Better late than never...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandog

Reaction score
Well Folks here is my X-mas project...that i forgot to take build shots of and didn't launch till the 30th of December. (all the other December launches in San Diego were rained out or blown out)
Any who, here is a brief description of the contraption or should I say cone-traption.

The trunk is made from 38mm motor tube graciously donated by Andy Woerner of Whatsup Hobbies and Polecat Aerospace and the tears are made from green poster board (gotta love the dollar tree) with Diversified Materials two part expanding foam brushed on for texture and stiffness. The cone patterns were designed and printed out with help from "Conelayout"'s free 21day trial!!! the "nose cone" is made from a star tree topper and a piece of craft styrofoam wrapped in masking tape.(again, love that Dollartree) the cones were then painted with two shades of green spray paint and attached to the "trunk" with expanding foam in a can then decorated with little package ornaments and red pompoms(purchased guess where).the shock cord was attached by drilling a hole the same diameter of the cord, passing it through the hole inside to out, tying a bigole’ knot in the cord and when the upper part of the tree was attached the knot was covered by the foam. Well, then the thing was built and I had one of those oh, F@#$ moments as I realized there was no launch lug on this thing. So, some quick goat thinking and off to home depot! 4ft 3/8" diameter steel rod and a piece of aluminum tubing...my god he has a plan. Took the Dremel to the tip of the rod cutting it off at a bevel, I am now the proud owner of the crudest 4' long drill bit ever! put her in the chuck an guided as the wife slowly inched it through now to get the aluminum tube through the newly formed hole, this took a bit of persuasion but I finally got'er dunn. That was stupid...plan ahead folks that task would have been allot easer if it had been done before the cones were attached. Well any who, this is probably already too long to keep anyone’s attention but that’s what happens when you cram an entire build thread into one post, so I’ll just shut up and show you the pic’s that all you people want anyway.

P.S. Thanks Todd(PunkRocketScience) for the launch pics As in the excitement of actually getting to launch after nearly 2 months I forgot to bring a camera.

P.P.S. My wife says I have to tell everyone this was her idea and she helped with the build too.

Liftoffcropped.jpg

upupandawaycropped.jpg

OpenOpenOpenfull.jpg

uh.jpg

andshesticksthelandingfull.jpg

I'm beginning to think that some version of OH @*^! i just about the most popular phrase/occurance among scratch builders- including me! :D

Nice model!

AX'E

Very nice, Sandog. I had one question - it isn't clear from your photos,
did the parachute deploy ok?

Jeff

Very nice, Sandog. I had one question - it isn't clear from your photos,
did the parachute deploy ok?

Jeff
Yes,
It opened just in time to spin it around and softly land it upright. It was a close one though. I think next time the delay needs to be about 1 sec instead of 3. Just to prevent heart attack.

“If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment”

Back