Bad Memorial Day Weekend for Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyrocket

Reaction score
Well, it was not a very good memorial day weekend. I was launching at my in-laws house and had a few problems. First up was my father-in-law's 3" diablo. This is the rocket he certed L1 with at MDRA. We loaded an AT F20-4 and it catoed right when it came up to full pressure. Half the motor mount was blown away as well as two fins. The rocket is pretty much totaled. I am going to try an rebuild her as a gift to my father-in-law. I plan on filling out a MESS report and reporting it to AT tomorrow. I will post the ugly aftermath once I get the photos from my brother-in-law.

Next, I flew my FrankenDaddy (rebuilt big daddy after a major lawn dart) with an F24. I had a blow-by of the forward o-ring and had flames shooting out both ends of the rocket. It's a little toasty, but it still seems to be flyable with a little bit a repair. Any know if you can buy just the forward closure for the 24/40 motor?

The last was my father-in-laws tuber (2 stage rocket from Squirrelworks). Takeoff was great, second stage lit and it was gone. Never saw an ejection event...never saw it come down. My father-in-law thinks he did not friction fit the upper stage motor tight enough and the motor got kicked out.

On a brighter side of things, my two daughters successfully launched their new rockets and had a safe recovery (Fliskits Triskelion). Even though this was the worst weekend I have ever had with rockets, at least my daughters rockets are safe and sound.

At least you got to launch. All my rockets got destroyed by being sat on and I never got to launch one. :( :( Sorry to hear about what happened but it is cool that you father-in-law is in to the hobby along with you daughters. No one in my family is into it,( or is still into it ) Well, maybe my little cousin, but he doesn't have one so that doesn't count.

Originally posted by Lucky 94
All my rockets got destroyed by being sat on...

DOOD! NO!!!

I think the old line about fishing works here too.

"A bad day launching rockets is still better than a good day at work".

...unless you're Jim Flis and launching rockets IS your work - then I think you should just feel pretty lucky.

GOOGLE it:

https://blastzone.com/performancehobbies/store.asp?groupid=48

Originally posted by Crazyrocket
Well, it was not a very good memorial day weekend. I was launching at my in-laws house and had a few problems. First up was my father-in-law's 3" diablo. This is the rocket he certed L1 with at MDRA. We loaded an AT F20-4 and it catoed right when it came up to full pressure. Half the motor mount was blown away as well as two fins. The rocket is pretty much totaled. I am going to try an rebuild her as a gift to my father-in-law. I plan on filling out a MESS report and reporting it to AT tomorrow. I will post the ugly aftermath once I get the photos from my brother-in-law.

Next, I flew my FrankenDaddy (rebuilt big daddy after a major lawn dart) with an F24. I had a blow-by of the forward o-ring and had flames shooting out both ends of the rocket. It's a little toasty, but it still seems to be flyable with a little bit a repair. Any know if you can buy just the forward closure for the 24/40 motor?

The last was my father-in-laws tuber (2 stage rocket from Squirrelworks). Takeoff was great, second stage lit and it was gone. Never saw an ejection event...never saw it come down. My father-in-law thinks he did not friction fit the upper stage motor tight enough and the motor got kicked out.

On a brighter side of things, my two daughters successfully launched their new rockets and had a safe recovery (Fliskits Triskelion). Even though this was the worst weekend I have ever had with rockets, at least my daughters rockets are safe and sound.

Originally posted by Crazyrocket
Any know if you can buy just the forward closure for the 24/40 motor?

Call or e-mail Andy Woerner at What's Up Hobbies. I bet he can get what you need. It would be Rouse Tech brand, but it would be fully compatible with your case even if it AT branded.

Originally posted by Lucky 94
I was surprised they only sell one size of 24mm motors.

Hmmm, I want a 25/24. Do they make these?

Jonah, I know what you meant, but this was just too good to pass up.
:eek: :D

Here is the picture of my father-in-laws Diablo after the F20 CATO. AT stated that they would send new motors. I just need to send them the motor.

Warning - do not open attachment if you have a weak stomach.

Here is a picture of the what's left of the motor. It kicked out the propellant. I ended up burning it. It almost looked new.

[
Any know if you can buy just the forward closure for the 24/40 motor?
[/B][/QUOTE]
AT sells just the closures on their online store!

Back