Australian Dangerous Creatures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geographer cone snail (Conus geographus)...scared me since childhood:
View attachment 623975
They will kill you.....As you'll probably be diving.... It makes avoiding death a long trip to the surface and hopefully, you'll attract someone's attention while in a massive amount of pain.....
Australian Coneshell

Dived in Darwin harbour. Found my hand about 4" away from one..... If it's going to happen...... Much more likely to get shot accidentally in the US.....I'd get out of there first....
I'd love to be able to go back and visit Australia again. It is an amazing place and you meet great people. What more could you want.
That was mostly a joke I’d love to visit I’ll just have to look up how each animal will try and kill me :)

That was mostly a joke I’d love to visit I’ll just have to look up how each animal will try and kill me :)
I figured as much but I couldn't stop my fingers. :) We spent 2 years in Queensland and loved it. Didn't knowingly get up and close to anything too dangerous. One thing I know they don't have is the 14" of snow we have or predicted low for tonight of 3F.

I figured as much but I couldn't stop my fingers. :) We spent 2 years in Queensland and loved it. Didn't knowingly get up and close to anything too dangerous. One thing I know they don't have is the 14" of snow we have or predicted low for tonight of 3F.
This?image.jpg
We haven’t had a good snow in years!

I watched a photography video made in Australia. The photographer and model went out in the middle of nowhere and for half of the video she was standing in the middle of a dirt road with brush on both sides of the road. Because of this thread all I could think about was how close might the nearest dangerous creature be. Then they went to a park and he photographed the model in the brush in some shade under the trees. I was really wondering what might be crawling around in the grass there.

We were driving in Mozambique. Been driving long enough nothing was being said.
I said to guide/driver, "is that a snake crossing the road?"
……………
thump thump.
…………….
He said, "Puff Adder."

This is a venomous spider in Australia. This one is bigger than normal. It was captured so it's venom could be used to make antidotes.View attachment 625623

Looks like a Sydney Funnel Web. We get those, so not confined to Sydney.

Deadliest spider in the world. Go ‘Straya!

What is your source for this? (The Eastern diamondback, for example, makes this list not for the quality of its venom, but for the quantity of its venom [per bite].). Many scholars would put Bungarus multicinctus (banded krait, SE Asia) at least as high as #9. (Ask Joe Slowinski. . .) Australia still has an amazing percentage of venomous species, and not just of snakes!

In Rick Wakeman's book he talks about people screaming at him not to go out into the woods next to the fairway looking for the ball when he was golfing in Australia. He said he didn't even get penalized a stroke... just drop a new one and get on with it.
If you have not read Rick's books and want a good laugh, read them!!! Can't recomend them enough.
My particular favorite was his trip to Russia...

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and going of Him. May His passing cleanse the world.

They also make good flying.model rockets. Parasitic Worm Flying Fun For The Entire Family!
IMG_20140718_104036998_HDR.jpg

Sand worms make good telescopic rockets where there is no countdown to launch, just set thumper and chant Shai Hulud.

IMG_20180519_111250722.jpg

Worm rockets rock!

By far the most deadly creatures in and coming out of Australia are ...The Wiggles. All of the VCR tapes and CD's. Five years, two daughters, constant viewing and going to see them live on tour.

One day Captain Feathersword fell asleep aboard his pirate ship...when he woke up he was on a farm...QUACK, QUACK, QUACK QUACK, COCKEL DOODLE DO!

The only possible cure was to build rockets like this:
20210612_115746.jpg

Mashed banana mashed banana.

Hot Potato hot Potato.

Cold Spaghetti cold Spaghetti.

The PTSD still lingers. :)

Back