Biggest scratch build yet - Bluto

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 6 grain case won't fit! That means to fly a 4 grain motor, I'd have to buy a 4 grain case.

OK, I pretend I have a clue what I'm talking about... Couldn't you pack the recovery gear in the space around the motor tube? Looks like you have a good bit of room there even with a 6g motor...

OK, I pretend I have a clue what I'm talking about... Couldn't you pack the recovery gear in the space around the motor tube? Looks like you have a good bit of room there even with a 6g motor...

I'd have to move the av-bay u-bolt off to the side to clear the motor case.

You might be able to pack recovery gear around motor casing. Dont know whether it would ever damage exposed casing----Murphy's Law.
A possible option, you can get a section of tubing 40" in length. That's what I did, after looking at possible 6 and 6xl motors I might stuff in it.
Even with that , I only have about 3.5 to 4 inches from U-bolt & charge canisters in aft end of Av-bay to forward CR.

Check stability, then stick the motor out the back with a section of 54mm tube.

This was the cheap and dirty way of getting a Loki 76-8000 in my Competitor 5.

image-1735034694.jpg

A possible option, you can get a section of tubing 40" in length. That's what I did, after looking at possible 6 and 6xl motors I might stuff in it.

Who sells longer lengths of 7.51" cardboard airframes?

Top Gear UK

BBC America: Top Gear

Top Gear USA

Basically it's a program that originated in the UK, is viewable here in the US via BBC America and on Youtube. There is an American version as well but with different characters and shot here in the US.

My favorite episode is the Toyota pick-up that wouldn't die. It still makes me giggle when I think about what they did to the poor beast and still couldn't kill it.

Top Gear UK

BBC America: Top Gear

Top Gear USA

Basically it's a program that originated in the UK, is viewable here in the US via BBC America and on Youtube. There is an American version as well but with different characters and shot here in the US.

My favorite episode is the Toyota pick-up that wouldn't die. It still makes me giggle when I think about what they did to the poor beast and still couldn't kill it.

The American version absolutely SUCKS. They copied the format of the UK show, which they can since it's the same production company. But the American presenters have the collective appeal of watching paint dry (at least to me). I much prefer the British humor. My favorite Jeremy Clarkson line: (spoken to a pretty girl in the audience) "You can't be American, you're nowhere near fat enough!"

One thought - with outboards - more is always better - because you can use some of the tubes for electronics if you want. Imagine a pod that you slide in with a PET timer and battery (38mm let's say) and wire directly to the motors - no muss no fuss. Arming switch can even be embedded on the end of the pod if it's a screw switch.

Also think of the outboard 29's as "smoke generators" if you want. It makes tracking easier... yeah that's the reason!

Okay... I'll bite... what is top gear (other than 5th or 6th)???

Sorry, I tried to quote with the picture but it didn't show up. In post 110 the tv is on and Top Gear is playing in the back ground.

End thread jack, back to Bluto building!

Sorry, I tried to quote with the picture but it didn't show up. In post 110 the tv is on and Top Gear is playing in the back ground.

Yep, I love the show, although I'm no "petrol head" by any stretch of the imagination. I don't even like cars, I prefer mini vans and SUV's. You can't pack very many rockets in a Veyron! But I like the humor and I'm fascinated by all things mechanical.

My idea was, to use lengths of 1" PVC pipe to align and set the placement on the centering rings. I was going to put 3/16" rods through the tee-nut holes I had already drilled in the rings to hold the pipes in place. But the rods fit too tightly in the holes, and a 13/64" bit is too big. I need to find a #12 drill bit.

139_pvc.jpg

140_pvc.jpg

141_rods.jpg

142_pvc.jpg

I know a lot of people hate Harbor Freight, but I like them. Not just because they're cheap, but because they have stuff. Neither Home Depot, nor Lowe's, nor Sears had numbered drill bits. I got this set from HF for $16 with the coupon I had. I know they wouldn't last under hard use, but then I'm not a machinist.

drill_bits.jpg

Good thing I got the drill bit set, because I ended up using the #11 bit, instead of the #12.

Talk about fiddly bits! I swore a bit getting everything in place, but I think it might actually work. I'll be using 30 minute epoxy for the extra setting time.

143_rods.jpg

144_rods.jpg

146_square.jpg

148_spacers.jpg

Attachments

• 141_rods.jpg
    141_rods.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 22
I know a lot of people hate Harbor Freight, but I like them. Not just because they're cheap, but because they have stuff. Neither Home Depot, nor Lowe's, nor Sears had numbered drill bits. I got this set from HF for $16 with the coupon I had. I know they wouldn't last under hard use, but then I'm not a machinist.
I use MSC Direct. They probably have 10 different quality levels of #1 to #50 (or #60) sets at 10 different prices :) https://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerc...e=Category-_-BodyLink-_-Drilling+&+Drill+Bits for all drills :)

I used some wood shims, and got the jig to sit fairly close to level. I'll have to fix it better once I figure out how to do it. I attached the piece of 3/8" plywood to the jig with a #8 sheetrock screw, and cut the circle. It worked great! Sure am glad I put that new blade on the bandsaw. I drilled out the center hole to 1/4" to mount it on the lathe.

This week on the New Yankee Workshop reruns on the website, Norm builds some jigs, including and upgraded circle cutting jig. He uses a piece of hardwood in the miter slot to align it. He screws his into the table, but you could simply make it the same size as the table and clamp it down to the outer edges. A clamping strip underneath would be what I'd do.

He starts the circle jig at about 15:12.

https://www.newyankee.com/index.php?id=56#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=7916606

This week on the New Yankee Workshop reruns on the website, Norm builds some jigs, including and upgraded circle cutting jig. He uses a piece of hardwood in the miter slot to align it. He screws his into the table, but you could simply make it the same size as the table and clamp it down to the outer edges. A clamping strip underneath would be what I'd do.

He starts the circle jig at about 15:12.

https://www.newyankee.com/index.php?id=56#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=7916606

Norm is a woodworking god.

Good thing I got the drill bit set, because I ended up using the #11 bit, instead of the #12.

Talk about fiddly bits! I swore a bit getting everything in place, but I think it might actually work. I'll be using 30 minute epoxy for the extra setting time.

Good lord man ,I`m getting dizzy looking at those pictures !!

Sure looks cool Jim !

Oh ,and for once ,this build of yours is taking longer than a week LOL

Makes me feel better about mine !

Paul T

Back