Best rocket parachute folding method?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
I would like to hear some different rocketeers methods of folding chutes. I always use the Carlisle method, which Is pictured in the handbook of model rocketry, but I would like to see other's methods. Maybe some specific "best for" methods. (Best for opening quickly, slowly, best for competition, high power, low power, tight spaces, nylon, plastic, Mylar, etc.)

There is no such thing as "BEST". Everyone has their own opinion as to what works for them. I use D bags and just stuff the chute in starting from the top of the chute. I learned this method from a Bruce Lee video years ago.

I mostly fly LPR with plastic chutes, typically BT-55 and BT-60 size.

When I started long ago I had some literature that showed the parachute folded and shroud lines wrapped around it so I copied that as carefully as I could. When the rocket hit the ground the parachute looked exactly like it did when I put it in the tube, still tightly rolled up, so I learned to never do that again.

These days I grab the center of the parachute and pull it tight with the shroud lines. I fold the shroud lines over the chute and fold the chute in half so it's still long and pointed but the shroud lines are inside it. I squeeze that so it is long and thin, now fold it over so it is half as long, and slide it in the tube. With all of this folding and squeezing I only do it enough to get in the tube, keep it as loose as possible.

I have mostly good luck but an occasional tangle. I have more problems with tangles of long shock cords than I have with parachutes.

I have thought about what happens during ejection. My chutes are connected right at the nose cone so the nose cone and chute come out first, the shock cord below that, so I pack the rocket in reverse order of this. This has helped reduce tangles with the shock cord.

I mostly fly LPR with plastic chutes, typically BT-55 and BT-60 size.

When I started long ago I had some literature that showed the parachute folded and shroud lines wrapped around it so I copied that as carefully as I could. When the rocket hit the ground the parachute looked exactly like it did when I put it in the tube, still tightly rolled up, so I learned to never do that again.

These days I grab the center of the parachute and pull it tight with the shroud lines. I fold the shroud lines over the chute and fold the chute in half so it's still long and pointed but the shroud lines are inside it. I squeeze that so it is long and thin, now fold it over so it is half as long, and slide it in the tube. With all of this folding and squeezing I only do it enough to get in the tube, keep it as loose as possible.

I have mostly good luck but an occasional tangle. I have more problems with tangles of long shock cords than I have with parachutes.

I have thought about what happens during ejection. My chutes are connected right at the nose cone so the nose cone and chute come out first, the shock cord below that, so I pack the rocket in reverse order of this. This has helped reduce tangles with the shock cord.
Are you using swivlels?

In their natural state, Estes Parachutes prefer being wadded into a tangled up ball and melting...

I avoid the plastic chutes like Estes uses.... I've found that, with them, how you store them is equally as important as how you fold them. Keep them as flat as possible in storage and don't pack them into the rocket until you're at the launch site and are ready to launch the rocket.​

Thin mil nylon for the win...

In their natural state, Estes Parachutes prefer being wadded into a tangled up ball and melting...

I avoid the plastic chutes like Estes uses.... I've found that, with them, how you store them is equally as important as how you fold them. Keep them as flat as possible in storage and don't pack them into the rocket until you're at the launch site and are ready to launch the rocket.​

Thin mil nylon for the win...
Amen! Flat plastic "parasheets" don't open well when cold, either.

My dear beloved has helped me with six (count'em) 1.1 mil nylon semi-elliptical canopies. We just tested one in flight and it was beautiful. They are <ahem> "fun" to sew up, at least to join the last seam, as they literally form an ellipsoidal dome and will not lay flat as the mylar chute shown above - well, they will when you fold them, close enough. So I can probably use his method.

Nylon parachutes (most commercially available ones, at least) aren't great options for smaller rockets, such as the BT-20 variety. This is due to the thickness of their shroud lines. I use space blankets (mylar) and thin thread (Coats and Clark type of stuff) to make my parachutes in my BT-20 rockets. They enjoy a high level of reliability.

