 4 or 5 cans at once, and has split the hazmat fee to get a per can cost and thats what he is selling them for, doesn't sound like the OP is making any profit, just selling at cost.

Ahhhh, It is stated in the first post, "local pickup only". I missed that. Hazmat doesn't apply here as direct transfer is involved. Local laws might be a sticking point but let's not go there.
I'm embarrassed that I and others missed the local pickup thing but jumped in discussing hazmat issues. It can be tough on rocketry purveyors to comply with the demands. I mean folks who have a rocketry propellant related business and not a person who wants to sell some excess "stuff" and has to face some tough financial hurdles to ship propellant or BP for that matter.
Local launch, onsite sales avoid this but then depends upon if rocketry purveyors live nearby. Probably the best thing a private flier can do to sell commercial loads "and other stuff" they discover they don't need anymore is show up a few times at a launchsite with a sign or advertise on a rocketry website and hope for buyers. Check the C-card and good to go. Kurt

Note to self, less is more...

Both cans have been sold, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back