Biggest noob ever - JST connector question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timster68

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How do I remove the plug from the JST connector for the connection to the battery? It's getting to the point where I am going to pull the wires out of it.
I apologize if I am using the wrong terminology.

They generally look something like this, perhaps get some small pliers and grasp them at the base of the connector.

JST-connector-cable.jpeg

I hate JSTs.
At some point, the wires or the wires and metal jacks pull out. Or worse, one of the jacks partially pulls out - unnoticed - then results in power loss during flight.
I've switched all my electronics over to XT connectors. The wires are soldered to the connectors.
But, to answer your question, I find grasping and squeezing the short side of the male connector while pulling the two pieces apart seems to help.

They generally look something like this, perhaps get some small pliers and grasp them at the base of the connector.

View attachment 598691
Do not just pull, that bends the retaining tab.
The proper way is to push in the locking tab. Seen on the connector on the right in above photo, silver things on connect top in photo. Then gently pull on the wire to slide the contact out of the housing.

I push on the tabs with the tip of an X-acto knife while pulling on the wire.

There are many JST connectors. It is just a brand. The ones pictured above are the RCY series. As others have said, carefully pulling on the housings with pointy pliers works well. Try not to pull on the cables themselves or you will likely come to regret it.

For the small white style of JST, typically either EH (2.5mm pitch) or XH (2.54mm pitch), again just use some pointy pliers to extricate the plug from the header.

Indeed.. the ones I normally encounter don't have any locking tabs.

It's not rocket science...

Back