Australian Dangerous Creatures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The deadliest animal in Australia or anywhere else, is man. That's self evident.
Sad but true. I prefer learning about the bugs and snakes and thinking 'Ohhhh, Austrailia is dangerous' but I bet Atlanta, Detroit and a handful of other places a few hours away are way more dangerous than worrying about a spider. Kinda disenchanting, but I have zero argument.

I've been saying this for years.
Sad, but true. They are big animals and their kick can easily kill. Friends of ours had a stock-horse farm near Anglesea. There was a girl visiting them and when leading the horses down to the dam one horse kicked backwards and got the girl in the sternum. Split the aorta. Very sad.

Sad, but true. They are big animals and their kick can easily kill. Friends of ours had a stock-horse farm near Anglesea. There was a girl visiting them and when leading the horses down to the dam one horse kicked backwards and got the girl in the sternum. Split the aorta. Very sad.
Riding a "barn sour" mare in a dry wash. She went stupid, reared, lost her footing and came over on top of me. If I'd been riding a saddle and not bare-back, I suspect the saddle horn would have done the same to me.

So I browse what's new on YouTube, come across this one and think of this thread.

Don’t ‘resurrect’ animals which no longer have suitable habitat. That’s just being stupid twice.

<edit> The Thylacine was never a dangerous animal.
It will be interesting to see if they succeed. Sounds like a tough puzzle to crack.

It won't be a Thylacine, it will be a Thylacine/Dunnart chimera which has no place being released into the wild.
If they can do it, I doubt they would release fertile ones in the wild. Not much point in releasing sterile ones either. Interesting nonetheless.

If they can do it, I doubt they would release fertile ones in the wild. Not much point in releasing sterile ones either. Interesting nonetheless.

I think you underestimate the stupidity of the people in charge. Australia has a long history of monumental environmental stuffups green-lighted by the 'Best People' for the job.

Apart from Red Fire Ants introduced 'accidentally' (by mining companies improperly disinfecting second-hand mining equipment purchased overseas,) the rest of our invasive species problems were deliberate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_in_Australia

I think you underestimate the stupidity of the people in charge. Australia has a long history of monumental environmental stuffups green-lighted by the 'Best People' for the job.

Apart from Red Fire Ants introduced 'accidentally' (by mining companies improperly disinfecting second-hand mining equipment purchased overseas,) the rest of our invasive species problems were deliberate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_in_Australia
Same here.
Cane toads: Introduced as agricultural pest control. Now considered an invasive species.
Mongoose: Introduced to control the rat population on sugar cane land. But rats are active at night and mongoose are active during the day. Wound up decimating the native bird population. Duh.

Case: Rabbits

Introduced as a food source by the English colonists.

Around 1950 Myxoma virus introduced to control rabbit plague. Didn't really work.

"In 1991, a strain of the RHDVa virus, Czech CAPM 351RHDV, was imported to Australia[42] under strict quarantine conditions to research the safety and usefulness of the virus if it were used as a biological control agent against Australia and New Zealand's rabbit pest problem. Testing of the virus was undertaken on Wardang Island in Spencer Gulf off the coast of the Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1995, the virus escaped quarantine and subsequently killed 10 million rabbits within 8 weeks of its release.[43]"

(Emphasis mine)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_hemorrhagic_disease

"Escaped quarantine"? Yep. Being looked after by the top men in the business. Top. Men.

It should be noted that the majority of rabbits killed by this 'incident' were commercially farmed rabbits being bred for food.

Go figure. I really don't think these people could run a bath, let alone a biological program.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and going of Him. May His passing cleanse the world.

Let's get away from snakes and such!

How 'bout the ordinary (at least in Utah!) magpie?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-66920781
1696083211655.png

The whir of flapping wings; the glint of a sharp beak in the sun; a flash of their reddish-brown eyes - all enough to strike fear in the hearts of many.
"I am genuinely terrified," Tione Zylstra tells the BBC.
The 21-year-old's local train station is vigilantly guarded by a magpie, and during breeding season it plays target practice with her head weekly.
"They're silent killers… I'll just see this shadow over my head getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

"I have asthma and I would be sprinting, having an asthma attack on the train, just to get away from this magpie."

Back