Best laid plans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bit of a collection of kits that I have to store. Most are in my basement in totes or on shelves. But some are too big for most totes and are not in boxes making it difficult to put on a shelf. Plus for kits with cardboard tubes, I prefer to store upright to avoid ovaling of the tubes.

Now, our basement does occasionally get some minor water in, so I didn't want them sitting on the floor. My solution? I got a plastic garbage can to put them in. Yes - a way to keep them nice and dry and safe.

Tonight I wanted to locate a kit from one of my totes. As I was trying to get the tote I noticed a reflection from the can. What?? Go and check. Appears a small pipe drip put water in the can - like 8" worth!

All kits ruined. The following are lost

LOC 4" V2
LOC 3" Cyclotron
Madcow Seawolf
Madcow Bomark

And the one that hurts the most.....
Cosmodrome Vostok

The first 4 list for $570. I don't recall what I paid for the Vostok, but since it is OOP it would be worth a pretty penny

Not a good night......

May not be worth your time and expense, but cardboard tubes can be replaced, and wood fins can be fiberglassed and cured under weight. Nose cones are often the most expensive part of a large kit - especially cardboard kits like LOC's - and those should be fine I'd think.

Latest posts

Back