Bad fisheye problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droopy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok folks,

I need help. I'm building a Fiberglass Lil Rascal and was almost done when I ran into this. Working on the nosecone using Krylon spray paints (Used it for years without issues). I primed the nosecone, and then painted it gloss black. I noticed I had one small fisheye near the top. I let the paint cure, then sanded the whole thing down to bare fiberglass. I then scrubbed the whole thing with acetone, and tried again. Now I have a million fisheyes all over the primer.

I'm thinking of sanding it down again tonight and scrubbing with dishsoap and water. I'm guessing I somehow got a tiny drop of oil in there somehow, but not sure.

Any ideas?

John

from my body shop days, fisheyes came from silicone in the painting area. your workspace could have some in it. lubricants in the garage can cause contamination. my experience comes from 2 stage auto paint but still might apply, hope this helps.

There's a couple thing that could have happened--1- you washed it with acetone--this can cause the glass to release a bit of resin--this is likely the cause--lacquer thinner would have been a better choice as a wash down fluid--let it dry completely !! 2-An oily substance in the environment--hands-kerosene heater--any number of things--not really likely since it did not happen as bad the first time---If it were me--I'd let it dry completely and reprime as is and then moist sand out any problem areas--dimples and such----a final coat of primer and I think you'll be good to go

Yeah, I tried washing with dishsoap. The fisheyes are still all over it, but not as bad. I let the new primer dry completely, wet sanded, primed (more fisheyes), and painted it. Think I'm just going to have to deal with it... I'm guessing that a drop of tool oil got in the wrong air hose, somehow got on the nosecone, and everytime I try to sand it down, I'm just spreading the little bits of oil around... Frustrating...

John

Back