Nylon parachutes (most commercially available ones, at least) aren't great options for smaller rockets, such as the BT-20 variety. This is due to the thickness of their shroud lines. I use space blankets (mylar) and thin thread (Coats and Clark type of stuff) to make my parachutes in my BT-20 rockets. They enjoy a high level of reliability.

Streamers work well in those itty bitty rockets.

That’s a bunch simpler than the method Terrill Willard used in the NARCON video I linked above. I like it.

Does this work OK with HDPE ‘chutes as well?

Gettin’ ready for NARAM-64….

I believe that what TW demonstrated was a simplification of the full on Russian style folding technique that I mentioned in the folding lesson on the field. My technique is a simplification of that. YMMV but for competition you want to get as close as possible to 100% repeatable, reliable parachute opening- especially in FAI competition because they don't have the self penalizing rule (in NAR comp if something comes out of the tube, even a wad you get qualified) if the canopy doesn't open, you get a big fat 0.

For reference, here is that Russian folding technique: https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/S3-Parachute-Folding-Techniques.pdf

kj

For my 36" semi-elliptical nylon parachute, I flake the canopy, then S-fold the shroud lines, securing the ends with orthodontic elastics. The canopy is then Z-folded with shroud lines in between folds.

IMG_0652.jpg IMG_0653.jpg IMG_0654.jpg

Then I roll it, keeping the quick link exposed, then roll that bundle in the parachute protector.

IMG_0655.jpg IMG_0657.jpg IMG_0659.jpg

Finally, the shock cord is S-folded alongside the bundle. Bundle is secured with a rubber band to keep it closed while folding the shock cord, then removed prior to inserting the bundle in the body tube.

IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0661.jpg IMG_0662.jpg

BTW, a lightweight ironing board makes a great packing table.

This is all great stuff. I've always had a hard time folding parachutes. I may try that russian version and see how it goes. I really try to steer away from plastic parachuted now that my rockets are getting more complex. With plastic chutes, you get seams where you fold it, and they're so light that air has a hard time breaking the fold and opening it up. That, and the shroud lines tear out WAY to easily

This is all great stuff. I've always had a hard time folding parachutes. I may try that russian version and see how it goes. I really try to steer away from plastic parachuted now that my rockets are getting more complex. With plastic chutes, you get seams where you fold it, and they're so light that air has a hard time breaking the fold and opening it up. That, and the shroud lines tear out WAY to easily
There are ways to reinforce the plastic where the shroud lines attach.

Yeah. The one I always used were the little ring stickers. They worked well for a bit, but would still tear out after just a few launches
I use thin strips of duck tape. I use strips maybe 3" long and less than 1/4" wide for LPR. Half of the strip goes on the top side of the chute, it goes by the shroud line and aims to the side of the center of the chute. The other half folds under the chute aimed the other direction so they form a V with the shroud line at the bottom point of the V. For the shroud line to tear out it would have to cut through the strip of duck tape, or it would have to pull the whole strip of tape out of the parachute which tears a lot more parachute than the reinforcing disk. When I cut the strips of tape I cut them lengthwise from a bigger piece of duct tape, not across it. That way I can get strips as long as I want and the strips will be stronger. I think the fabric in the tape is stronger along the length of the tape than it is across the tape.

I "Z " fold my chutes and put the shroud lines between a fold. Haven't tried it with plastic chutes, just nylon. The "Z" fold was recommended by a parachute packer.
Thats how I fold mine. I’ve never had a parachute that didn’t deploy…If my rocket went above 100 ft.

D-bag... this is a Standard Rocketman 120" parachute in a Fruity Chutes 4" dia x 9" long D-bag. Easily slides in the tube, but fits "almost" like a piston.

Attachments

• 20230728_144608.jpg
    20230728_144608.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230728_144735.jpg
    20230728_144735.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back