Successful L1 Cert Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, last weekend I finally got out to completing my L1 Cert flight with my Apogee Katana at the Stealey Memorial Launch Site at Hudson Ranch as part of the S.C.O.R.E. October 21 Odd Rocket Launch! Woot woot! Gosh there were alot of rocketeer out there -- including TVM. Yes, it was great that Tim was there -- as I pinged him a couple of times for his thoughts -- but it was also a bit nerve wracking using Tim's rocket for my cert flight with his watchful eyes right there! Anyways, the flight did not go entirely as planned, despite all of my pre-planning. I had not looked at my supplies in a while, so while I thought that I had loaded everything into my truck that I needed for my launch -- the Katana was set up as a two stage but I was only launching as a one stager -- somehow I did not have the correct 54mm motor. The concensus was that what I had -- an H135W-14A -- was not going to be appropriate. So, I took out the electronics bay -- shortening the rocket by a good 18 inches -- and prepared to launch just the shorter, single stage. But as the Katana was set up for the 54mm motor, I needed a motor adapter (actually, a couple) to get from the 54mm to 29mm to use the motor that I had, which were graciously provided by ModelRocketGuy (Jesse) -- a real life saver! Juan Cedillo did the actual certification, and he was fantastic! Juan walked through the entire model, asked me a lot of great questions, and then was there at the pad when it was time to get it ready for launch. The launch was uneventful, my wife and I collected the rocket from the field, Juan inspected and provided my final certification and it was a wrap! I had brought a couple of other rockets with me to launch, but given how long it took me to get the Katana ready to go and up in the air, I decided to save them -- well actually, my wife decided to save them -- for another day. I will post up a video here shortly.

Attachments

• John and Katana at Launch.jpg
    John and Katana at Launch.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
What a great feeling! Enjoy!

Now go do a victory lap, again with the same motor.

I think you did it the right way, motor eject, no electronics, dual deploy, cameras, a lot less is go wrong.

You will really enjoy the day! So much work goes into making this happen, it's nice that everyone at the site gets so excited for your accomplishments!
Congrats on your L1!

I totally agree about the work that goes into a L1. Mine was 15 years ago and I still remember what that accomplishment was like. Probably more memorable than L2 or L3 was.

Enjoy and have fun!

Well, last weekend I finally got out to completing my L1 Cert flight with my Apogee Katana at the Stealey Memorial Launch Site at Hudson Ranch as part of the S.C.O.R.E. October 21 Odd Rocket Launch! Woot woot! Gosh there were alot of rocketeer out there -- including TVM. Yes, it was great that Tim was there -- as I pinged him a couple of times for his thoughts -- but it was also a bit nerve wracking using Tim's rocket for my cert flight with his watchful eyes right there! Anyways, the flight did not go entirely as planned, despite all of my pre-planning. I had not looked at my supplies in a while, so while I thought that I had loaded everything into my truck that I needed for my launch -- the Katana was set up as a two stage but I was only launching as a one stager -- somehow I did not have the correct 54mm motor. The concensus was that what I had -- an H135W-14A -- was not going to be appropriate. So, I took out the electronics bay -- shortening the rocket by a good 18 inches -- and prepared to launch just the shorter, single stage. But as the Katana was set up for the 54mm motor, I needed a motor adapter (actually, a couple) to get from the 54mm to 29mm to use the motor that I had, which were graciously provided by ModelRocketGuy (Jesse) -- a real life saver! Juan Cedillo did the actual certification, and he was fantastic! Juan walked through the entire model, asked me a lot of great questions, and then was there at the pad when it was time to get it ready for launch. The launch was uneventful, my wife and I collected the rocket from the field, Juan inspected and provided my final certification and it was a wrap! I had brought a couple of other rockets with me to launch, but given how long it took me to get the Katana ready to go and up in the air, I decided to save them -- well actually, my wife decided to save them -- for another day. I will post up a video here shortly.
Oh wow congratulations on your L1!! Very cool!

Congrats on your L1!

I totally agree about the work that goes into a L1. Mine was 15 years ago and I still remember what that accomplishment was like. Probably more memorable than L2 or L3 was.

Enjoy and have fun!
Mine L1 was last weekend! I started building it about a month before the flight. It was such an experience, that I've been waiting 33 years for. Seriously congratulations to all above too along with the OG.

I did and long story short about having to make a scratch build in 3.5 days, is that I certed and am L1.
Thats great! I took a little more time with mine over the course of a few weeks. But honeslty thought if I had to rush it, that would be about the timeframe I was thinking, 2 or 3 days. I've also heard of guys building them the night before then flying them, heck one of my friends did that recently.

You have a flight video? Either way congratulations!

Back