Beginnings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was walking around a walmart one day, and I happened to see an Estes moon mutt. I was heavily into Rc airplanes at the time but I wanted to try something new. My first launch of the moot mutt was unforgettable, the engine hissed loudly, and then the parachute opened, it was a great experience, and I decided then that this is what I want to do.

I began this hobby with my son in the 80's. After some years off I have returned with my grandsons although I'm much more into it this time since I'm retired and have the time.

In late September of 1968 I had just started the 7th grade. I was nuts about the space program. Some will say I'm nuts anyway, but a buddy of mine who was just as into the space program as I was told me one day about these little rockets that used "gunpowder engines". He said that he'd heard that they were available at a nearby hobby shop. We made plans to go there the following Saturday. We hit Lloyd's Hobby Shop on York Road in Towson, MD, and I came away with an Astron Scout kit, a blue tube of 1/2A6-2 motors, a 1/8" X 36" peice of piano wire, a 1968 Estes catalog, and a round tin of Jetex wick. The whole load cost me $2.00. Hey, thats big money for a 12-year old back in those days! My buddy Steve bought the same kit and motors. I built the Scout with plastic model glue [hey, we were told to use "model cement"!], and on Oct. 14, Columbus Day, we flew our accidently identical Scouts. Been hooked ever since. :cool:

Last edited:
First, a comment to luke…that particular basselope, Rosebud, is/was the last of her kind. IIRC, she had an affair with Hodge Podge (the jack rabbit) and had a whole bunch of jackabasselope babies. I believe she was also used as a control system for a space weapon of some kind. Yeah…big fan of Bloom County here.

Interesting... Just so WRONG on so many levels, but interesting... :D Jackabasselopes... I know a few of those... LOL:) (leave out the "b")

I never have been able to find the original cartoon again, the one from the anthology book with the sidebars showing the "mission modes". Never knew the dog's name either... may have to do more research... LOL:)

As to my beginnings, I call myself a BAR, but really only had limited model rocketry exposure as a youth. My older brothers had some model rockets and they would occasionally let me watch them launch. But their interest was pretty short lived. In middle school shop class, one of our projects was to build two rockets, of the same basic design, one “light weight” and the other “heavy weight”. We rolled our own paper tubes, cut the fins, everything from scratch, but to a specific design. If we finished those two early, we were allowed to build an “experimental” rocket, also from scratch.

Fast forward to adulthood and on the occasion that my wife and daughters would drag me to Hobby Lobby, I would eventually meander over to the science kits/models section to kill some time while they were looking at yarn or whatever it was they were looking at. I had pondered the model rockets for a few visits, but didn’t ever buy one, then one day I had, in my hand, one of the starter kits reading the packaging to see what all was included when my oldest daughter came down the isle, saw what I was looking at, and said “Cool” or something very similar. My other daughter came by shortly after, and I asked her if she thought model rockets would be fun and she whole heartedly agreed. That was all the encouragement I needed.

So over a mere 5 months or so we have been attending club launches, joined a club, joined the NAR, I/we have built 12 rockets (including two boost gliders and a Qubit), and rebuilt two of those. They Range from E2Xs up to Level 3 and from mini engines up to Es…is that a normal progression over that period of time? Maybe it’s a good thing we’re heading into winter.

Building with the kids is GREAT fun... My 6 year old daughter and I work together as well... sometimes... :)

Take it you have an interest in geology, Mr.GneissGuy??

Later! OL JR :)

Back