Best 9V batteries???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctus

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been hashed....rehashed...etc....

What are people using for 9V batteries? Are there some 9V's better than others? Where do you get them??? Rechargables??? Procells???? Soldered vs. stamped???

So far, regular alkaline. Duracell or Energizer. I've been thinking about getting some of the nice Ni-MH 9.6V units from Thomas Distributing, but I haven't done it yet.

I may be stating what is common knowledge, but it seems to me that you would look for a 9V with the highest mAh number, if that information is stated on the battery. The higher that number, the longer the battery will last. At least that is the way it is with R/C 7.2v batteries.

The 9.6v NiMH sounds nice.

As far as non-rechargeable batteries. The most affordable batteries are Alkaline and heavy duty. The alkaline's have a higher mah rating than regular heavy duty batteries. So for devices that draw a lot of current I would use alkaline batteries. Most alkaline batteries are pretty much the same. So the 9 volt alkaline at the dollar store is going to be pretty close in mah to the $3.99 one at radio shack.

There are some special application 9v Alkalines for cameras and other electronic devices with fancy names but for the price I don't think they are worth it.

Heavy duty 9 volt batteries are not really made for high current draw. If you put a good load on them they will go dead very quickly. If you only need to power something for a short amount of time this batteries could work for you.

As for rechargables...
I would not use nicads. They do not take a charge or last as long as nickel metal hydride batteries.

Nickel metal hydride batteries are really great batteries because they can have much more capacity than alkaline and can handle high current loads like alkaline's. Except they can be expensive and you always need to have at least 2 for any given device. 1 in the device and 1 on charge . Also the charger is always plugged in using a few watts 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Lithium Ion rechargeables are the newest batts but to expensive for normal applications.

I pretty much just use the dollar store alkalines for all my stuff. They never need to be charged. Don't have to worry if the charger is working correctly and the price is right.

This subject came up in the past around here, and I just glanced back through the links and saved info I kept on the subject.

Without doing a new search since I did that one, the "consensus" at the time was that a Sanyo N-6PT NiCd 7.2V (9V style) battery was a superior choice because of its low internal impedance and its ability to dump 20 amps at a whack. It is/was specifically recommended by PerfectFlite, and I exchanged emails with Ozark Aerospace to check its compatibility with my ARTS2 flight computer (and it is said to be fine by them.) I haven't bought any (yet) for ground testing with my unit, but I will be shortly.

https://www.batteryprice.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=331

Without doing a new search since I did that one, the "consensus" at the time was that a Sanyo N-6PT NiCd 7.2V (9V style) battery was a superior choice because of its low internal impedance and its ability to dump 20 amps at a whack.
Is there an updated version of this battery from Sanyo? NiMh, Lithium Ion, etc.
NiCd batteries tend to have memories and don't perform well after repeated chargings.

Jim

This is a good application for Nicads, if you want to dump a lot of current into a load, and know when you want to do it. Just put charging up the Nicads on the "to do" list for the launch.

Nicads have a poor reputation from misuse and abuse. Nicads don't like to be charged up constantly, just in case there might be a need for them, without any hard discharges to break up crystals that form internally. Running a bank of cells down until they are dead means that unless they are precisely matched, some will be reverse charged--this is really bad. They often suffer abuse from cheap chargers, though this can be minimized by timed charges just before use.

Precisely matched Nicads can last an amazingly long time, as proven by some of the Amateur Radio Satellites.

Sanyo N-6PT NiCd 7.2V (9V style) battery was a superior choice because of its low internal impedance and its ability to dump 20 amps at a whack. It is/was specifically recommended by PerfectFlite, and

I am looking for a good battery to use with my Perfectflite timer as well. I really did not want to use a 9 volt because of the weight and because of the need to anchor it from flying around inside the rocket.

So if 9 volt is the way to go. Is there a place online ( looked some already not much success ) to compare battery voltage and amperage for this type of application. I dont think I want to use a rechargeable either.

What about anchoring these beasties in place? What do you do to keep them from moving ? Epoxy them in place ? :D

Jim

Back