Balsa free rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPayne

Reaction score
I am new to making model rockets.
I am unable to get hold of any balsa wood for the fins or the nose cone. Would it be fine to make a paper nose cone and simply paste the shock chord in its inside, omitting the 'screw eye in balsa coupling' part?
Are cardboard fins a fine choice? I could use thin plywood but that would become too heavy for a small rocket.

Hi,

You can find balsa for fins here :

https://www.rocketarium.com/balsa.html

Cardboard may work, for very small rockets. Thin plywood may work, depending on the size of the rocket.

You mention "a small rocket", but that means different things to different people :) Roughly what size rocket will you be building?

Rocketeers have been making rockets with "around the house" materials since the hobby began :)

I invite you to check out some of the paper rockets that we have for free downloads. This will give you an idea of different ways to form cones, tubes and fins, though there are also many other ways (which I am sure you will hear about shortly :) )

Check out the:

CAUTION! Rocket Launch in Progress!

and the:

Midnight Express

as two interesting (and low cost) ways of building a model rocket out of card stock and other simple materials.

Another idea for "fins" is to use tubes. An example of such a fin can be seen on our Long OverDue kit (no balsa other than the nose cone...)

Lastly, if you want to purchase fin stock we have a full selection here.

Good luck and have fun!

jim

I am attempting to build my first model rocket, and will use a homemade candy motor(coreburner or maybe bates, 2-3 grams propellant).

jfils, I really liked your cradstock plans. They look good for a first timer.

It is absolutely possible to build rockets without any balsa or high-tech materials.

I have developed an excellent technique for nose cones using re-cycled styrofoam covered by paper mache. Although they require some time to manufacture, they are every bit as strong and light as anything commercially available.

Fins can be made from cardstock, corrugated cardboard, or the foam from the tops of egg cartons or the trays used to package raw meat from the supermarket. None come close to the strength/weight ratio of balsa, but hey, you can't expect too much from free! Styrofoam covered with monokote (or something similar) could be a viable alternative to balsa, and that is on my list of things to experiment with.

The primary issue when using these alternative fin techniques is damage from landings. You must design/place the fins such that the rocket always lands on the motor mount/body tube.

That is, unless you use rear ejection. I have had excellent results upscaling the Estes Mosquito using cardboard fins and rear ejection. This also allows for the use of large motors that actually protrude into the nose cone.

Yet another option is to build using replaceable fins. Basically, use a TTW mount with two plates to form a slot. You may find that a simple friction fit is sufficient to hold the fins in place, but a pin or two will insure that you don't lose a fin on launch.

I am attempting to build my first model rocket, and will use a homemade candy motor(coreburner or maybe bates, 2-3 grams propellant).

jfils, I really liked your cradstock plans. They look good for a first timer.

May I make a suggestion?

DO NOT use a candy motor. Use a certified NAR model rocket motor.

Get some experience. You get it with building, launching, and recovery.

Join a club so you can fly with them. Join NAR and/or TRA.

Join up with someone in with one of the national organizations who flies research motors (i.e., non-commercial), then you can think about candy motor propulsion.

:2:

Greg

I agree with Greg. If you live near a Hobby Lobby Or Micheal's Crafts you can buy a 3 pack of motors for a few bucks with a 40% off coupon . If you showed up at a JMRC launch I would give you some balsa a nose cone and A pack of motors. Just to get you involved in our hobby. I am sure a club near you would do the same. Rocketry people are some of the nicest people you will meet.

There are several reasons for using commercially available motors as opposed to rocket candy:

* Commercial motors are engineered to work the same way every time. In other words, one A8-3 is going to work pretty much like any other A8-3. Rocket candy, on the other hand is pretty hit or miss and has a lot of variables that affect performance (such as mixture, density and packing).

* Commercial motors have a delay and ejection charge. Adding a delay and ejection charge to a rocket candy motor is a lot more difficult than just making the motor.

* Making rocket candy is actually an expensive proposition. By the time you factor in rolling the tubes, making the nozzle and buying the ingredients (one of which is hard to buy and much of its sales are restricted, thus bringing you to the government's attention) all adds up to a decent sum of cash. If you are creative (coupons, sales, etc.) you can actually build up a decent stash of commercial motors for not a lot of money.

* Most importantly, rocket candy is DANGEROUS to make. You have to heat a flammable mixture and one false move could have it going off in your face. It might not explode, but getting splattered with flaming syrupy bits of melted sugar is not my idea of a good day.

So, unless you are a licensed pyrotechnician (and some of our fellow members ARE), it is best to leave the motor construction to the professionals. Trust me - the challenges of building a rocket that goes up and comes back safely using a commercial motor can be challenge enough, especially if you are scratch building everything else (I have flown LOTS of paper rockets, so I know what I'm talking about here). I've been back in rocketry for 5 or 6 years now, and there are still lots of challenges I have yet to tackle without thinking about making my own motors.

Last edited:
I successfully used paper towel and toilet paper tubes for "disposable" rockets when I was first starting out, with rudimentary paper or cardboard fins and paper nosecones. While mine were ugly and not great performers, it was still a heck of a lot of fun launching them.

Well, as someone who has *only* made EX sugar motors as a BAR, I can state that it *can* be done safely and reliably by someone with no prior experience or outside help. However, it does require a *serious* investment of time (research) and materials. Plan on spending several hundred hours and several hundred dollars before firing your first motor. Seriously. If you have the time, cash, and dedication, I say go for it. You will learn far more than most rocketeers will ever know, and there are few experiences that compare to launching a rocket designed and built entirely from scratch.

On the other hand, if you are just looking to save a few bucks over purchasing commercial motors, you should definitely pay attention to what the others have said. If you are not willing to invest the time and money required, you are almost guaranteed failure, and the chances of injuring yourself or damaging something in the process are indeed quite high.

I am a decently experienced pyrotechnician(not yet licensed though), and I have been making r candy for a few months now.

Adding a delay and ejection charge to a rocket candy motor is a lot more difficult than just making the motor.

Ah! That's something most pyrotechnicians are experts at.

For me, most of the fun lies in the making of the motor. I could make blackpowder motors, if someone advises me against candy.

Gnomad, how can I make styrofoam nozzles without lathe or drilling machine? I don't mind spending time on shaping it.

I turn my styrofoam nose cones using a drill press, although I have seen some people turn them using hand(electric) drills. A good trick is to use a hardwood dowel as your core, and make it long enough to protrude through both the base and tip of the nose cone. Chuck the end at the base, and then turn the tip end to a slight point, enough that you can wedge it into the core of an old set of sealed bearings. I found a single childs-size rollerblade boot on the side of the road a while back and pulled the eight sealed bearings from it. One of the big advantages to using paper mache to cover the styrofoam is that it sands very easily and is surprisingly strong. After you have built up several layers of paper, do a coat or two of thinned fill-n-finish to fill any gaps and make everything nicely smooth. If you want a *really* strong and slick nose cone, dilute some epoxy with acetone to paintable consistency and paint.

It is a fair bit of work, of course, but if you are already making your own motors, you are well aware of the amount of work that goes into full-ex launches.

BTW, I think you will find that a small bench-top drill press in the $80 - $100 price range well worth the investment if you plan to get seriously into rocketry. I used my drill press, along with an angle grinder and set of files to turn all of the tooling I use to make my rammed bentonite nozzles.

If you have more time than cash, you could easily kick it old-skool and make yourself a non-electric, pedal-driven lathe just like the ones used for thousands of years prior to the development of electric motors.

Yet another option is to find an old upright vacuum cleaner and use it to power your lathe. You won't get enough torque to turn much more than styrofoam and paper, but if you disassemble it carefully, you can keep the suction active such that you can use it to both drive the lathe *and* suck up all the styrofoam dust at the same time.

I have had such good results with my styrofoam/paper mache construction techniques that I plan to work on a series of cigar-shaped rockets in the same style. I actually have two upright vacuum cleaners (yet again, pulled from the side of the road) one of which is in the process of being re-purposed as a light-duty lathe with a 6 foot bed.

Also, in regards to delay grains and ejection charges for EX motors, I did not experience any of the difficulties many people report. My first four motors used plugged forward bulkheads while I was testing retention techniques. Motors 3 and 4 failed while trying to determine minimal retention requirements. For the fifth test, I returned to the stronger retention that worked on the first two tests and added a delay and ejection charge. It worked flawlessly. Here is a link to some pics and video:

https://sites.google.com/site/gnomadexperimentalrocketry/Home/static-motor-tests/st-005

Here are some photographs of my delay grains. The grey material is the standard bentonite/wax mix. The white/red material is the delay mix developed by Chuck Knight and documented on Richard Nakka's site.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gnomad/DelayGrains

No formulas given on that page, so that link should be TRF-safe. I have used exactly the same technique on some 500 motors now ranging from low E through high G total impulse with only a few failures. Analysis of every failure revealed a cause in construction, not design. With more attention to detail in construction, no failure types were repeated.

Finally, if you are interested in sugar propellants, you *definitely* need to get on the SugPro mailing list. The list is generally quiet until someone asks a question, but questions rarely go unanswered.

Back